243 wssm deer bullet

Delta yote

I am using 95 gr ballistic silver tips. They pack a punch but no blood trail. I have IMR 4350 powder that I am using. I will be loading for a dtech 243 wssm 22 " barrel with 1/10 twist. Recommendations would be appreciated

Sometimes I like a bullet that dumps all or most all its energy into the beast. And that's where the ballistic tips are probably my favorite. Or if they make a sst in that weight you like. Barnes tsx will poke in and out and drive through bone really well. But some guys say they don't dump energy on thinner game. I'm not sure if that's scientific though. With a good shot and proper energy dump a blood trail is just icing on the cake. Have you lost animals recently?

A friend traded for one when they first came out and I helped him load for it. We had really good accuracy with both H4831sc and H4350 under 95 grain Nosler BTs, 100 Rem CoreLocks, and 100 grain Hornady flat base ILs.

Picked up a bunch of 100 gr. nos. solid base softpoint seconds before the fire. Cannot find the link but believe the NBT hunting bullets have the same solid base as the NSBSP which was an overrun and not normal production bullet. Any rate, that bullet performs well on deer as well.

My long time 6mm favorite for deer, however is Nosler's 100 gr. partition. Accuracy might not be quite as good as their BT line, but right around moa & plenty good for a hunting bullet and golden in performance on deer. Willing to sacrifice a wee bit of accuracy for terminal performance of the NP's.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-pr...-blem-50ct.html

ETA: I use one of Mike's 243 WSSM's for ADC and culling deer in early deer season, so chose the 100 gr. NSBSP's which worked well on both. Your 4350 should work well w/100 gr. bullets in the WSSM, but I can't be specific on loads as I had a couple of 8# jugs of H450 (obsolete ball powder) that I needed to find a use for and w/Mike's help worked up a load with that powder. H450 burn rate is slower than H4350 and I wound up w/a slightly compressed load that produced an average MV of 3006 fps. 4350 is probably a better choice in the 243 WSSM.

Powder Burn Rate Chart

I must be doing something wrong, because I have never been able to get the X or XXX bullets to shoot in any of my rifles. Finally gave up on them after trying in three different calibers/rifles.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
I shoot the 90 Grain NBT and all mine pass through. The last one shot at 460 yards had pinky sized hole on both sides.
Not sure why you need a blood trail. They never go more than 20 yards.
If shooting closer than 100 yards I shoot them in the neck and they don't go anywhere but down.

I run the 95g nosler HBT in my .243 & 6x45 on antelope, it dumps them on the spot and makes a nice exit depending on angle at penetration. Shoulder or behind the shoulder shots are a pass through w/major internal damage & all have never made it another 30 yards.

Thanks guys. Haven't lossed an animal yet. This was the inaugural hunt and my daughter shot her first deer with it this passed Saturday . She killed a 130 lb spike at 100 yds. High shoulder shot DRT. No exit wound inside was jello.

I use my D-Tech .243 wssm for antelope and use the 85 gr. partitions. Pass throughs with good terminal performance out to 387 yards on antelope. I've only shot 5 antelope with them so far, but I've not recovered a bullet yet, and killed 'em dead.

In the last 2 years we have shot 4 deer with .243's using 95 gr SST's none have made it over 50 yards. All bullets have exited and left heavy blood trails though most were not needed. Our deer are shot at 50 yards or less (hunting in brushy woods) so not sure about longer range shots. The SST's have really worked very well for me in a few different calibers.

Originally Posted By: Delta yoteI am using 95 gr ballistic silver tips. They pack a punch but no blood trail. I have IMR 4350 powder that I am using. I will be loading for a dtech 243 wssm 22 " barrel with 1/10 twist. Recommendations would be appreciated

87G Hornady Vmax for varmints higher BC of .400 and more velocity gets you a much more efficient bullet.

105 Amax if your gun will stabilize them .510? BC off the top of my head

100g Sierra SBT .430 BC will be best if you are worried about hitting bone.

I fell off the TTSX wagon because full copper just cant match the BCs of lead, why shoot a WSSM cartidge if you are going to shoot bullets with low BCs? Get all the performance out of it you can if you are going to burn barrels.

Back