Warm Hunting Boots

Hotrod1968

Did a search and some of the posts were kind of old. With new technology out there what are you guys using to keep your feet warm. I need ankle support when walking across plowed fields etc. Been wearing Danner Pronghorns with 1000 grams but they don't keep my feet warm like they used too. Guess I'm getting old.
Thank You

I am interested in responses to this question as well. I have looked at the white "Mickey Mouse" boots in my local Army surplus store - very clunky, but apparently quite warm. Baffin makes some warm boots - but they all look like they weigh more than a brick! So what are people wearing - especially those of you with Reynaud's?

And along this same line - what gloves work the best for really cold days? I have my standard Cabelas primaloft two layer gloves - but somedays they don't cut the cold enough. I am not a warm blooded person - probably my age....

For boots with little or no snow on the ground I like my Meindls from Cabela's I think they are called Canadas or similar. I've used these since the 70's. They are Leather,high, insulated, and have goretex. When I get 4inches of snow I swith to my baffins. Toasty warm with a regular sock. I do a lot of calling and not a lot of walking in the baffins so they work well.

For gloves I use ski gloves from Costco. I just pull one off when I shoot.

I've had my Baffins at least ten years of winter use. They have a felt liner, so if I get in too deep , I can pull them and dry them. They are still going. I'd recommend them.

Bunny boots, have the best traction there is on real dry snow. On wet snow more traction is better. But for dry snow and very cold the smoother sole is best. Best way to keep your extremities warm is to keep your core real warm. Polyester is your friend, cotton is your enemy !!!

My White Bata bunny boots are as warm as my Baffin North Slope boots . I use mittens to keep my hands warm with a white liner glove on inside.

My 1st winter in the Interior I learned how important it was to keep my trunk and legs real warm. . I bet that doubling up on your polar tek long johns will cure the cold feet problems. . If not, add another layer. All these newest super high teck fabrics and way to expensive Under Armor long johns are no replacement for plenty of layers. At 20 below F I wear thin poly top and bottom. 200 weight top and bottom. Fleece shirt and Malone pants or 300 weight wind proof fleece pants then my camo over the top.
I tried the wool liners and prefer the polyester liners with Fox River tall thick wool poly blend socks. For long days I wear a cotton crew sock on the outside of them to help keep the sweat away from my skin.

That makes sense. My legs are always cold. Must be an age thing when I was younger my legs never bothered me much, but at 61 years old things are going to pot I guess.

As you guys are getting winter down there and you guys may not be used to it. I'm glad more hunters are having to hunt in the cold as the hue and cry hopefully will be raised for snow camo that is in big enough sizes so it can be worn over arctic gear.
When we r young our bodies make heat real well. When I turned 50 I had to add another layer. And to spend all night out in the arctic I added a normal winter parka under my arctic parka

If you look close you will see they are partly iced over. And my face mask is froze up. I was actually starting to get a bit light headed when this pic was taken from not getting enough air. The hazy apearence of the pic is ice fog. I keep spare goggles on the back of my compressor, face masks and warm liner gloves also. My feet and body do fine most of the time but goggles and face masks freeze up every couple hours or less. If I'm workin hard I breath too much and they ice over pretty fast. Only make it 25 minutes sometimes. I have 1 good breath warming face mask that directs my exhaled breath down and I'll get a 2-4" long ice fang growing down out of it. Being able to go back and stand behind the compressor makes the job doable.
Without my Canada Goose Resolute, Ide be hard pressed to work in those temps.
As you can see [beeep], my beautiful 800$ parka isn't too pretty any more.

Last edited:
I've tried face masks that are suppposed to direct your breath ad have found the ones I've tried to be lacking. I've manage to get away with not needing glasses until this past summer, but now I'm enjoying all the irritating fogging that I've heard others complain about.

I am familiar with ice fog. Great stuff if I'm home. And I love hunting predators the morning after it passes. 2 inches of hoar frost and the silence is outstanding.

I do not envy you trying to work in those temps. I've worked here in -40 on machinery so I have an idea how entertaining it can be. Add a stiff breeze and it is downright ignorant.

Well try to stay safe and warm. Only got about 6 more months before it starts to improve.
thumbup.gif

Back