Good deer load for 22-250?

I've got a savage model 10 predator in 22-250. I'm wantin to deer hunt with it this year. Can't decide on which bullet weight. Thinkin the Barnes triple shock tsx. Which bullet weight do y'all think I should try? 53,55,62, or 70?

If you just want to buy one box of bullets I'd choose the 55gr. They shouldn't be too long to stabilize in the 1:12 and they hit pretty dang hard and penetrate well, probably a through and through if you avoid heavy bone. IMO.

I loaded some tsx in my wife's 7mm-08 for this year. Haven't used them before, but her Axis loves them. I'm lookin forward to seeing how they do on deer. I have used 55gr Sierra Gamekings for several deer in 223 and 22-250 with great results

I'm probably gonna go with the 62gr Barnes tsx triple schock. I'll work up some loads tomorrow after work then if I got enough time shoot. If not it'll be wenesday or Thursday

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterIf you just want to buy one box of bullets I'd choose the 55gr. They shouldn't be too long to stabilize in the 1:12 and they hit pretty dang hard and penetrate well, probably a through and through if you avoid heavy bone. IMO.

I recommended 55 gr Remington Core-Lokt to a friend shooting a Tikka. Couple days later he returned with a success story and a nice mule deer.

Winchester 64gr power points for a factory load or hand load some 60gr sierra hp. Both have done a fantastic job.

Ive heard the 62gr federal fusion is a good bullet too.

Are you looking at factory loads or hand loads ? The TSX or TTSX work well if they stabilize. You probably would have to shoot 53s or 55s in a 12 twist. I use 60 Partitions in a 12 twist Savage, but I have been looking for Nosler 64 grain bonded to try.

I run 2 loads exclusively for my Kimber. 45 gr barnes TSX running pretty hot and a Sierra Game King HPBT. The Sierra's shoot better (sub half inch) and do an awesome job on deer. I mainly use the Barnes for nostalgia but you can shoot a deer square in the shoulders with it and get an exit wound every time, and drt.

A 22 anything is a very poor deer gun!!!!
I know it's done all the time but it's a crappy choice.
If I had to pick something it would be the heaviest bullet your gun will stabilize and a fMJ

FMJ? REALLY! Only a moron would use a full metal jacket bullet to hunt with.

Thousands of deer are killed in Texas every year with a .223. I'll bet a 22-250 is not far behind. A 55 grain Nosler put in the right place will kill any whitetail. That said, there are lots of better calibers that will do a better job.

Originally Posted By: 223fanI've shot several with the 22-250. I like the remington 55gr sp. they have always worked.

We're sorry, but you have exceeded your post limit for this decade. Looking forward to your next post in 2018.

Chupa

I posted this to get advice. Didn't want to hear how stupid I am or how stupid other people are for using a smaller caliber to shoot a deer. I know there's much better caliber a to take big game with. I want to shoot one with my 22-250. If all your gonna do is criticize people then don't comment.

Back