max range 22-250

You could reliably kill coyotes at further distances than what have been mentioned with 55s from a 22-250 no problem with an able shooter. BUT the problem is wind drift with that light of a bullet, just a 5 mph crosswind has an extreme effect on bullets that light at distances beyond 400 yards.

I would say 550. can they be killed farther?/ Of course, but not consistently IMHO.
It's important to use a rangefinder. Most guys can not extimate distance very weel at all, and that means from 30 yards on out.
As mentioned , wind drift is an accuracy killer as well.

Yeah Im very poor at ranging and thus keep my shots under 200 yards. Im more curious from guys who shoot out there, like past 350-400 yards on dogs with this cal.

Cheers!!

On Yotes Id say a 22-250 is do-able with a 55 to 500. I believe it has the killing power past that with the right construction, but I don't believe that I could put a 55 on target at 800.

I could stretch a 65 GMK to 800 out of a 22-250, and bigger bullets as well. I've shot at dogs past that with my AR, and lucky for them it was just shot at. I'd feel safer with a 22-250 and one of the Berger VLDs at farther distances and calmer conditions.

As of late I have been toying with the idea of a new bolt gun in a .243-.264 cal for varmints just for longer shots.

i have killed coyotes at 612, 583, 565, 502, and several between 350 to 450.... with a 223.

many of them were one shot kills, a few required "sighters"

a 55gr v-max in the chest of a coyote will put it down with no problems even if it is not super fast.

Very good question.

If you can hit a coyote at what ever range you are shooting then I will say the following.

Shot placement (i.e. luck) will have a big part of it. I have had a one shot kill with an AR at 400 yards with a 50 V-max. Lucky, "educated shot" LOL, that hit right where you would want.

300 yard shot with another 223 and 55 V-max and the coyote went down the same as one I shot the other day with a 22-250 and a 55 Nosler Ballistic Tip.

It is hard to fight the urge of taking those long shots for me but I am getting better at it.

If you can hit the coyote in the right spot and the bullet does what it is supposed to do its going to be crap shoot on the maximum distance. Probably between 500 and 600 yards.

A few things I have learned is that I have seen good solid hits well under 100 yards and the dogs ran off or walked off. For longer ranges I have seen an advantage with a heavier caliber like the 25-06.

I had always lusted for a .22-250 and have owned 3. The first was not accurate at all. The second was very accurate but I ended up selling it. The jury is still out on the third as I haven't shot it much at all.

Everyone is correct, a cross wind will really ruin your day on long shots. I limit myself to 400 yards with the .22-250.

Two years ago I purchased a .243 Win in a Winchester. Now that is a cartridge. If I had to buy that .22-250 over again it would be in .243 Win.

Here is what it boils down to, when looking into precision shots at mid to long range with this specified caliber, the Rifles capabilities are not what you need to be asking about, it's whether or not YOU can make the shot, it's whether or not YOU know the variables you are shooting in... If you don't know your trajectory beyond the distances you normally shoot, or the wind drift, or the effect on velocity sub zero temps cause on your propellent etc. etc. then your gonna benefit by shooting first, and learning from your misses (on targets, not on coyotes)

I've taken 3 @ around 500 yards with 50 gr Berger HP from my 22-250. Almost connected on a 600 yarder too, but was just short...If it had been 4" higher I would have had my first double @ over 500.

Back