best coyote ammo choice for tikka 22-250

I had a tikka t3 lite that loved the winchester 45 grain white box ammo, not sure how it would do on coyotes though..

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Only interested in ammo for the t3? There are many different factory ammo choices none of which are specifically better in any brand of rifle. Out of 2 savages with 14twist one wouldn't shoot the 55s at all but the other shoots great with them. Point being just because its brand z doesn't mean it will like load x over load y. With a 14 twist 55 gr bts are going to be about the max. If your talking factory ammo I'd reccomend winchester white box 45 gr HP or hornady superformance 50gr BT. I haven't heard of either of these rounds being bad in a 14 twist.

I don't have a Tikka but that shouldn't matter. A .22-250 is a cartridge and that is what you're picking ammo for. The 1:14 twist likes a 52 gr bullet and is the only thing I've found mine will shoot well. I confess that I'm going to try the 55 gr Sierra Spitzer with lead tip next and I think that one will shoot fine. The 50 gr bullets have been less than stellar for me.

It's trial and error till you find what shoots in your rifle.

what options do I have for factory loads in 52g? Dont see many choices. Another reason to hand load I suppose. Would rather find factory stuff because I am not ready to commit to hand loading.

Originally Posted By: joedI don't have a Tikka but that shouldn't matter. A .22-250 is a cartridge and that is what you're picking ammo for. The 1:14 twist likes a 52 gr bullet and is the only thing I've found mine will shoot well. I confess that I'm going to try the 55 gr Sierra Spitzer with lead tip next and I think that one will shoot fine. The 50 gr bullets have been less than stellar for me.

Sounds like a blanket statement based on your rifle. Certainly does not cover my rifle which is 1/14 Twist. Based on the examples your rifle sounds extremely limited.

tripod3 said:
Mine and my Sakos do well with 45 gr winchester white box. They shoot a bit higher than the others after sight in. The White box has been very popular and harder to find. they shoot dirtier than the others so I clean the bore more often.
#2 is Remington Accu-Tip 50 gr( rumored to be a Vmax bullet) but these loads seem to do better for me. They were up for free shipping at Bass Pro and $5 per box by Remington.
#3 is Winchester Supreme Ballistic tip 50 gr., These have Lubalox coating on the bullets. They are a nosler combined tech bullet. This is not moly Which is a mess.
#4 is a 55gr psp which is great for close stuff very little damage.
The Rem and Win are also available in 55 gr which work fine. I have chosen the 50 gr for less damage and flat shooting.

winchester 45gr whitebox groups/shoots best in mine also - factory loads

Originally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: joedI don't have a Tikka but that shouldn't matter. A .22-250 is a cartridge and that is what you're picking ammo for. The 1:14 twist likes a 52 gr bullet and is the only thing I've found mine will shoot well. I confess that I'm going to try the 55 gr Sierra Spitzer with lead tip next and I think that one will shoot fine. The 50 gr bullets have been less than stellar for me.

Sounds like a blanket statement based on your rifle. Certainly does not cover my rifle which is 1/14 Twist. Based on the examples your rifle sounds extremely limited.

Not just one rifle, a Savage 12 VS and 3 Remington 700's. All have liked the 52 gr Sierra.

I probably shouldn't say nothing else shoots, more like nothing else shoots as tight a group as the 52 gr match bullet.

The 55 gr Sierra Blitzking shot OK but again, it was not as accurate as the 52 gr match bullet.

I would be curious to know what you shot that you feel was accurate and what size groups you got from your rifle. I'm not calling you out, just asking what shot good for you.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Mine and my Sakos do well with 45 gr winchester white box. They shoot a bit higher than the others after sight in. The White box has been very popular and harder to find. they shoot dirtier than the others so I clean the bore more often.
#2 is Remington Accu-Tip 50 gr( rumored to be a Vmax bullet) but these loads seem to do better for me. They were up for free shipping at Bass Pro and $5 per box by Remington.
#3 is Winchester Supreme Ballistic tip 50 gr., These have Lubalox coating on the bullets. They are a nosler combined tech bullet. This is not moly Which is a mess.
#4 is a 55gr psp which is great for close stuff very little damage.
The Rem and Win are also available in 55 gr which work fine. I have chosen the 50 gr for less damage and flat shooting.
It has taken all of my Tikkas several boxes of ammo before the sighting settles in.

