MB 550 Pan Tension

hogwhacker

I recently had some 'yotes and a fox step all over 4 of the 6 550's I had out. None of them fired. I sprung them and re-bedded, just to make sure they were good to go. Then, this past weekend I pulled them due to a foot of snow. After digging them out, I sprung them with a shovel handle I use for "head bonkin'". I literally had to punch the pans to get them to spring. And they were bedded with dry dirt and peat moss.

They are just TOO dang hard to spring!!! The pan tension is just TOO dang hard.

You guys that have messed with them, is there anything other than bending the dog, that you have done to lighten up the pan tension?

I may touch up the night latched dog a tad with a file, along with bending the dog. But they definitely need some work in the shop.

Any other secrets, guys?

I have over a 100 of them. I love em! All mine are 2 coil and I don't do anything to them besides cut the 4 coil spring pins and add a center swivel... Never bent a dog to change tension. Not sure what is causing your problem may need to file the night latch on the dog like you said.

The new ones are at 4lbs of tension. They do recommend bending the dog, but all I do is clean them up good, dye and wax. I am only using them for coyotes.

I gotta admit, it's a [beeep] of a trap. Love everything about them. Except the pan/trigger[tension].

Just disappointing when the trap bed on scent post, flat, and dirthole sets are all tromped up, and no tripped trap. And the dirt holes were worked good with the grass clump and bait pulled out.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm gonna bend the dogs, and lightly file the night latch groove in the dogs and "tune" them up a bit.

After spending 3 hours on 6 traps, I have found that there are 3 adjustments to the dog, on top of bending the dog, to lighten pan tension.

I had 3 traps of the 6 tested that were above 4-3/4#.

There are 3 different angles and places to file the "night latch" notch to change pan height, pan tension, and pan travel before firing. I have changed the 6 tested traps from 3-1/2 to 5# tension, to an average of 2-2-1/4# tension with minimal pan travel before firing. And all low pans are adjusted to sit even with the jaws, or barely below the jaws.

Really, I only slightly bent 2 of the dogs to accomplish proper pan tension. the rest were accomplished by judicious use of a file on the dogs. Now they are ready to roll.

Originally Posted By: sparkyksOriginally Posted By: NYCOYOTEHOUNDSShould post pics and step by step hog.
What he said

I'll try to get some good pics this week, with a file in position at the different positions. Then download them, and post them. It'll take a couple days, but will be an excellent tutorial.

I use 650s and set pan tension to just hold pan level when trap is not set. You should be able to get away with more tension at post and flat sets. I bag my traps and use dry dirt and calcium chloride in the winter.

Back