Coyote trails

Snowshoes

The temperatures dropped and we received a light blanket of snow overnight which I welcomed. My destination was to an area with a poultry farm to the north and hopefully coyotes coming across the field to their bedding area. Never seen any coyotes on the walk in and it took almost a half hour before I see any sign of activity. The sun was now sending its first rays of light across the landscape and this must of been the cue for the coyotes to start their trek to the bedding areas.
First a pair start coming but are angling too far away from me, so a few squeaks with the little squeaker gets their attention. This pair is 200 yards away and I know its calm out but even so, a coyotes sense of hearing just amazes me! I let the lead coyote get to a hundred yards and drop it where it stood. The shot kicks 2 or three other coyotes scattering from the reeds in a nearby slough but they are distancing themselves from me.

Ten minutes pass and I catch movement to my right but see its a small whitetail buck cutting across the field. I watch it for a minute or so before seeing a single coming across the field towards me. This one makes life easy as it heads straight towards me and a bark from me stops it at 65 yards. Shot number two has a second one down.

Another 5 minutes pass before spotting one more heading across the field but it too is angling away. Its using the lay of the land to its advantage and I only get glimpses of it. I can see this is a scruffy coyote but it looks to be the last one of the morning. I use the squeaker again and after a few seconds the coyote picks up the sound. Its sets its heading for the source of the sound (which happens to have a 223. lined up and ready). This coyote crests a small rise and stops to look at the second coyote shot, which is laying a mere 20 feet in front of it. Shot number three has the third one down.

Two got loaded into the truck and one tossed into the bush.
The three together.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogWell done. Looks like we got a little nore snow than you did. Was the one coyote mangy?
Yes the last coyote shot had early stages of mange.
I heard there was more snow to the north and east of us yesterday. Last year at this time I think I was using my snowshoes to get around. The ole legs don't mind the lack of snow this year
smile.gif

Thank you Pockeyjeeper

Last edited:
Nice job.

Our snow all melted here in Sask the other day, but we just got a cm or two lastnight. All of my camo is pretty much white, so with no snow I would look alittle funny. lol It is alot better then last year though, thats for sure.

Keep up the good work, sounds like your not really working hard for em anyways. :p

Thank you for the comments,
I've been at a conventions (work related) for the past few days and just got home. Snowing heavy right now with a fair wind blowing which will make tomorrow morning interesting.. I do have a spot in mind that may hold a coyote,,,, time will tell
smile.gif

Thank you for the above comments
thumbup1.gif

It may be awhile before I get out again.... Shovelling snow this morning before I was to head out for a coyote hunt and threw my back out. Made a trip to the Chiropractor on bad roads later in the morning but still not in shape for any amount of walking.... This is no time to have a screwed up back
frown.gif

I got a snow blower. It saves the back and in the long run is cheaper than a chiropractor.
Sorry to hear bout that. I'm far too familiar with my back being screwed up to the point I can't walk.
Give it time to heal!

Originally Posted By: gumboot458 I got a snow blower. It saves the back and in the long run is cheaper than a chiropractor.
Sorry to hear bout that. I'm far too familiar with my back being screwed up to the point I can't walk.
Give it time to heal!
Good advice, Yes I will definitely give it time to heal
smile.gif

The worst part is I do have a snowblower but figured I would just shovel the portion of cement pad behind the garage door where the truck was parked. Seemed a little early to wake the neighbours but in hindsight.......
smile.gif

Snowhoes, thanks for taking the time to post such well documented hunts. I've been to Alberta (around Claresholm) for a couple of coyote hunts. I've had nothing but the best times ever up there. The country is unreal and the people are just plain good folk. I never really got in 'em and had one of those crazy stack 'em up days. Always killed several, and spotted dozens each day. I could never get up there before January so I suppose there was some impact from other hunting. Spent 4 days there on my first hunt with temps never getting above -12 F. Two of those days we hunted in -30 F. That was something else with 12-14 inches of snow. Memories are made up there man, and I will go back for a third trip.

Here's one of my better coyotes and longest shots. Nice big male shot from 349 Leica-ranged yards with my Ruger swift, 52 Gr Amax over 38.5 grns of IMR4064.

Again, thanks for the informative posts and I hope your back is better by now.

JB in NC

Last edited:
Thats a nice looking coyote you have there Bluesman! The area around Claresholm is nice looking country with the mountains to the west. ( 4 hour drive from here though)
I appreciate all the comments that everyone has made and I hope to get back out soon..... but it's going to be a day or two yet
frown.gif

Back