270 coyote rounds - 90gr Speer or Sierra?

Originally Posted By: ackleymanWe have shot thousands of the sierra 90g HP with IMR 3031, the velocity is in the 3500 fps area. This powder has proved to be exceptional with Remington 700's producing very tiny groups that you would think would be more like a benchrest rifle.

Sorry, I can not offer any help with the 90g Speer TNT.

If you are so inclined, the 110g V max(and HP)are very accurate with loads of 58g of Win 760(fed 210) and 57g of R#17(fed 215). Also the 110g Sierra Game king with the same loads shoots very small groups. Velocity of these loads are in the 3300-3400 fps with the 110g, and please back off a couple of grains and work up to my loads.

It is not an understatement that the 270 loves the 90g and 110g bullet weights.

I shoot the 110g tipped triple shock for deer, with the same loads and bullet impact never changes from the varmint load, 110g.

I will warn you that you will just about shoot a coyote in half with all these loads.

Thanks for all the info! I can't wait to start working with it. Thinkin I need to buy both 90s and the 110s and start working with all three. Thanks again!

Shelton

Originally Posted By: gary paughSpeer 100gr tnt bullet is great for blowing big holes in things only bullet I've ever used on a coyote that I could see clear through the coyote.

I have never seen the 100s. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info!

Shelton

I have been reloading 110 v maxs with 52 gr of 760 win ball powder for my .270...im still new to reloading...have not have a chance to shoot a yote with it yet but I will say it is a very accurate round...gonna start calling after ohios deer shotgun season. Ill definatly let you know how they do if I have any luck.

Originally Posted By: gmeI have been reloading 110 v maxs with 52 gr of 760 win ball powder for my .270...im still new to reloading...have not have a chance to shoot a yote with it yet but I will say it is a very accurate round...gonna start calling after ohios deer shotgun season. Ill definatly let you know how they do if I have any luck.

Thanks for the info! For sure keep my posted on what they do to coyotes. I am new to reloading as well thats why I am very excited to reload for the 270 because I had always been limited to factory ammo before. I got to thinking about it the other night and I have not shot my 270 and almost 2 years since I can't use it for deer in Iowa and I use my 22-250 or 223 for coyotes, so it is time to dust the ol girl off. It even has a new Vortex scope on it that has never been sighted in. Thanks again!

Shelton

Last edited:
Back