What choke for 12 gauge for predators and what kind of shells?

champ198

Got an old 12 gauge that I would like to use for a predator gun but was wondering what choke would you all suggest using?

And what kind of shot gun shells do you all like

Depends on the distance your target is at, in general 0-25 full, out to 35-40 extra full, out to 50 plus turkey choke. My favorite is the extra full which is .695. And that's with #4 buck, 3 inch shell in an 18" barrel.

Last edited:
the gun I have now has my turkey choke in it which is a .665 undertaker. holds a great pattern with turkey loads but never tried any #4 buck out of it

Which choke? Whatever patterns best in YOUR shotgun with the shells that you are going to HUNT with.

I prefer #4 buck. It gives multiple hits with pellets that could kill individually.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoWhich choke? Whatever patterns best in YOUR shotgun with the shells that you are going to HUNT with.

I prefer #4 buck. It gives multiple hits with pellets that could kill individually.

There you have it. Hidalgo is right, there is no substitute for testing.

I like #4 because of the effectiveness as well as cost. Sure, Dead Coyote T-shot is fabulous, IF you can afford the over $5/shell to use on coyotes. Sorry, this working man can't do that.

Back