45 Colt vs. coyote?

Bought two new guns today. Both NEF, a 17 HMR Sportster and a 45colt/410 survivor. I was wondering if anyone had shot a coyote with a 45 colt round and how bad would it damage the dog. I just went after the 17 HMR but the survivor caught my eye too. I've already put 20 rounds through this afternoon, fun gun to shoot. Pretty accurate at 100yds with open sights. I havn't tried a 410 shell through it yet.

THe 45 colt cowboy loads wouldn't too do much damage to the hide. They are actually quite mild loadings and the soft lead bullet wouldn't deform that much as long as it didn't hit bone.

45 colt is a great old round. I have a reprodution 1866 Winchester chambered in 45 colt. I reload for it and with 240grn. SWC I get a group of about 4-5in at 75 yrds. I have never used it on a yote but it is plenty capable. As to your question about the damage it could make, It is a pretty hard hitting round, but probably little damage, probably no exit wound, which is good. i would love to down a yote with a 45 colt!

Back