Lightweight carry/calling rifle?

zr600

I thinking of building an lightweight ar for calling/carrying truck gun. Thinking a New Fronteir lw 15 complete lower, would like a 18-20" barrel kind of on a budget if possible throw me some ideas of good reliable uppers with decent barrels for the cost. I have been looking its kind of over whelming with all the brands out there.

I have been looking to build the same recently. I am looking at the same barrel length but may end up with 16" barrel. My plan is to get a BCM upper with bolt and charging handle. Looking at a SS 18" barrel on a intermediate or rifle length gas system. Then a KMR rail for its strength and light weight. Later down the road I will get a suppressor to put on the end to cap it off. Not cheap but should meet what your looking for.

Is there any lightway complete uppers? I like the look of the old rra coyote rifle but dont know how lite it would be.

Originally Posted By: zr600Is there any lightway complete uppers? I like the look of the old rra coyote rifle but dont know how lite it would be.

I put together an AR using an Anderson lower, with a Daniel Defense lower parts kit, and a Rock River Coyote carbine upper. It's fairly light, and shoots extremely well. I did put in a RRA Varmint trigger, as the standard AR triggers really suck. I also put together another AR that is even lighter weight than that one. I used an Anderson lower, and Palmetto State Armory lower parts kit, along with a PSA 16 inch upper. I gave it to my son, and he hasn't shot it much, so I don't know about the accuracy. From what I've seen, you can't go wrong with anything from Rock River. If I ever put together another one, I'll probably use RRA parts.

I don't know how light you want your total gun to be but I would look at something in the 16in barrel range and not a heavy barrel. I have a 16in RRA car4 with a 16in barrel and have a 1-4x scope on it and the kid has been carrying it for the last 5yrs. So he has been carrying since he was 10 and it never slowed him down. If you don't hang a bunch of stuff on it or mount a big scope on it you should be able to keep the weight down.

I would not mess with the plastic lowers. I would get a palmetto blemish lower for $49 with a blackhawk lower build kit for $69. $120 bucks for a ready to rock lower. Then I would get an ar stoner 18" fluted medium weight barrel. It makes for a handy little rifle. then a midwest gen 2 ss or a nordic float tube. if you wanna go 20" get a criterion hybrid or a black hole barrel that is basically the same. lilja makes something similar but the last 2 options will involve a wait.

The Coyote Carbine is just as accurate, just less velocity for longer shots. For coyote hunting distances, you won't notice. The 16" will be louder, but lighter and handier to carry. Personal preference. I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

I have been able to hit a 9in gong at 400yds with my 16in rra car4 with a 1-4x scope 9 out of 10 times. The kid also was smashing milk jugs at 450+ yds with it resting off a round bale. But have not had any varmints out that far that I needed to try a shot at.

Well if im looking at the same barrel and upper just a 20 over an 16 there really cant be that much of a difference in weight could there? I could see comparing a heavy 20 to a light weight 16. But the same two barrels just one 4 inches longer i dont know if you would relly feel the difference in weight would you? Plus how much will the 20 help in long rang vs the 16?

I did a light weight set up with a 16" 6x45 upper I already had. Got it to just under 7 lbs unloaded, with a weaver v3, leupold high light weight rings and a new frontier poly complete lower. It could have been lighter yet as my 16" was an SPR contour and not the light weight barrel. But I never really like the plastic lower and sold it. Then when Kansas legalized any center fire for deer season I sold the 6x45 upper as well. Should have kept it... It was really accurate!

Ok next question what caliber? I dont reload as of right now. Im thinking 204 what are your thoughts, this gun is for coyotes, foxes, prairie dogs.

Oh man, I went on this quest a few years ago. Started out with a plumb crazy lower, a run of the mill stripped upper with a dpms lightweight barrel and carbon fiber hand guard. Gave it a rattle can camo job and topped it off with a vortex diamondback 3.5-10x50. Hands down my favorite rifle, hasn't left the pickup since. Rifle is around 6 lbs with a loaded 20 rd mag.

6F09CB0E-A7D5-498F-80FC-8453D573008B-11452-00000D4EAD93AACA_zps9879e0cb.jpg

To keep it simple, I would just go 223 Rem. 55gr SP's.
A $300 Leupold AR 3-9x40 optic with Nikon M223 mount or $200 Burris Fullfield II E1 reticle 2-7x35mm optic is good.

A carbon fiber tube or free floating Midwest Industries rails and a 16 inch barrel to keep it easy to move with is nice.
This way you can shoot close and not get too much magnification or do the standard calling and ambush approach as well.

I would stay away from any type of muzzle brake people are doing 3 gun with.
A standard A2 flash hider like in cherokee305's picture for a work gun is fine.

For an inexpensive trigger, look to Rock River National Match drop in for around $70.
For a $$$ $200 option, Geissele (guyslee) SSA-E or Timney AR10 #607 model is good.
A nice trigger really does complete an AR and helps in accuracy factors.
Magazines- Pmag 20 round models or 10 round models are what I like and work for me.
Magpul MOE pistol grip and stock are what I like also.
I stay away from bull barrels if I am wanting to keep an AR nice and light weight.
A VTAC adjusting 2 point sling is nice too if you will be doing some walking as it keeps your rifle cross slung in front of you or hands free to tension it around you.

The Jav's in my Avatar pic were taken with 55gr SP's and dropped them hard while going through brush on 1x where 4x was too much.
Sometimes you will jump animals and when you do, it is nice to have a low power optic to track fast.
It is all dependent on the terrain you will be hunting.
As you can see, kneeling with a 16" barrel, the barrel stays out of the dirt and the sling is a version of a VTAC sling.

If I was in open country, I would opt for an R15, adjusting stock, tube handguard, 18" barrel and 3-9x40mm Leupold AR optic.
JavalinaHunt1_zps1d131fcf.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zr600Ok next question what caliber? I dont reload as of right now. Im thinking 204 what are your thoughts, this gun is for coyotes, foxes, prairie dogs.

I shoot a 204 and love it so yes I would go 204 does the job great..

A one piece AR mount and big magnification glass will add almost 2 lbs to the overall weight, keep that in mind... I would do a light weight set of high rings and a low power scope if low weight is really what your after. If you use a mount and scope over 2-7x your rifle will end up being as heavy as a 22" bolt gun and you have to give up 400+ fps of muzzle velocity with a 16" barrel compared to what the 22" bolt can give you. Carbon fiber FF tube over aluminum will maybe save you an ounce or two. But optics and ring could save almost a pound if properly selected.

B55E10FA-42F0-44BD-AE82-BD72E5988175-4972-00000972ABD79714.jpg

That rifle with the New Frontier poly lower, plastic trigger, pins and all was 6.3 lbs as it sits in the picture. The barrel as an SPR contour.

Back