Coyote rig combination?

Muttwalker

Looking to piece and part together an AR coyote rig, and just curious what people are using. Barrel length, glass, and the usual stuff. Pics are welcome as is fitting feed back. Thanks

Purely my opinions I have built 3 and modified the first one that was factory to the point that the only remaining original part is the lower. lower pick the roll mark that you like as there not that many I think three who actually do the forgings so the difference will be in the final machining. Triggers get a good one I have a Geissele 2 stage and love it. A good trigger is far and above better than a combat trigger group. get the best barrel you can afford others will be able to speak to this better than I. Bolt and carrier don't scrimp here either as they are the heart of you weapon in addition to the barrel. All mine are 1/9 twist I could not find what I wanted in a 1/8 or 1/7 but I don't shoot over 69gr and a majority of the surplus ammo is 55 or 62 gr so that fits a 1/9.

Chamber mine are all 556 but I have read good things on wilde I think that is supposed to go both 223 and 556 with tighter groups than a 556 shooting 223 but I have no experience with them again could not find in the profile I wanted and the finish. My first AR started out life in 97 as a chrome lined 14.5" pinned muzzle break to make it 16" and would shoot 1-2" moa but I decided I did not want the restrictions of the 14.5 if I wanted to change the flash hider and I wanted the little bit extra velocity of the 16" without sacrificing a compact platform.

My latest barrel is a melonite 16" and with factory ammo is 1" or less at 100m could be better if I were a handloader and did my part off a bench. So far I have been happy with it and have no regrets swapping it out but I kept the original and with 3k rounds through it it's still a shooter. As to length I think that would depend on the distances you want to shoot and carry it.

Mine started out life as a DI and for reasons that suited me I converted to a gas piston and have been happy with it. You will get lots of varying opinions do your research and determine what fits your needs, My .02 ymmv

the photo wont post right now

Last edited:
#1)...for a coyote calling rig,, a 16 inch m4 will do mosr everything you need.

2)..adjustable stock,, for different clothing needs.

3)...Glass....red dot to 3x9 ...I have become a fan of low power circle dots/lighted reticles.

Hope this helps!!

X

I have one in 556 223 16" carbine gas tube and one in 204 18" mid length gas I run TIMNEY triggers and love them BCG I perfer Chrome they clean much easier glass the 556 I run 3x9 and 204 I run 4.5x14.

If you are buying upper and lowers I would check out Aero precision they make great stuff at a good price and I would buy a lot of my stuff from Joe bobs they have great prices.

I bought a R-15 in 22in,223 when they first came out,i loved it an still do.Prob was is on heavy side,and seamed coyote keep getting back up when shot.Had to keep shooting them.
Ive build a 6.8spc with 16in barrel,adjustable stock,pretty much what ever else i found on sale,to keep cost and weight low.Did trigger springs from joebobs.It not like the timmy in my r-15,but for 16.00 its pretty close.
Havent shot a coyote with 6.8 yet but dought they will get back up
3x9x40 scope on 6.8,3x12 on 223,may end up swapping out.

Last edited:
I originally started hunting predators with an M4. I have since upgraded to a 16in bull barrel .223 flat top, with a Nikon 2.5-10 scope for my regular "go to" coyote gun.

Recently I fell in love with the 6.5grendel. Definitely not fur friendly but it puts them down, hard. This is important during coyote competitions. I currently have a 20in 6.5g flat top with a Millet 4-14 mil-dot illuminated reticle. I also have a Burris Fast Fire II mounted on a 45 de. mount for getting up close. This eliminates the need for two guns on a stand. This rifle will reach WAY out there to get those coyotes that hang up. My 6.5 is one of our billet upper/lower combinations. Billet is light but strong and worth the price. I have a 20in stainless 416 barrel, target crowned with a full length hand guard. I use one or our one piece triggers that breaks at a clean 3lbs and use a rifle buffer and tube for quicker follow up shots. It is a bit heavier than my normal fur hanging rig but with a 123gr Hornady SST it gets the job done.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo

Recently I fell in love with the 6.5grendel. Definitely not fur friendly but it puts them down, hard. This is important during coyote competitions. I currently have a 20in 6.5g flat top with a Millet 4-14 mil-dot illuminated reticle. I also have a Burris Fast Fire II mounted on a 45 de. mount for getting up close. This eliminates the need for two guns on a stand. This rifle will reach WAY out there to get those coyotes that hang up. My 6.5 is one of our billet upper/lower combinations. Billet is light but strong and worth the price. I have a 20in stainless 416 barrel, target crowned with a full length hand guard. I use one or our one piece triggers that breaks at a clean 3lbs and use a rifle buffer and tube for quicker follow up shots. It is a bit heavier than my normal fur hanging rig but with a 123gr Hornady SST it gets the job done.

I like this!!!! Other options if you can load your own.
6dti (6.8 spc necked down to 6mm)
243/25wssm (some factory loads available)
6grendel/243lbc

It depends a lot on where you hunt and how good you are at getting them in close.

I think once i finish dialing in the 458 socom, a 6.5grendel will be my next gun build.

It depends on where in Oreagon you are hunting and if you are skinning and selling the hides..

