AR abuse, any bets?

mutthunter

Since I didn't find this too funny, I'm hoping some of you guys might.

I went pheasant hunting yesterday with a good buddy who hasn't filled his B tag (does only) yet. Since my tag is punched, and the property we hunted holds a bunch of oinker does, he intended to carry his shotgun with a rifle slug over his back in case a doe presented itself.

Great plan, until he showed up with a 243win rifle and 308 ammo. The only rifle I had in the truck was my calling rifle, a Rock River Coyote Carbine, Luepold Mark AR 3x9, Burris PEPR, Spikes lower, CTS stock. It happens to shoot MSR 62gr Fusions just a touch lower than my coyote loads, so I keep a bunch of both in the case. OK, I lend him the rifle, shots are now more limited, but we're ready to go, still in the fight.

We head out, me with my 12g, and my buddy with his 12g and my AR slung over his back. The morning starts out at -8 and warms up to a balmy -4. The pheasants weren't where they were supposed to be, but we'd been seeing ducks overhead all morning. So it becomes a duck hunt.

We had to cross a frozen pond to get close enough to open water to start quacking. I slipped a little as we stepped onto the ice, my partner grinned (dexterity isn't something I'm known for) He whispers to me how much he loves the old Danner boots he's wearing, then proceeds to slip, (both feet in the air at my nose level, and I'm 6'1") and all 6ft and 230lbs of him land full force on my rifle.

The impact was enough to pop the threads on the Hogue handguard where it screws into the base ( the guard is now 1/8in from the left of the gas block and better than 5/8in from the right side). It's now so cross-threaded that it appears to be there until I destroy it in the removal process. The stock was a touch twisted, but removing and re-installing seems to have fixed that mostly.

The scope/mount seems to be mostly ok and the rifle cycles properly, but hasn't been fired yet. So, before it all get's checked out and fixed, here are the bets; 1- Will the zero be off, and by how much. 2- What else is tweaked on the rifle and how badly?

As a fun side note, he has bruises on his back that fit the contour of the rifle impressively well.

I'll find out tomorrow or Wednesday what all it really needs.

Last edited:
Those things are made to go through war. I have more carless friends than I like to think about some days, but when it comes to quality firearms if something breaks I will blame the gun.

I just put together an upper with Aero Precision's M4E1 enhanced upper. It is supposed to secure the barrel and hangguard much better. It would prevent the problem you just had, but you need to use a free float aluminum handguard.

I will say that id rather bust a material item then any body part.
That said whats it going to cost your pal to fix it under the good ol pal law of "You pay for it if you break it"

Yes your zero will be off. That is, since you inevitably have to replace the handguard and barrel nut. It should be close to where it was before, unless your scope got jacked. Tear it down and check for anything obvious.

Well, numb-nuts got off light. I stripped the rifle, checked all function/safety issues, and tried it (as in, fired the first round with a big spruce between me and the rifle). Turns out everything is pretty much fine, other than my hand guard. My zero was knocked left 2" and down by 3/4". I re-doped my scope and shot the best 5 round group the rifle has ever shot. A nickel can hide all 5, and that's with the hand guard still super cockeyed! I'd just leave it that way, but it drives nuts just looking at it (plus my buddy already ordered a new one for me). I've been trying to get some pics loaded so I can show y'all how tweaked it is, but between my phone, computer, and total lack of ability on my part, I've been striking out.

Now, the only issue is- how in the [beeep] am I going to get the Hogue off my rifle when it's all bent up and cross threaded. My vise block only holds the upper by the takedown holes, and I'm pretty sure it's going to take more force than the upper can withstand. Looks like a new pic-rail vise block is in my near future... I guess.

PS- The bruises on my buddies back are even more awesome now, the colors really are impressive!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mutthunter

Now, the only issue is- how in the [beeep] am I going to get the Hogue off my rifle when it's all bent up and cross threaded.

Know anyone who owns a body shop? Air snippers might help.

Post some pics of the bruises. Find someone with some more knowledge of ARs to help you out with getting it off the barrel nut. Sorry about your luck, but it sounds like a good laugh when it happened.

Sounds like he has the vice block but you may be talking about something else. The pic-rail vise sounds like a good idea. If it's the same as the only other pic-rail vise I've seen.

Is your handgaurd a free float tube that you slip over the barrel and twist to the right until tight or one that goes on with set screws? I have limited knowledge on tubes as both my uppers have the same tube style.

I'd say you're lucky that the scope didn't bust or a lense didn't get out of alignment. I'm surprised it was only off the little bit it was. Goes to show the quality of the scope.

I know how you feel about buddies breaking your hunting gear. I had a buddy slam the door on the last 3" of the limb tip of my custom acs longbow and break it. Now that was a heartbreaker as I had just waited 16 months to have it shipped. Not that your mishap isn't a heartbreaker.

Good to hear that it's going to be fine.. I have had a few take nasty spills and work just like they came out of the box.

Accidents happen, but i swear I run into this kind of thing all the time, and it's just getting to the point where i just hate to lend anything out.
I know friends don't intentionally do things.. But, i have come to learn that if they don't have it, then there is a reason, and I don't want mine to have issues. I have almost stopped lending out even the smallest things. It's just not worth the headache.

Sorry to hear about your rifle, hope you get it fixed.. I think your best bet would be a reaction rod by geissele, it goes into the upper in place of the carrier and secures the rifle by the barrel extension. It creates less stress on the actual upper when removing a said handguard or barrel or muzzle device.. I think that poor rifle has been through enough stress as of late. Lol

Originally Posted By: mutthunterWell, numb-nuts got off light. I stripped the rifle, checked all function/safety issues, and tried it (as in, fired the first round with a big spruce between me and the rifle). Turns out everything is pretty much fine, other than my hand guard. My zero was knocked left 2" and down by 3/4". I re-doped my scope and shot the best 5 round group the rifle has ever shot. A nickel can hide all 5, and that's with the hand guard still super cockeyed! I'd just leave it that way, but it drives nuts just looking at it (plus my buddy already ordered a new one for me). I've been trying to get some pics loaded so I can show y'all how tweaked it is, but between my phone, computer, and total lack of ability on my part, I've been striking out.

Now, the only issue is- how in the [beeep] am I going to get the Hogue off my rifle when it's all bent up and cross threaded. My vise block only holds the upper by the takedown holes, and I'm pretty sure it's going to take more force than the upper can withstand. Looks like a new pic-rail vise block is in my near future... I guess.

PS- The bruises on my buddies back are even more awesome now, the colors really are impressive!
When you pull the gas tube get on the tube with a pipe wrench if it comes off good if it doesn't the barrel nut and tube will both come off together. Its a win either way. If you need the use of a clam shell receiver clamp let me know I can send you mine.

Back