Another season starts

Snowshoes

Flew home Sunday afternoon after enjoying some warm Mexico sunshine. Left +30 C and 4-1/2 hrs later we landed in a -9C snow covered landscape. Monday morning was -15C with a 23kmph wind (wind-chill -24C) so I was eager to try some calling down at a feedlot near a creek valley. Shortly after leaving the truck I see 4 coyotes heading east down by the creek but their too far away. Keep working my way west from the feed lot behind the cover of the hills to where the dead pile is situated.
See another two coyotes on the flat to the west so I keep working my closer. I use the lay of the land to hide my approach and when I slowly crest the last knoll I catch movement to my right which turns out to be a curious but cautious coyote. It trots to higher ground which gave me time to get the rifle ready and when it stops, a squeeze of the trigger and down goes my first coyote for the season and the first for the Cooper model 51 repeater (223 Rem). 35 yard shot.
The shot kicks coyotes scattering from the trees and into the flats where I happen to be situated. Let a couple scruffy ones pass within a few yards in hopes of seeing a better furred target. Three more head south but they too are scruffy and then I see a decent one coming directly towards the one I have down. The cross hairs were just coming onto my non expecting target when it spots the dead coyote which causes it to shift into high gear...... no shot....
After things settle down, I move a few yards and set up in front of a couple fence posts, I'm contemplating about calling when I see a single coming from the west and heading my direction along a cattle trail which weaved its way through a few big patched of buck brush. The range finder binoculars tell me the coyote is still 300+ yards so I figure to sit tight and wait. The coyote cuts straight up the creek valley and disappears which I figure its headed to the dead pile. Within a minute comes a real nice light colored coyote on the same trail but it continues a eastward direction which is good for me. It stops on a side hill and then sits down. I range it at 175 yards, zoom up the scope to 25X and squeeze the trigger, the shot is high which scares the coyote closer to me but its trotting through bush so a shot is difficult. The coyote cuts up an open trail and stops, I swing the rifle over only to do some mad searching through the scope trying to find the coyote with the scope still set at high power. Zoom the scope down but the coyote is once again on the move, which I can now follow its progress. It stops again (roughly 100 yards) and I squeeze the trigger only to shoot over again!!!. The coyote spooks and runs down the hill and runs within 5 yards past me. When it is running away I take one shot but miss, the coyote continues heading straight away from me and when its roughly 225 yards I send a last shot that cartwheels the coyote. The shots kick that first coyote down to the flats but I hold off shooting as its a long ways out. After sitting for a few minutes I decide to use an open reed call to see if I get any takers. A few distress cries and see one coming directly west of me but its still over quarter mile away, I glance to the southwest and here comes a coyote on the south side of the creek. Scope zoomed up and when the coyote stops (not far from the last one shot) I send a bullet its way. Down goes coyote # 3
I figure to try calling again and see if I can pull that other one over, sure enough, a few dreadful cries and I see movement again. Here comes not only one but 3 coyotes and I never had to call again as all three are on a fast trot. I let them get to the 100 yard mark and pick one that is broadside and fire... shoot over again!!! one of the other coyotes runs a few steps and stops, this time at the report of the rifle the coyote goes down. The first one I shot at runs a few yards and stops to look back at its downed mate... cross hairs steady on its shoulder and the shot is high again. Not impressed!!!! The coyotes are now gone and I'm shaking my head. The rifle was sighted in at 1-1/2" high @ 100 yards but why am I shooting over. Walk down to the two coyote to the south and notice that both shots are high on both. Drag them across the creek, take a picture and then continue to drag them to where I sat. Walk down to where the last coyote dropped but couldn't find it. I look up and see a coyote trotting into the bush a quarter mile away and thought that was odd until I realized that was the same coyote. I found the mark in the snow where the coyote dropped but only a few drops of blood and lots of long hair (off the back I believe).
While I was dragging the other coyotes back I guess this last one decided to leave.
Tick me off.
Got back home, dropped the coyotes off, then grabbed a target and the shooting bench. Went down to a gravel pit and fired a couple shots which both printed 3 inches high @ 100. A little concerned about what had happened to my scope I go to adjust it back down and realize what must of happened. After the original sight in I decided to unscrew the turret cap and set it to zero and then reinstall it. I was sure I never made any adjustments while tightening the screw that holds the turret cap on.... but I guess I did.... Lesson learned on the new scope!
First coyote shot
2nd and 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job on the yotes, like always.
smile.gif

Hope to see 5 of em laying in front of your rifle next time, since your scope was out. :p

Thank you all for the comments
Originally Posted By: borkoni feels like i was right there with you.
good job.

a .223 ?? a .223 ???????. i thought you were a .204 guy?
Yes a.223
smile.gif
Still have a .204 though.
I have reverted back to the .223. Over the past 40 years I've tried a few different cartridge like the 17 Fireball, 20 Vartarg, 20 Tactical, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet, .223 Rem., 22-250 Rem., 6BR, 6mm Rem. and 257 Roberts which all worked decent enough on coyotes but always liked the 223. It's accurate, not real loud and will still reach out far enough for my style of hunting.
So when Cooper announced the Model 51 a couple years back I got on the wait list for the old boring .223 ( but still my favorite)
smile.gif

I don't know if my Creedmoor is a lucky rifle. Many more days afield with nothing to show for it and I'll start packin another rifle. What scope do you have on yours?

Back