20cal is good, and pelt friendly, cheaper to reload and flat shooting. Its more effected on wind drift than bigger bullets, but it's easily manageable.

If you are out in the central and eastern parts of your state, where shots are longer, i might suggest something a little bigger.

If you are not skinning at all, go 6.5

In eather case I like Vortex scopes with something in the 4-12 or more range, less than three isn't really needed. I like to carry a shotgun on stand for anything inside 50yrds anyways.

Personal choice if i was out in central or eastern OR, and reloaded, I would do the 6x45 with a 4-12 bullet drop type of reticle, and a 12g shotgun that takes 3" shells.

If i was hunting coastal or NW parts, and didn't reload 5.56 and run some 53gr 223 ammo with a 1:9 twist 18" barrel.
Good luck making a choice.. There is just so many to choose from it's almost to tough to just get one. (hint)

GregAs a coyote rig the 6X6.8 in an 18" would serve you well. 58's as fast as you could want and heavier bullets if called for. Brass is made with bushing dies or a stabdard stle single pass set up. No fire forming and GTG right out the die as the shoulder position and angle remain untouched. Proven here with nany successes on coyotes up to antelope.

^^^^ the 6x6.8 is the best all around ar15 caliber right now. I've been going with a standard profile barrel that's a little longer on my last few builds. Just to stretch the speeds out as much as possible, and the standard profile instead of the heavier profiles which aren't needed for coyote hunting at all. It's even debatable if you need a heavy barrel for colony shooting now.

Originally Posted By: Skinnypete73^^^^ the 6x6.8 is the best all around ar15 caliber right now. I've been going with a standard profile barrel that's a little longer on my last few builds. Just to stretch the speeds out as much as possible, and the standard profile instead of the heavier profiles which aren't needed for coyote hunting at all. It's even debatable if you need a heavy barrel for colony shooting now.

Is the 6x6.8 a necked down 6.8spc?

Sure appreciate all the feedback. I am liking the sounds of the 16 inch for as much hiking as I do. More than likely I would like to keep the killing out to 300yds for the terrain I usely hunt but get to poke around on some ranches with wide opened fields as well.

GLShooter- That 6x6.8 would be something I wouldn't mind pondering. Hows the effective range? Does anyone have any field test, grain of bullet with some load results and any info they would like to share? Thanks

Originally Posted By: MuttwalkerSure appreciate all the feedback. I am liking the sounds of the 16 inch for as much hiking as I do. More than likely I would like to keep the killing out to 300yds for the terrain I usely hunt but get to poke around on some ranches with wide opened fields as well.

GLShooter- That 6x6.8 would be something I wouldn't mind pondering. Hows the effective range? Does anyone have any field test, grain of bullet with some load results and any info they would like to share? Thanks

Ritch is the coyote killer with it with several guys here shooting it. As a big game round a 646. yard antelope was a good test bed. That was a 90. The 58 VMAX runs right on 3550 is a solid 400 yards. Ritch has one of those that literally could do well in a bench rest match. Load data is certainly available. That's stuff we've shot not Quick Load projections.

Greg

too bad there isn't a 22-6.8

coyote guns let see, I like a 20" barrel, you get some extra speed and you need all you can get with a 16" barrel your probably going to be at least 200 fps slower, not a huge deal but IMO enough to matter.

It really depends on what you want to spend. I would recommend a 20" criterion barrel, hybrid contour. $260 at brownells. I just did a gun with a nordic free float handguard. I like it. midwest is a touch nicer but double the money. butt stocks I like the RRA operator stock, 6 pos. trigger, geissele is nice but expensive. The RRA varmint might just be the best deal for the money.

that 6x6.8 sounds kinda cool, but I have a tuff time with a boutique round in an ar 15. I don't wanna stress out about where my brass ends up. OR if my gun ruffed up the brass. I also like to shoot my AR quite a bit. I dealt with ammo hassle with the grendel I used to have. I would rather just open up a box of ammo and start shooting. thats why I prefer 223.

Originally Posted By: steve garretttoo bad there isn't a 22-6.8

coyote guns let see, I like a 20" barrel, you get some extra speed and you need all you can get with a 16" barrel your probably going to be at least 200 fps slower, not a huge deal but IMO enough to matter.

It really depends on what you want to spend. I would recommend a 20" criterion barrel, hybrid contour. $260 at brownells. I just did a gun with a nordic free float handguard. I like it. midwest is a touch nicer but double the money. butt stocks I like the RRA operator stock, 6 pos. trigger, geissele is nice but expensive. The RRA varmint might just be the best deal for the money.

that 6x6.8 sounds kinda cool, but I have a tuff time with a boutique round in an ar 15. I don't wanna stress out about where my brass ends up. OR if my gun ruffed up the brass. I also like to shoot my AR quite a bit. I dealt with ammo hassle with the grendel I used to have. I would rather just open up a box of ammo and start shooting. thats why I prefer 223.

Actually there is a 22X6.8. I shoot the snot out of it. 50's at 3750 make for mean down range activity. It can handle up to 80's at speed. It is a 1:8.

6X6.8 ammunition is available commercially loaded with 58's.

Good cartidges on the 6.8 from 20 to 6.5.

Greg

Last edited:
Back