Quote:I would be curious to know what you shot that you feel was accurate and what size groups you got from your rifle. I'm not calling you out, just asking what shot good for you.

Above is my previous post in this thread page 2. If it wont shoot 1" or better to meet the manufacturers guarantee I dont like it.
The 55 gr core-lokt meet 1 ". The 45 gr white box meet 1" easily. The Accu-Tip and Supreme ballistic tip go 1/2 to 5/8 regularly. I can impress myself with these. All out of Tikkas and Sakos .22-250 1/14 at 100 yards.
Dont just take my word for it, as there are tons of reviews here and across the net with the same results.
I somewhat expect it from the more expensive ammo. The one that surprises me is the white box at a lower price. I have had friends That may have never shot my rifle punch a group of three and maybe even two touching. And they do ok on coyotes.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxjoed are these hand loads? or factory

These are hand loads but I can't get factory to do well either. They generally give me 1" groups which I don't consider that good when the 52 gr match will put 5 shots in a group I can just about cover with a dime.

The two Remington rifles I load for do the same thing. They just refuse to shoot the 50 gr bullets decently, and the 55 gr does slightly better. I have no idea why they prefer the 52 gr. That's one of the reasons I'm following this thread.

I've had two tikka t3 lite 22-250s and I have two tikka t3 varmint 22-250s, one varmint is a 22-250 AI. I pretty much shot the first Lite out, and I always shot 50gr Hornady SP and 52gr Hornady Amax handloads out of it. It always shot them very well and killed coyotes dead. But I'd get exit holes and damage with the 50gr sp. When I changed that first lite out for a new one and the varmint, I made up a handload with RL15 and 40gr vmax. I push em fast. I'm very happy with the performance on yotes, like them much more than the heavier bullets.

To me, the best tire bullet for the 22-250 or 223 is the 40gr vmax. This is my experience.

Good luck.

Are there any factory 52g or 53g loads that get good results? I appriate a of the handload info but for now I just want to see what kind of results I can get from factory ammo. For what I am using it for It would be cheaper to pay someone to load some for me. Are there people that do custom loads for others?

The nosler bt varmint line seems to be accurate across the board in any brand of rifle. with a 1:14 id try the 50 or 55 gr (assuming you are handloading) they are also one of the best coyote/predator bullets out there so that would be my first pick

The most accurate factory ammo I ever tried was the Combined Tech ammo in 50 gr. It shot well in my Savage .22-250. Never tried it in the Remingtons so can't say.

No i am not loading. I appreciate all the handload info as entertainment, but not really doing anything other than makin me feel like Im the only one not doin it. This my first centerfire rifle and dont feel like investing in loading for my only centerfire. I havent een fired the rifle yet. I just want to know what FACTORY ammo to start with and what to avoid. I know im gonna have to sample several flavors,st gathering info on what factory loads guys sugget in a 1:14 twist tikka T3 lite. Sounds like 52g 53g is favored. Are they avail in factory ammo?

I picked up a box of winchester white box 45g and hornady vmax 55g.
And heres what i have on my list to watch for.

Rem grn/wh 45g hollow
Rem accutip 50g 55g
Winch Supreme bal tip 50g 55g
55g cor loct
Accu tip supreme
Vmax 50g

open to sggestions

I may get the same results with both weights but for a ballistic tip I have settled in on the 50 gr. It shoots fast and flat but retains the boat tail that the 40 doesnt.
The point of impact is the same for Accutip 50 in my Sakos and closer to 45gr White box than a 55 is.

With all this Tikka talk I decided to take my 22-250 T3 hunting this moring. Got a beautiful big female coyote. Nosler 55 grain Ballistic tip. Quartering shot at 223 yds with a bullet size entry wound at just behind the shoulder and no exit. Spun and ran about 20 yards then dropped.

I recomend the 55 NBTs or at least give em a try. Mine are handloads that are sized to shoot in both the Tikka and the Savage. I would think a factory load would shoot as good too.

Last edited:
Back