New varmint cartridge for P-dog trip

I'm shooting 50 VMAX at 3750 out of a 24" 22X6.8. It is an eight twist but stacks the 50 all day long. It will also give you the optins of some of the heavier 223's. Powder charges are considerably less than the 22-250 so barrel life should be quite long.

Greg

6x6.8. With 58 vmax. Then you can hunt yotes and deer with other bullet choices. Probably the best AR15 cartridge out there right now. This will give you long range options out to 700 easily. In an ar15 size weapon. It doesn't get any better. And BHW makes the best barrels chambered in this caliber. For an AR rifle this is the way to go. Yes over the grendel.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30

After consulting with a gunsmith prior to a custom 22-250 build I went with the standard twist rate of 1/14". We talked extensively about it. One of the 1st things he asked is the bullets I planned to shoot, and what use for the gun. I can't see going over 55 grains, most being 50 and some 52. Plus the added speed of a 22-250 may factor in with some bullets.

This is why my AR-15 varminter, my .223 AI, my 22/250 as well as my Krieger barreled .220 Swift all have 1/14" twist. I never shoot anything heavier than 55 grain bullets in the Swift and never anything heavier than 50 grain in the others. The 1/14" twist is perfect for that weight as well as the 40 grain bullets which I also shoot, but not as often as I do the 50's.

Something that is not often mentioned is that when you go to a tighter twist pressures go up as well. How much so I don't know. Now having said that were I to ever need to rebarrel any of the above mentioned guns I think that I would go to a 1/12" twist next time just so that I can use up to a 60 grain Vmax should I want to. Wouldn't mind trying some anyway.

I think im leaning towards the 53gr V-Max, i like the higher BC. I dont think it would harm anything if the barrel is a 1:12 since that 53 is a little on the long side. Id like to be able to reach out on the lomg shots if they are needed.
Im not real interested in the wildcats cartridges. I always seem to have enough on my plate to handle with the standards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Skinnypete736x6.8. With 58 vmax. Then you can hunt yotes and deer with other bullet choices. Probably the best AR15 cartridge out there right now. This will give you long range options out to 700 easily. In an ar15 size weapon. It doesn't get any better. And BHW makes the best barrels chambered in this caliber. For an AR rifle this is the way to go. Yes over the grendel.

I agree with that. Having helped develop it I am kind of partial though.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHWhat sort of max range am i looking at/expecting to kill pdogs with a 50gr SP in a .223 at 3300 fps at the muzzle?

How much wind? And how good can you dope it? How accurate will the rifle be? At distance? How accurate will the ranging be? What will be an acceptable hit ratio?

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHWhat sort of max range am i looking at/expecting to kill pdogs with a 50gr SP in a .223 at 3300 fps at the muzzle?

How much wind? And how good can you dope it? How accurate will the rifle be? At distance? How accurate will the ranging be? What will be an acceptable hit ratio?

- DAA

Hahaha, cant say. This is my first pdog rodeo.

If you can shoot 300 is a chip shot. 400 will make you work and if the stars are aligned 500 with a 223. Many dogs have been killed further. I look upon it as a 400 yard stick. As mentioned wind is your enemy.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterIf you can shoot 300 is a chip shot. 400 will make you work and if the stars are aligned 500 with a 223. Many dogs have been killed further. I look upon it as a 400 yard stick. As mentioned wind is your enemy.

Greg

Thank you, thats what i was looking for. I understand wind is my worst enemy.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterIf you can shoot 300 is a chip shot. 400 will make you work and if the stars are aligned 500 with a 223. Many dogs have been killed further. I look upon it as a 400 yard stick. As mentioned wind is your enemy.

Greg

Wow. You nailed it. Yes, 300 yards is really not bad. But 400 yards is exponentially twice as hard as 300 is and 500 exponentially twice as hard as 400. My opinion of course. Of the couple thousand of prairie dogs I have shot I have killed maybe ten at 500-600 yards. Exactly four at more than 600 yards and only one at more than 700. For sure the numbers would have been higher had the wind never been a factor. But days when the wind does not to blow in Wyoming is like days when Hillary Clinton does not tell a lie. Just don't happen that often.

204, personally I think it is much more fun to shoot than 22-250 unless you really weight down the 250. We took the 223s and 250s the last time and regret not taking the 204. Next trip will be 204s and 223s with something bigger for some extra long range. Don't get me wrong cause I like the 22-250 and it was what I used for my first PD kills over 500yds.

I started looking around for bulk brass for both 22-250 and 204, hahahha what a joke! Every place i went to was sold out and half said no backorder.

Originally Posted By: SShooterZ20 VarTarg
Best little 20 cal round for the colony rats.
Accurate, fast and explosive.
Doesn't burn too much powder either.

^^^ This!

My current .22-250 is a Rem 700 SPSV that I put in a Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole stock and installed a Timney trigger. Still wearing the factory 26" 1-14" barrel. I also have a Ruger M77 that I had rebarreled last winter to a .22-250AI. 24" 1-14" twist in a Boyd's Classic stock. This one is my "go to" coyote gun right now.

Originally Posted By: VarmintnvMy current .22-250 is a Rem 700 SPSV that I put in a Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole stock and installed a Timney trigger. Still wearing the factory 26" 1-14" barrel. I also have a Ruger M77 that I had rebarreled last winter to a .22-250AI. 24" 1-14" twist in a Boyd's Classic stock. This one is my "go to" coyote gun right now.

What bullet are you pushing in the Remy 1:14 twist barrel?

In the Remmy I have been shooting 50gr Sierra Blitz Kings. But it seems to like 50gr NBT's and Vmax just as well. In my coyote gun, I'm shooting 52gr Speer HP's. Since my coyotes are usually shot while calling, and I seldom need to shot beyond 300yds, the 52gr Speer works great for me. I won't use BK's or Vmax on coyotes, too easy to make a real mess out of a hide with them. But I have had good luck with the NBT's on coyotes. My .22-250AI just doesn't seem to like them much.

You can never take to many rifles on a p-dog shoot.
Same caliber makes it easy to figure ammo, but having a close and further out rifle wouldn't hurt.
To bad no one is really putting the 5.7x28 cartridge into a rifle....it would be reloadable, fun and cheap.

Originally Posted By: Bigdog2
To bad no one is really putting the 5.7x28 cartridge into a rifle....it would be reloadable, fun and cheap.

Agreed! I have a PS-90 and think that all the time!

Its just not accurate enough in its current configuration to make it a viable p-dog rifle. But I do know that you can buy TC barrels if you would like one in a single shot...

I'd love to wildcat this cartridge and neck it down to a .20 or .17 if I could get my hands on a bolt action. Too bad Savage didn't keep with it.

PS- great bunny busting rifle though!

Last edited:
Back