Coyote hunter in North Carolina

billy28

I was wondering if anyone up here is hunting in North Carolina. I have just begun hunting predators last February with my 10 yr ago son. Just look for some tips to help us and maybe some people to hunt with.

Welcome billy28!
Yes there are a good number of NC hunters on here. Tips for hunting coyotes in NC.....
1) be aware that they use cover to bust you.
2) find many many spots to hunt so you always have a fresh place to go.
3) hunt near the cattle. When I get a new place to hunt ...the first question I ask is if they have cattle.
4) I have steared away from taking my kids in NC.....you might go 20 stands without seeing anything.

Good Luck!!

I hunt Southern Va., not NC but pretty close.
I will say that I also like to hunt near, but not in, cows. Cows can be a real PITA, they are curious and will often come right in to the call. Then you will have to either get up and run the cows away, or move.
I try to set up in a part of the field that the cows are far away from. And I set up close to the field edge, within kill range of the cover. In my experience eastern coyotes will skirt the cover edge more often than not. They just don't bust out across an open field and run to you. Hunt close to the cover and you will have a better chance. The most productive times for me are the last 20 minutes before dark if you want to hunt during daylight, but I have more success at night than I do in the day. Pay close attention to the wind. They will almost always come in down wind of the call so figure that into your stand location. Good luck, I've been hunting eastern coyotes for several years now and it is not at all like the western videos that you see on tv. Stick with it, pick your stands with care, and sooner or later you will figure out what works for you.

We have called in a few and and made the kill but we have also not set in the stand long enough and missed a kill because we got up to move to early. So what is the average time you set in a stand day or night.

Other guys will have different opinions but when I hunt daylight I only make one stand. I set up at least 1 hour before dark and I stay put until last light. Every one of the coyotes that I have called in the day have come in the last 15-30 minutes. So in my experience that is the prime time and that time only comes once a day. I have tried to call during mid afternoon but I personally have never had success. So after trying to hunt mid day like in the videos about 50 times I decided that was not working for me.
I don't hunt mornings but some guys do have success then.
At night, I typically stay on a stand at least 30 minutes. I've had them come in within 5 minutes, but also at 30 minutes.
I start right after dark and hunt until 9:00 - 10:00 pm. I'm too old to stay out all night.

get real good at howling with a good howler and locate them before you call at them. just like a turkey hunt. and try your very best to make sure you can see them when they try to go down wind. i like to use highways and rivers and lakes and fields on my downwind side to aid in keeping them from going down wind. listen at the birds and squirrels to tell you where a predator is.

I'm a noob to predators and in Holly Springs, I've been hunting deer for years. Yotes showed up two years ago, I haven't popped any of the many foxes, I find they're very frequently with a group of mature does. A huge cat has shown up behind the farm, I haven't got it on a game cam, just prints.

Back