newb questions for AR calling rifle

T BONE

I've always been a bolt action and shotgun guy, but have seen the advantages of AR's multiple times.....

I'm kicking tires on a used AR and have a couple questions.

1- It doesn't have the dust guard or forward assist. Is that a deal killer for a calling rifle?

2- It's a Kaiser Defense lower. I've researched them, and they seem reputable. But there is not a name, stamp, or mark on the upper or 20" stainless barrel. Where are they usually marked?

3- $600 seem reasonable or maybe a great deal for the rifle, right? It is KD lower, non-adjustable solid buttstock, 20" heavy contour stainless barrel, Aluminum tube free float hand guard, Flash hider.

Thanks.

Last edited:
None of what you mentioned would be a deal killer/maker for me...barrel mark locations vary per maker,, from near the gas block,underside of barrel.

For me 4 things i look at when pricing,,barrel make,trigger,hand guard and lower.this is where most of the money fluctuates...barrels 69/100s triggers 25/100s and so on.

600 currently is around whet the " average" stock build will sell for....also can be built for a hair over 400.

Hope this helps!

X

About the same amount of money will get you a new M&P sport. I have the 15T and love it. A couple of friends have the sports and seem to be happy with them.

IMO that isn't an ideal setup for a calling AR. I would be looking for somefhing 18" or even less and an adjustable stock. You could bbuild what you want.....accurate too for that price.

20", IIRC, is the ideal length for velocity for an AR.

You can get a complete New Frontier polymer lower for $109.99 and a complete upper (albeit 16") 1 in 7" twist from Palmetto State for $289 (with BCG and CH) from time to time. $399 for a new AR is pretty sweet. You may even find a 20" SS bbl for about $150 and finance that with the sale of the existing bbl. Still under $600 for a new AR. Pmags can be gotten for about $8-$10 online.

If you wanted an aluminum lower, you can find complete (LPK & collapsible stock) for $160.

Also check JoeBob's. Definitely have great prices and great inventory.

Personally for me I wouldn't want a 20 inch heavy contour barrel. It's just not something I would want to lug around. I prefer my rifle to be lighter and don't have any trouble with a 16 or 18 inch lighter contour barrel. Everyone has there own preference. Just pick what suits you.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to investigate the make and specs of the upper and barrel more. They have to be marked somewhere.

I prefer the 20" barrel for the weight forward balance and the noise. Weight is not a worry, I'm not bivy hunting.

Just to give you a reference, I have a 15 T with 16 inch 1 in 8 barrel and can bust. 6 inch balloons at 350 yrds

The forward assist is a necessary device for me. I've had to use mine more than a few times in the past.

Now the dust cover I could do without. I have a dust cover on my AR15 Ambush Firearms but most of the time it's open anyway.

While at the shooting range I've had my bolt carrier group fail to fully seat the bullet. I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. So I checked to see if there was a bullet in the chamber and hit the forward assist button a few times and then the gun would work properly. If the BCG is not seated properly the firing pin can't hit the primer in the shell and make it go BOOM. No boom and not ejecting of the old shell and loading a new shell.

If you are out hunting and this happens you will have to hit the Forward Assist Button a few times to set the BCG and get a shot off. Without this device you will have to manually eject the shell and hope that the next one seats properly. That's going to make a lot of noise and will scare off the things you are hunting. It will at least make enough noise to alert any prey to your presence and that's not good when hunting.

Maybe if I lube up my BCG more with CLR it won't stick so much. I just got my AR15 last November and have used it more at the rifle range than out in the field. I probably have not put more than 300 rounds thought it yet. I've put more rounds though my 9 mm pistol than my AR15 and I only got the Pistol last July. But I enjoy shooting the pistol more than the AR15. The AR15 is too easy and not as much of a challenge to me as the PPQ M2 from Walters.

I went with an 18" long barrel as that is what they came with. But it's a compromise between a longer and or shorter barrel. It's long enough for good accuracy and light enough to carry out in the field.

The 16" barrel might be better for field hunting as it's shorter and easier to swing around onto the target in the woods.

The longer 20" barrel might shoot tighter groups at the rifle range off the bench.

So the 18" barrel with 1:7 twist was my choice as that's what the Ambush Firearms AR15 comes with. I just let the people at Ambush Firearms build the perfect rifle for me.

Originally Posted By: T BONEI've always been a bolt action and shotgun guy, but have seen the advantages of AR's multiple times...

Just my opinion......

If you are going to try an AR why not go ahead and invest in a quality rifle to give the platform a viable comparison. Do you buy your shotguns and rifles based on price alone?

If you do invest in quality you will most likely be able to sell it and recover most of your investment if you don't like it.

My suggestion for a first purchase:

Rock River ATH Carbine with the flash hider in case you want to put a can on later.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=526

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: T BONEI find it odd that I can't find a single mark, name, or stamp on the upper or barrel. I'd like to know the twist as well.

most barrels have at least the twist rate stamped on them. not all though. the maker of the barrel on you rifle must not be very proud of it. most upper receivers have a forging symbol and not marked other than that. you can get the twist by using a tight fitting patch pushed through the barrel. mark you rod and when rod makes one complete turn count how many inches it traveled..

Great question. No this rifle doesn't attract me based on price alone. The attraction is that it's setup like I like it. To get a flattop with a 20-22" barrel, which I prefer, rifles are usually a minimum of $850ish. That's the attraction. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Originally Posted By: Gman757Do you buy your shotguns and rifles based on price alone?

If you do invest in quality you will most likely be able to sell it and recover most of your investment if you don't like it.

Have you shot it?

Price doesn't sound bad, depending on just what is in it. big question for me would be "How accurate is it?"

I'd want to shoot a few groups from a bench to see what it can do. If it shoots well enough to suit me, home it goes.

For me a dust, ( read SNOW cover) is a must. But that's just me. IMO get it and try it. One thing about an AR, everything on them is replaceable.

From what you've mentioned I would go for it. Dust covers are nice but not necessary, forward assists are nearly useless unless you plan on going into combat with your coyote gun!

I have a 16" & 20" and they are both accurate but I do like the extra 175 or so FPS from the 20" since im used to using a 243 shooting 55's @ 3800+ I want all the speed I can get to knock em down and keep them there, the 20" will usually push my 55 gr handloads around 3075fps so its giving up a LOT to the 243 but so far I haven't had one run away (I have had to shoot 2 out of 6 of them twice though!) plus its got the longer forearm that nice for hunting off a tripod or bipod.

Originally Posted By: ghilliedupFrom what you've mentioned I would go for it. Dust covers are nice but not necessary, forward assists are nearly useless unless you plan on going into combat .

I don't agree on the forward assist it can be very helpful to load your gun quitter than slamming the bolt closed to lock the bolt so I guess that may be a combat situation ...... LOL

Back