Whats The Best Bipod/Shooting Sticks?!?!

WvDalt

Just wondering whay some of you all prefer as 'shooting aids" you could call them. Im talking about bipods, shooting sticks etc. What do you use as a rifle rest while calling stands? Brand names, model numbers, whatever just be specific, trying to pick your brain and utilize the wealth of knowledge on here lol Thanks!

Not saying these are the best, but I use a set of Stoney Point Pole Cat extendable bi pod made for sitting or kneeling, and I also use a set of wooden Hunter Specialty shooting sticks. I like the sticks because it has a rubber loop on the top that you can just run the barrel through and then pack it that way. But for some of my rifles, the rubber loop is too tight and it squeezes the barrel into the barrel channel on my stock, so I will use the other set for those few rifles. I don't know if it puts enough pressure on the barrel to make a POI change, but since I do my fair share of missing all on my own, I just choose to not chance it.

Unless I'm shooting prone I dont use bipods. They are not long enough or comfortable enough for my height from sitting positions. I made some homemade shooting sticks out of 1/2 inch dowels aND a cotter pin. Cost me maybe 5 bucks. They work great and if you lose or break them your not out a bunch. Adjustable by spreading them wider and steady for most hubting I do

After years of doing this calling thing I have bought and used many brands and many types of bi pods and sticks this is what i have come to know . A bipod is very solid BUT its attatched to the rifle .
This is good for a steady sight target BUT if you get on uneven terrain such as a side hill and old whiley comes in say to your far left or right and you have to swing the bipod the uneven ground is most likely going to be a deal breaker as it will cant your barrel.
And not being able to quickly remove the bipod from the rifle will cause you coyotes sooner or later , This is where a pair of sticks comes in handy .
If you need to get rid of them just push them away .The Hunters specialty sticks are great but a little on the short side if a hill is steep or the snow is deep .
So far the best sticks i have used are the bog-pod adjustable sticks, They also make a pair that is a tri-pod and you see a few of the best callers useing them as they are very solid.
A Bipod is also very heavy and when added to the weight of the rifle for me its a deal breaker a set of sticks can aid you in the field as they can be used to push down a wire fence while crossing or as a walking stick.
There are a lot of diffrent sticks that i have tried but did not mention the brand names as i have found the brand I liked best out of all of them and that is the Bog-pod.
Thats my advice for what its worth .

I don't like a mounted bipod. They are just not as versatile as shooting sticks. I have a set of Harris 27" and they are not quite tall enough for me unless I'm setting on nothing more than a cushion. And they tend to get caught up in weeds/grass/briars/etc. when I have to re position for a shot. They are currently in my spare stuff pile.
There are lots of commercially made shooting sticks available, it's a ford vs chevy thing among users. I personally like the BogPods. I have their bipod for ground hunting and the tripod for stand up hunting at night. I have also made my own bipod sticks and they work well.
There have been lots of discussions about sticks here in the past, if you don't get the answer you're looking for in this thread, try the search option. Lots of home made sticks in the history.

Other than prone, and I don't hunt prone very often, I prefer shooting sticks. Homemade work just fine. I have found that "Dan Brother's" style backwards seat to be the most stable rest platform I have tried. We use a Primos three legged stool with the modified back similar to Dan's. I also have lower "turkey hunter" style seats that I like but they are much more limited as to the "field of fire" I can cover. It's a trade off with bipods and sticks. Each has pros and cons but for me the sticks win.

Last edited:
Home made stix work well. Just take a couple of 3/4 by 1 1/2 " pieces of wood from your local lumber yard and make your own. I have tried Monopods and tripods, bipods. "which I still have and use on occasion" But I usually go back to the old shooting sticks. A fellow named Varmint Al has/had a website with lots of useful info as to how to build them. Good luck with your choices. I would try the cheap way first.

