the forgotten trigger???

steve garrett

I have always known about the RRA varmint trigger, but never had a chance to play with one. The other day a neighbor wanted to trade barrels, his gun is a stock RRA a4 varmint model. I wanted a long heavy barrel and had exactly what he was looking for to trade. Anyways I got a chance to play with the trigger a bit. its got a 2.5# takeup and a 1# extra final stage for a total of 3.5# it also breaks at a very consistent pull weight. there is no creep in the break and it is very crisp. I have geissele's top of the line high speed match rifle mine is 2# and 1#, 3# total it will go less than that, but I don't like it for hunting any lighter. it has a slight amount of creep that I should be able to adjust out. The problem I see is this RRA varmint trigger is $89 bucks I paid $200 more for the geissele. I am wondering why on earth is it worth the extra money.

with all that said I know there are things companies do to get a lighter pull weight, mainly reduced power hammer spring. does anyone know what RRA has done to get the pull this light?? does this trigger have issues with milsurp ammo?? if it doesn't and can fire anything for $89 bucks there isn't a better trigger on the planet for a coyote hunting ar 15

All I run are RRA 2 stage match triggers. I change out the trigger spring and disconnector spring with jp springs but leave the hammer spring alone. Changing the hammer spring has very little effect on pull weight. The trigger spring affects the first stage, disconnector spring affects second stage. By experimenting and trimming half a coil at a time you can get the second stage to the pull weight you desire. Your right, for $90 it's plenty good enough for me.

Stop it now you are making to much sense. You just explained what you are really paying for, and that's the name and marketing costs. That's it.

Your extra $200 is going for a quality trigger that will last. I don't have any personal experience using a RRA trigger and never will, because I have read way too many accounts of the second stage going out on them. Do a google search and you will see what I am talking about. I have played around with a display model at a gun show and it did feel nice, but I won't take a chance on one.

if the second stage goes out something is wrong with the springs, which is an easy fix. heck buy a new one trigger if you have to. it would still be cheaper than a geissele. I have used RRA's regular national match. its a decent trigger but its still around 5# some may be a little less. I tried messing around with the springs on it. by putting in some JP springs. I never could get mine to work right with the jp springs. I used the first stage, trigger spring?? this spring didn't have enough weight to properly reset. I also pressed out the pin and tried changing out the disconnecter spring. nothing worked right for me when adding in the jp spring. So I just went back to the stock RRA springs. That trigger is on my backup gun

I'll be interested to hear more about this trigger after some rounds through the rifle. Springfield triggers are really good too out of the box but as they wear they have been known to start causing problems. A lot of these parts are only surface hardened and when you stone or file them you can compromise the hardening on the metal and they start to wear and the surfaces won't maintain their shape.

Like the poster above paid once cried once and bought a Geissele. In looking I read the same things about the RR 2 stage and decided not to chance it.

I Google'd it. Several times. There are not very many first hand accounts of problem RRA triggers. Seems like there may have been issues back 12+ years ago when they first came out, users say they sent them back and got them fixed. Now, you mostly just read badmouthing but no personal bad experience.

I just purchased one, so I guess I'll find out!

I have a RRA two stage in my .204AR with the common change of JP spring and have run that set up for years with no problem...It's every bit as good as my Chip McCormick single stage drop in in my .223 competition AR..For $100 less...

Back