Recommendations for .223 bullets that expand at low velocities?

223 Fan

Need recommendations for .223 caliber bullets that are the most expanding and / or frangible at lower velocities?

Would be interested in recommendations for bullet weights ranging from 55 to 80 grains...

Does anybody know any bullets that might expand at velocities even as low as 1100 fps? Yup, not likely, but its worth asking. Trying to develop a subsonic .223 load for varmints at close range.

Once I get some ideas, I'll work up some reloads and test them on wet phonebooks or the like and report back. The plan is to start slow and work up in velocity (even if have to go supersonic) until the bullets expand reliably. The ultimate goal is to get the quietest, but still reliable, varmint load for 100 yards or less.

Thanks, 233 Fan

Last edited:
I loaded some 40 grn V-Max bullets with lighter charges of Alliant 2400 powder. These show 2600 fps on my chrony. There are other pistol powders that work for lower speed loads. One could get down towards 2000 fps without to much trouble.

You might try to find some of the Hornady SE (Super Explosive) bullets...The are limited to 3300fps and are more dependable out of slower twist barrels, but they do fragment easily...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleYou might try to find some of the Hornady SE (Super Explosive) bullets...The are limited to 3300fps and are more dependable out of slower twist barrels, but they do fragment easily...

I think you mean their "SX" bullets (super explosive.) They are designed to work at .222 velocities. They even used to have a small note in them saying that.

Last edited:
I think I was getting 22-2300 fps with some 223 reloads using imr 4227. I was using hornady 50 gr sp. they worked well on beaver. On a head on shot would not exit. Think I had a load around 1600 fps with 800x as well. I think you might want to try those spsx could be right up your alley. There is also a bee bullet they make as well think it might be a hollow point.

At 1100fps, the only thing I can suggest would be a cast lead bullet. You are talking adult air rifle speeds. It will also need to be heavy to carry enough energy. Trajectory will be like a Red Rider BB gun.

how about the speer tnt I use them in my 3006 for deer awesome bullet fragmentation some say to light but they are 130 grain and deadly never had a exit wound.
so I believe at low velocity in a 223 they would be fine . I believe 3000 or 3200 it top speed .

just my 2 cents,
Scott

Back