Two sticks of your choice biased on what you need and some bungee cord or castration bands. And you are ready. If you forget or loose them then make another.

get some electric fence posts from tractor supply there about 1/2" round by 4' long I drill them about 4" from top and use a machine screw with washers and lock nut easy height adjustable and work well just to drop down on one knee and shoot I even carry them for deer hunting

My best sticks are made from x country ski poles. Works well for a walking stick when bungeed together. I use a par cord or nylon 3/16 rope to wrap around the about the height they are to used. Then take it of and rub shoe go or some other magic liquid. The par a cord can now slide up and down and stop where you want it by spreading them. The points work well to dig into the ground. Usually they will stand by themselves. I bungee a mono pod to them and use it sometimes.

I use shooting sticks for the reasons many have mentioned above: lighter, versatile, easily moved, and my Harris bipod was too short. So I made my own shooting sticks out of 4' electric fence stays, the fiberglass ones. I painted them camo and dipped the top 6in in plasti-dip. To hold them together I use either castrating bands or a 4in piece of bungy with holes drilled in it.

I also have a stoney point/primos rapid pivot bipod that works really well, but I keep going back to my homemade sticks.

My bipod now resides in my shooting cupboard. Made my own tripod from camera tripod. On second set of shooting sticks. Useing the Primo's bipod trigger sticks right now. I really like the rapid deployment. You can sit or stand to use. Legs adjust to uneven ground quickly. Didn't think i would like because of the weight or length but hasn't been an issue. First season on these , so far i give them two thumbs up for my style hunting.

I suggest useing the search engine at the top of the page. Do a search on these. Helped make up my mind.

Happy shopping !

I have several sets of homemade shooting sticks, some made from 3/4" and some from 1/2" wood dowels in different lengths. I used them for several years with no real issues. This year I tried something new and bought a Primos Magnum Kickstand and a Primos Rapid Pivot Pole Cat. I've already had some issues with the magnum kickstand on uneven ground and hillsides. I supposed they have their places to shine but I'm leaning towards going back to my old sticks for that set up. The Rapid Pivot Pole Cat hasn't given me any troubles at all so far but I haven't used them for long.

I've tried a lot, now just two (kinds). For one attached to my rifle-Stoney Point (I have the old ones with black rubber). Yes they are attached, but are removable in less than one second with one hand. Put your hand where the rifle meets the bipod and make a fist, they're off. For ones not attached to my rifle-Primos Trigger Sticks. A little heavy, but for adjusting leg height on uneven ground nothing is faster. Everyone talks about a swiveling head-big deal, almost all can do that. Tell me about how quick you can adjust the leg height.

I decide what I'm gonna use based on where and how I plan to hunt, now having said that I take adjustable sticks with the swivel head at least 75 % of the time. I learned how much of a pain in the butt a bipod can be, getting caught up in yucca plants, snow, uneven ground, etc. With sticks you can kick them out of the way in that situation and not blow every chance you have. Also when you get a burner coming in at a sharp angle you can throw the sticks aside and swing faster and get on target.
I do think having a bottom rail mounted on your gun with QD bipod would be handy but I have not had a chance to try that as of yet.
I debated between sticks and a bipod all night before a deer hunt this weekend, I settled on the bipod and considering how the hunt worked out I am Very glad I did. I geuss if you can't tell I'm a bit of a fence rider on this one, they both have their pros and cons but overall I feel like sticks offer more versatility than bipod in most calling situations.

The best I would have to say would be a pair of shooting sticks that are homemade. I made a pair out of garden stakes and heavy duty rubber bands. It works.

I carry both in the field. I have a harris bipod attached for when im on flatter land and i carry some homemade sticks made from two old carbon fiber arrows and a prusik knot, for hill sides and uneven ground. I like the attached Bipod cause you can fold them out and set the gun down without worrying about laying the rifle in the dirt or having it tip over. But as mentioned in earlier posts you cant beat the versatility of sticks when you need to move side to side.

Back