Tending to a cut on my dog

chewi004

Looking for any advice on tending what I would consider, a decent cut on my dog.

She ran through some barb wire fence a few days ago while chasing her ball. She hasn't been favoring it, and rarely even licks it. But it is sensitive to the touch. It is about 2 inches long and about 1/4" deep. I wouldnt be concerned if it didn't look so harsh and constantly stays wide open. It didn't bleed a lot, but like I said it is every bit of 1/4" deep.

It very well could use a few stitches, but she doesn't pay any attention to it or favor it at all so I am hesitant to call the doc. That and we are releasing quail on the farm Saturday
thumbup1.gif

I have been wrapping it periodically and putting some neosporene on it. Is that abut all I can do? Also, Can dogs get tetanus?

We used to have a kennel of beagles and they were getting various kinds of cuts all the time. We treated them with the blue lotion you can buy at Tractor Supply and places like that, and it does a great job of disinfecting and healing.

See if you can find a bottle of Vetricin and keep it on the cut. It will help to dry it out and kill the bacteria.

I'm going to go ahead and suggest a veterinarian might be the best person to ask this question.

That said, we had a dog that had an open abscess once that the vet gave us scarlet oil to put on it twice a day to keep it clean and let it heal from the inside out. It seemed to work quite well.

My wife is a vet. I'd strongly suggest you take the animal in and get a round of antibiotics just to be on the safe side. Lots of nasty stuff can get in the wound that topicals won't take care of. Better to spend a bit now than a lot later.

If money and time is no issue, take it to a vet. I personally would just keep an eye on the dog and see how things are going. I always have Ceph pills around if I think something is looking questionable, but the dog will let you know if things are not right. Don't sew or staple unless you have to... you don't want to close things off unless you are trying to save tissue that won't close up on its own.

Last edited:
Back