Speaking of chokes,..What choke for #4 buckshot?

Pack_Wolf

I did do a search for this,..

I have a Remington full choke on my 870 now. It patterns very nicely It is steel shot rated choke, about .66 as I remember.

I have seen some information that you shouldn't run buckshot through a choke. Somebody does it however, according to many threads here.

What is the current theory about #4 buckshot chokes. I want to go to an auto loading shotgun with a hand grip. Most of them are 20-24" barrels however. Suggestions in this area are welcome also. Turkey guns are about 23-24 inches. I looked at a Stoger 2000 today and am firming up the thought of a hand grip.

Thinking about chokes,. I do want the reduced recoil, so am I going to increase recoil using a tight choke and buckshot?

I can't pattern a shotgun I haven't bought yet, so please give me your best thoughts on tight vs modified for #4 buck and #2 shot. I'm thinking Coyotes.

Can you use a choke on Buckshot? I did shoot one round to see the pattern and it kicked hard. No apparent damage.

If this is a dead horse,..pass it by please.

Yes you can. Right now I'm using xfull with no4 buck. If you read the remington box they say best pattern is with full choke. If you're not into scopes or red dots on shotguns then you might want adjustable sights. I tried all three 870 barrels I have and they all shot very high with the buck. There are some shells that have flight control wads that recommend best patterns with modified choke. So it's really up to you and the shells you use.

Hunting coyotes and hunting turkeys are not the same.

For hunting coyotes I would much rather have a waterfowl hunting shotgun than a pistol gripped turkey shotgun. Turkey shotguns are for shooting at a standing turkey in the head.

Most of the coyotes I shoot with a shotgun are running and when they are running fast you need to lead them just like you need to lead a fast flying bird.

If you are used to using a regular shotgun for shooting birds the only thing sights and a pistol grip will do for you is slow you down. If you can hit fast flying birds or targets with a shotgun why would you need a special shotgun for coyotes?

Your steel rated full choke should be about a modified choke for lead. You can shoot lead number 4 buckshot through a Full or Modified chokes that are rated for lead. The choke restriction won't make any difference on recoil. But heavy buckshot loads will kick no matter what you shoot them through. I would give your Rem 870 a try on coyotes and spend my money on the good coyote loads.

Back in the day the tighter the choke one used with buckshot the better.

That being said with todays technology and different types of delivery the less restrictive chokes seem to be more popular. Most of the companies that make buckshot list the best choke to use on the box.

I am now using Hornady Coyote Magnum and on the box they recommend IC or Modified choke for best results.

I also agree with derbyacresbob that the Waterfowl type shotgun will serve you better than a turkey style shotgun. Turkeys usually present a standing shot and a coyote is usually moving mach five when killed with a shotgun.

+1 to Derby and Yote about the pistol grip. A upland/waterfowl shotgun when mounted properly will shoot where your looking-no need for sights/pistol grip c**p-will just slow you down. As far as choke you will need to pattern the gun with different loads. In general I would go with the tightest choke possible for coyotes.

Thank you for the replies.

I do feel that you are giving me good direction about the straight stock rather than the pistol grip.

Shooting anything running at high speeds will be a challenge with any thing.
I have my right shoulder replaced, (2 yrs)and it still shows lots of nerve damage.(Sore most positions) My left shoulder has no rotator cuff muscle and I can't raise my left arm above my chest.
The 870 works for me because I put a Knox pistol grip, recoil reducer. I am just able to rest the shotgun in my lap and pick it up for one quick shot and that's it. I can't reach the slide and often the left hand supporting the shotgun in front of the recoils into the slide release button and opens it. Then I have to fight the slide. A semi-auto would help.
The pistol grip allows me more control after all, as it helps get it up quickly as the left arm has some help but not much,.. more like stabilizing the front end.
Sorry to whine, but if you don't know,..looks like I'm just a old newbie. I couldn't stand that.
I haven't used any bacon yet but I have built three decoys that coyotes have jumped on before I got back to my seating area. Just 30 or so yards. It pains me to lose the SumBitghes!
Thank you for your replies.

71 and still trying.

Pack

I'm using a Carlson Dead Coyote tube in my Stoeger 2000. Tube is deadly on turkeys, and throws a pretty good pattern with #4 buckshot and #2 plated shot. I have to put sights on the gun, because it shoots a little low with just the bead. I'm shooting Longbeard #6 turkey loads, 3", and the recoil is BRUTAL.

I have patterned a lot of shotguns over the years using BB and #4 Buckshot.

Without exception, the best patterns BEGIN with a Full choke, and get better as you to to EXtra Full.

Best #4 Buckshot patterns I have shot(Rem3", Win3", and Fed 3") has been with a Carlson's Turkey choke in my 11/87. #4 buck will pattern 100% in a 20" circle at 40 yards. 00 and 000 buck pattern into 15" patterns. If you shoot at a paper plate at 40 yards with the #4 buck, it is shot to shreds!

The Browning BPS Modified 28" was the best modified patterns that I ever fired and they are more in the area of a std Full choke, which is about 90% in a 30" circle at 40 yards. Browning fixed chokes seem to run on the tight side.

ALL other Modified choke patterns sucked unless you are shooting 30 yds or less.

For years I hunted with a 30" Remington 870 3" mag or a 1100 of the same, both had fixed full chokes. Both guns patterned ABOUT 90% in a 30" pattern at 40 yards, which is darn good. My modified and imp cyl barrels were pathetic in patterns with buckshot. Made me think that the guys that claimed fantastic patterns with imp cyl and modified were shooting at 25-30 yds.

When you start patterning your shotguns at 40 yards, it will separate the REAL good, from the REAL bad. Even great patterns at 40 yards will be on the verge of falling apart at 50 yards, but you can get lucky. I have killed them at 70 yards, but consider that darn lucky.

Last edited:
The hunt for a good pattern with 4 buck… Unless you get real lucky it’s going to take some work. I shoot Remington 870’s and 1187’s and every barrel length and shotgun likes something different. My best patterns with 4 buck have come from constriction of .670” thru .685” depending on the barrel and length. Probably the most consistently “decent” patterns barrel to barrel came from a Comp N Choke XX-Full which if memory serves is a .680” constriction. I would need to measure it to be 100% sure as it’s been awhile. Longer barrels (26” & 28”) produced the best patterns for me.

That said my go to coyote shotgun is an 1187 with a 21” turkey barrel and a .670” Pure Gold choke shooting Winchester Varmint-X BB loads.

I have found with my guns the shorter barrels had more consistent patterns using 2-3/4” 27 pellet loads than 3” 41 pellet loads. The longer barrels tolerated the 3” more consistently.

There is absolutely no easy path to success or magic combination that works everywhere. Only testing will tell you what works. Good luck to you.

Been happening quite a bit lately. :LOL:
Yep… I saw a new post pop up and thought I could offer some insight. Turns out a “New Member” just hopped into an older thread. Sometimes I just can’t control myself! Lol.

Eh? Someone may stumble onto my ramblings and find it useful? Maybe in 2034 or so?! 🤣

Back