FLIR RS Thermal Images

UNV

If anyone is curios about the new FLIR RS series, here are are some grid images captured to show the capabilities of the RS32 1X and the RS32 4X. If anyone else has images post them here to help others see what the RS can do.

rs321xgrid.jpg

FLIR ThermoSight RS32 1.25X

rs324xgrid.jpg

FLIR ThermoSight RS32 4X

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisUNV,

Is it me or is the THOR (Different post) picture just a tad clearer?

Does the Thor have a different/better lens or are they equal?

Good question. To be fair, most of the ATN ThOR images came from 640 resolution systems and the above FLIR RS images are 320 resolution systems.

I have not put the ATN ThOR 640 and the FLIR RS64 side by side yet, but plan to do so. So far, I have not seen anything that compares to the ATN ThOR 640 5X but that system has a 100mm lens and the largest lens on a FLIR RS is 60mm so it's not apples to apples. I'll keep posting up the images as they become available. The closest comparisons would be between the Thor 640 2.5X and the FLIR RS64 2X. Even then, there is a 10mm difference in lens size and also a difference in screen technology(LCD vs OLED) and size that will affect the overall quality of the images you see through the scope.

UNV,

Can you tell us which Thor scope most compares with the RS64-35mm.

Price, clarity, zoom, recording etc????

Maybe the Thor's are much more expensive??

I am seriously considering the Flir RS64-35mm.

Thanks for all of your help and illustrations.

Can you tell us which Thor scope most compares with the RS64-35mm.

Price, clarity, zoom, recording etc????

Maybe the Thor's are much more expensive??

I am seriously considering the Flir RS64-35mm.

Thanks for all of your help and illustrations.

The unit that compares closest specification-wise with the RS64 1.1X is the ATN ThOR 640 1.5X. That unit has a 30mm lens a 21 deg FOV. The unit that compares most closely image-wise is the ATN ThOR 640 1.1X. That unit has a 19mm lens and an 18 deg FOV.

The RS and ThOR units are priced pretty similarly. Maybe $2-500 more for a comparable ThOR unit. Some units you can get for right around the same price.

I haven't spent a ton of time with any of the RS64s yet so I can't speak to the clarity. I did notice on the 32s that the image on a 320 core thor seemed to have a little more contrast, and I think that is most likely due to the OLED display.

There is one more level (8x) of digital zoom on the 640 ThOR units, but at that level the image is degraded and I hardly ever use the 8x e-zoom. The zoom on the RS unit is set up where you can zoom in and zoom out with 2 different buttons. The zoom on the ThOR is set up with 1 button and it toggles 1X,2X,4X,8X,1X,2X,4X,8X etc..

Both units have a video out and recording is done pretty much the same way. The RS is via a USB and the ThOR is via an MCX.

More images coming soon. We will get them done just as soon as we can.

Those are very nice heavy duty cables.

Here is a couple of pics from a FLIR RS64-35mm of a coyote:

Coyote%20200%20Yards%201X.jpg

Coyote%20200%20Yards%202X.jpg

Coyote%20225%20Yards%20Hit.jpg

Here are a couple of some deer:

RS64%2035%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%202X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%204X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

RS64%2035%208X%20Deer%20175%20Yards.jpg

Here is a hog kill @ 175 yards with the FLIR RS64-35mm:

Is it me or is the THOR (Different post) picture just a tad clearer?

Does the Thor have a different/better lens or are they equal?

You have to realize that any picture or video you see on the internet from any thermal camera device is ONLY a representation of the ocular image you see on the LCD or OLED viewer of the instrument itself.

All video/photos are exported through a NTSC 30fps analog to digital convertor according to the video industry compatibility standards through various software drives embedded in the firmware of the thermal cameras. Not to mention you are viewing the exported compressed image on the internet through whatever software drivers you need to produce an image on your computer monitor.

