Ruger #1 accuracy?

Originally Posted By: possumalI don't get your meaning. I have never seen a Ruger number 1 that wasn't extremely accurate.

You're kidding ..... right?
blink.gif

The #1 is likely one of the best looking rifles I've ever owned. And the "cool factor" is great. But I know a bunch of people who have them and NONE are better than 1.5 MOA rifles. They are notorious for bad accuracy unless tweaked by the owner, and even then it's a toss up.

And this is coming from a dedicated Ruger guy who has a safe full of Rugers. But "0" are #1s.

No, I'm not kidding at all, but my experience with them dates back quite a ways. Two friends of mine had them in 270 caliber and would outshoot anything around at the time. One of them also had a 243 and it shot well too.

Originally Posted By: possumalI don't get your meaning. I have never seen a Ruger number 1 that wasn't extremely accurate.

If you ever get down to Kansas stop by. I'll show you 3.

Originally Posted By: Johnny BOriginally Posted By: possumalI don't get your meaning. I have never seen a Ruger number 1 that wasn't extremely accurate.

If u ever get down to Texas... I'll show you 4 that will and do shoot well, that is if you do your part!

Originally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: Johnny BOriginally Posted By: possumalI don't get your meaning. I have never seen a Ruger number 1 that wasn't extremely accurate.

If u ever get down to Texas... I'll show you 4 that will and do shoot well, that is if you do your part!

What is your idea of "very accurate" and what would you call a good trigger? I get down to Texas often. Will be there for a four day hunt starting the 21st then back in Jan. if my company wasn't grounded in KS, Tx is where I would be.

I have a Ruger #1V in .220 swift and it is wicked accurate. Don't believe the naysayers. I shoot clover leaves with mine. I shoot a 55gr vmax over 44.0 gr of H414. It chronographs at 3950 and is lights out on any coyote. Get the Swift and you won't be sorry.

Actually, you HAVE to believe the naysayers in anything. If 100 say no and 1 says yes, odds are the 1 is a fluke. The 1 that says ignore the 100 should be ignored. People win powerball, but the lottery is still a bad investment.

Originally Posted By: SwiftKillI have a Ruger #1V in .220 swift and it is wicked accurate. Don't believe the naysayers. I shoot clover leaves with mine. I shoot a 55gr vmax over 44.0 gr of H414. It chronographs at 3950 and is lights out on any coyote. Get the Swift and you won't be sorry.

I don't doubt for a minute that you have a #1 that shoots like that. They ARE out there. But the vast MAJORITY of them are poor in the accuracy department. Glad to see yours isn't!

I talked to a number one collector today and brought up this thread. According to him almost all the swifts are shooters. He also said that the tropical series chambered in big bore rounds always shot pretty well too. The others tended to be a crap shoot.

I have 6 Ruger No#1s - they are some of the most beautiful factory guns around. I dont think I have every seen one with ugly wood (except the laminates)...

I have a 375 H&H Tropical that is a 1" 100yd gun and a 22-250 and 220 Swift that are both cloverleaf at 100yds..

The others, 7mm, 25-06 and 45-70 are not as accurate - 1.5" at 100 if I do my part.. But still excellent hunting rifles..

I remember seeing the Ruger Ads for the Number #1s and Number #3s in Outdoor Life when I was a boy in the 70's and dreamed about having one to hunt groundhogs - now I make that dream come true everytime I see a good deal on one LOL!!

Originally Posted By: oh_pred_hntrI have 6 Ruger No#1s - they are some of the most beautiful factory guns around. I dont think I have every seen one with ugly wood (except the laminates)...

I have a 375 H&H Tropical that is a 1" 100yd gun and a 22-250 and 220 Swift that are both cloverleaf at 100yds..

The others, 7mm, 25-06 and 45-70 are not as accurate - 1.5" at 100 if I do my part.. But still excellent hunting rifles..

I remember seeing the Ruger Ads for the Number #1s and Number #3s in Outdoor Life when I was a boy in the 70's and dreamed about having one to hunt groundhogs - now I make that dream come true everytime I see a good deal on one LOL!!

I hear you. I don't need one but can't pass one in a gun shop without a once over. They do have some of the best wood out there in today's gun market. Some of the older ones have outstanding wood.
I have a 25.06 that is sub MOA, a .204 that is 1", a .300 mag that strings vertically, and a 30.06 that shoots 3" groups no matter what load. It's a pig in a poke but I will still buy another when one jumps out at me.

Originally Posted By: tdoykamy ruger #1 is a 270 win and it does .3" at 100 yards. 130gr nbt with imr4320. made during 1973

today i had my ruger #1 out, i also had some more bullets. 150gr nosler ballistic tip with a load of imr4350 at 52.0gr. this one came to .268", .302", and .296" at 100 yards(3 shots). i dont know how or why, but the ruger always comes out #1.
thumbup.gif

I have always been a big fan of the #1 I own two a .204 which shoots very well under 1 inch with hand loads and one in .243 win after a little work with my hand loads it shoots right at about 1 inch. I agree the triggers need a little work but it can definitely be done not to mention they are a [beeep] good looking rifle.

So in a whole seems like a ruger #1 will kill anything you want to point a it...You guys with your 1/16 groups....

Originally Posted By: Johnny BOriginally Posted By: oh_pred_hntrI have 6 Ruger No#1s - they are some of the most beautiful factory guns around. I dont think I have every seen one with ugly wood (except the laminates)...

I hear you. I don't need one but can't pass one in a gun shop without a once over. They do have some of the best wood out there in today's gun market. Some of the older ones have outstanding wood.
I have a 25.06 that is sub MOA, a .204 that is 1", a .300 mag that strings vertically, and a 30.06 that shoots 3" groups no matter what load. It's a pig in a poke but I will still buy another when one jumps out at me.
I'm right there with you, I can't walk by a #1 without taking a look. I have the hots for an RSI and I have a feeling this ones going to cost me (a lot) .

Back