Sow double = more sausage

Yellowhammer

Staff member
The deer activity has been a little slow, but I had group of hogs come in just before dark. Dropped one at the feeder, and they scattered only to regroup down a different lane 90 degrees away at a different feeder and was able to drop another one.

The speer 100 grain from the 25-06 was like a bolt of lightning. Never left their tracks.

Smyrnahogs11-3-13_zpsc8a11cdd.jpg

A hundred grain from a 25.06 is a great round!

We put up over 200 pounds of sausage last weekend, everybody loves it...

Most are. Makes good sausage and grilled up. Tends to be much leaner than domestic, so you have to be careful not to cook it too dry.

50 lbs is a lot....I'm still chomping away at 30 lbs from a few months ago. Do you add fat to it ? I don't so it's very lean, more like ground pork that sausage, in hamburger sized patties in a zip lock bag, no casing. I don't think I could eat as much if I added fat....I'd be fat.
Good job !!

Most times I don't add fat, but I add about 3.5 pounds of pork fat to this 50 pound batch. Like you say, the wild hogs are pretty lean.

I do my own processing. Costs way too much now days, and I like doing it myself.

Once the meat is all boned out, I mix in the REO Old Fashioned #8 seasoning.
100_5372.jpg

Then it goes through the grinder for first time with the chili plate.

Then I change to the smaller plate, add the funnel and run it into storage bags.

100_5373.jpg

100_5374.jpg

Then all you have to do is stack in the freezer until ready to eat.

100_5375.jpg

Last edited:
I live NY and we don't have hogs here but I hear about the Brucellosis and wondered what you do to keep free of contamination from skinning to pan. I butcher all my own meat and there seems to be a lot of places where contamination would occur. We are contemplating moving to Florida and I would like to hunt hogs there but from what I read I have concerns about this disease that I am not familiar with. Thanks for your reply in advance.

I use rubber surgical gloves when gutting and skinning, but not when actually cutting the meat.

Contact with blood and guts is mainly what I am worried about when it comes to brucellosis and pysdo-rabies.

Thanks for the reply, So one it is gutted, skinned then no worry? Would not want that on the Kitchen counter or such.I do enjoy making smoked sausage and such with the venison here.

I will be going down to Florida Panhandle for a couple of months this winter, If things go good we will go back in the summer for a month or so to see about moving there.Have been reading a lot about hunting hogs there and not being familiar with hogs I am trying to sort out the truth from fiction before I get myself in trouble not knowing what I am doing, and about using them for my meat supply. This site and its members help a lot.

Back