Naive people constantly asking or stating that this photo or that video they saw somewhere on the internet is more clear, more vibrant, more resolution, more glorious, and better than any competitors video or photos is just hogwash.

There is NO photo/video comparison standard for anyone to make any kind of claims whatsoever based on what was posted on the internet.....
crazy.gif

Which unit would be the best for taking coons out of trees? With my Flir 24, I get skyline wash, but I understand I'm using the cheapest thermal and these should be better performers.

What kind of rifle are you using? Are you calling them in? What are you using for positive ID?

That would be the maximum range for a fox/coyote for an RS32 19mm lens system, a RS32 35mm lens system would be better for these smaller targets 150 yards plus would reach out to 250 yards.

Basic answer is yes it is doable but due to the smaller size of the quarry and the smaller lethal target size, the large lens would be better for more accurate shot placement.

I was going to use my new photon to positive Id....... But it seams that the maker of photon has the same business plan as the x sight. They advertise and talk about how great the product is, but where are they? I have been on a wild goose chase trying to purchase either of theses two scopes. Maybe it is for the best. Back to the original post. Thanks for the reply, that is exactly the answer that I was looking for, I will go for the 35.

The RS32-35 will have no problem putting down foxes past 200+ yards.....

Here where I live in Florida it is illegal to kill gray foxes as there are not very many of them, so must be able to differentiate them from coyotes, which is one of the reasons I suggested the 35mm lens system as will give adequate ID and range for what you are planning on doing....with some experience you will be able to use it to ID too.

I would suggest that anyone thinking of buying a thermal scope rent one from Ultimate Night Vision or use a buddy's first. I bought the RS 64 and used it for a month. Happiest day this year is when I sold it and lost 1,000. It probably works great in open fields where you know the fields are open and clean. Issues we had were:

1) it can sense the heat signature through a decent amount of light brush and grass. Stuff your bullet cannot see through. We had multiple incidents of seeing game in Flir scanner and scope but could not identify in scope as the animal was in 3' broom straw. No ID no shoot.

2) you cannot identify. Some people say you can- BS. Nobody is going to tell me they can tell the difference between a farmers cattle dog and a coyote. Since you cannot ID, you have to throw in another step with night vision to ID.

Great example- last week we were hunting, had a pack of coyotes answering us. Only about 100 hundred and 50 yards away, about that time we spotted one just peeking over the hill. We can see it clearly in both the scope and scanners. But not the night vision. Waited and waited and waited and finally the great big plowhorse walked over the hill. It was his head we were seeing. It's head Facing us looked almost exactly like a coyote sitting down watching you. If we had shot We would have spent thousands of dollars for a horse, lost a place to hunt, and made my buddy a really bad neighbor.

3) it is not a precise aiming scope. We shoot out to 400 yards regularly. We hunt mountains. If we give them an opportunity to cut downwind they will bust us every time. That being said, the image and reticle is just not great for distance.
4) grey fox weigh 7-10 lbs- see 3 above.

I scan with a LS64 and love it but for the above reasons the scope will not work in my environment. I think the scope is awesome, for the right application. The right application is not the same all the way across the US.

Most of our stands are over cut fields. My longest shot would be 200 yards on a red fox. Most shots closer to 100 yards. My problem is that I was watching them through the ps32, and then flicking on the red light at the last minute to shoot. The foxes hated that. I was better off just using the red light from the minute we saw them. Using the flir the foxes come to the call with out a single hang up, it truly is amazing. That is why I am swapping the ps32 for the rs32!

Skypup. The rs64 images that you are posting look a million times better than the image that I get through my rs32 35 mm. In your one picture I can see all of the separate trees in the background and even see the bark on the tree. What color mode do you have it on? I have tried all modes, at 100 yards a wood line just looks like a blob to me. Looking at a crp grass field from 50 yards away, same thing just a blob! I have tried adjusting everything with no luck. Do you have any suggestions?

Back