Anyone used the new caliber specific scopes from Cabelas?

Rambo

I looked through one the other day and it seemed to be decent glass and felt well built. I don't like buying cheap optics but they come with a lifetime over the counter warranty. I am thinking of mounting one on a 243 but figured I would ask here first. I also have the option of paying a little more and just getting a Nikon Prostaff or something similar that are proven. What do y'all think?

Originally Posted By: RamboI also have the option of paying a little more and just getting a Nikon Prostaff or something similar that are proven. What do y'all think?

Sounds like you already know which route to take.

I'm certain that there are folks who will tell you their Cabelas brand scope is the best glass ever. But honestly, if it's a scope manufactured to a specific retailer's specifications, I'm extremely hesitant to mount it on a rifle that I am depending on in the field.

All I can tell you is to NOT rely on the "reviews" that may exist on their site. I bought an item from them that turned out to be junk. I returned it for a refund. I wrote a review that praised Cabelas for their customer service, but I also told the truth about the item I had purchased. Needless to say my review was never posted. I even called them to inquire about the reason they failed to use my review and they said it was in the hands of a "3rd party" that screened the reviews. Never, ever put any faith into the reviews on Cabelas website.

well, nothing new ever becomes something proven unless people try it. question is, do you want to be one of them?

Originally Posted By: HidalgoAll I can tell you is to NOT rely on the "reviews" that may exist on their site. I bought an item from them that turned out to be junk. I returned it for a refund. I wrote a review that praised Cabelas for their customer service, but I also told the truth about the item I had purchased. Needless to say my review was never posted. I even called them to inquire about the reason they failed to use my review and they said it was in the hands of a "3rd party" that screened the reviews. Never, ever put any faith into the reviews on Cabelas website.

The same thing happened to my negative review. My review was on the .17 specific Cabelas scope...the scope looks nice and clear in the store but when you get in even moderate light conditions it's not clear...there is a good deal of blurring and to add insult to injury the .17 HMR specific drum wasn't even close when I dialed from 100 to 200 yards with the 17 gr Hornady ammo they set it up for...the only plus side is they took the scope back;

Originally Posted By: RamboI'm just about to talk myself out of trying one.

You'll be doing yourself a big favor, the scope isn't very good at all. I got snagged by Cabelas deleting bad reviews....the only reviews I found were people raving about how great it was. After I submitted my review that got deleted on it I knew why.
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: RamboI'm just about to talk myself out of trying one.

You know, whether it be this scope in question or some other item, I have found over my 60 years of wasting money that it's extremely hard to go wrong when you purchase from a manufacturer that has been in the business for many years and has sustained a dedicated following of pleased users. Whether it be Ruger, Remington, Beretta, Nikon, Leupold, FoxPro, or any other name that you recognize you'll stand a better than average chance of getting your money's worth from a purchase. Most every time that I have tried to "save some money" I ended up less than pleased with the purchase. There are certain items that you can shave a few funds off of and maybe get by with it. Scopes aren't usually one of them. I know that money is hard to turn loose of sometimes, but I'd prefer to buy a "lesser model" of a proven brand than take a chance on something else.

Originally Posted By: RamboI looked through one the other day and it seemed to be decent glass and felt well built.

You can't feel the internal workings of a scope by handling it, nor can you tell if it is going to respond properly when you adjust the turrets.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: RamboI'm just about to talk myself out of trying one.

You know, whether it be this scope in question or some other item, I have found over my 60 years of wasting money that it's extremely hard to go wrong when you purchase from a manufacturer that has been in the business for many years and has sustained a dedicated following of pleased users. Whether it be Ruger, Remington, Beretta, Nikon, Leupold, FoxPro, or any other name that you recognize you'll stand a better than average chance of getting your money's worth from a purchase. Most every time that I have tried to "save some money" I ended up less than pleased with the purchase. There are certain items that you can shave a few funds off of and maybe get by with it. Scopes aren't usually one of them. I know that money is hard to turn loose of sometimes, but I'd prefer to buy a "lesser model" of a proven brand than take a chance on something else.

Originally Posted By: RamboI looked through one the other day and it seemed to be decent glass and felt well built.

You can't feel the internal workings of a scope by handling it, nor can you tell if it is going to respond properly when you adjust the turrets.
wink.gif

+1 Hidalgo - Or as a very wise man once said:

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Well put. I think I will stick to proven scopes. Every time I have tried to save money it has ended up costing more in the long run.

"60 years of wasting money" I can relate to that.

I just don't know how the old timers killed anything with 4x or 6x scopes and skinny little cross hairs.

Save your money and buy a leupy.

Back