What about Bear and Sons?

hunt-m-up

They can't compete with some of the beautiful custom knives displayed here, but just curious what everyone had to say about them. If they are truly US made that's a good start and puts them in limited company for production knives. I picked up a couple trappers at a local hardware store recently.

I got one that I love. Unfortunately when I got it home from the hardware store I realized it was a limited run. So in the safe it sits. Been thinking about getting another one.

My understanding is that,, like many company's these days,, their quality has slipped over time and the Moore Maker Trapper (made for MM by B&S) that I had confirms that.
Fit and finish was average but acceptable but it had the weakest back spring I've ever seen on a knife, and that includes some that are near 100 years old. It was actually too dangerous to use for fear of it closing up unexpectedly. It set in my cigar box until I finally gave it to a friend who said he would send it to MM but I'm not sure he ever did.
That was only one example but it was enough to sour me on the brand.

Thanks for the input, you're right about the spring not being the strongest although not quite as weak as you indicated, nothing to write home about and I would question it for daily carry. I guess I've become conditioned to liner locks over the years, but the majority of them have better snap too. These appear to be 2008 production, fit and finish good with no noticeable slop, proud pins, or rough edges. But then I carry a folding razor knife every day for cutting housewrap and underlayment so what do I know. I had one of them with a faulty lock bite me too. Thanks again

I have had a couple or 4 of them. 1 Was a MM. I only have 1 left IIRC. It is a stag trapper of average quality all the way around, with some decent stag for it's price point.....

I will add that while I do not know much about Bear & Sons, I'm puzzled as to how they are still in business when some very much larger/older/more popular knife companies went under.

Maybe they make way more "contract knives" than what I am aware of. Not sure....

My dad got a bear and sons trapper from the company he works for, for twenty years service. We got together over the holiday and I asked to take a look at it. Really wasn't impressed with it and I think I'll take back my earlier comments.
Suppose I shouldn't give out advice on a brand after owning just one of their offerings
unsure.gif

They are not horrible, I guess, but certainly nothing special. They have zero collector value to the best of my knowledge....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThey have zero collector value to the best of my knowledge....

Mmmmm maybe I should start using that limited edition I got in the safe
thumbup.gif

Back