Fleshing Board ?

I just built a stand and lag bolted it from the bottom. My beam is made from a tree cut in half lengthwise then shaped with chainsaw.

I made this little one for doing faces and smaller things, there is a lip on the bottom, that makes it lock onto the work bench.

I Only used it a couple of times, and then a Taxidermy friend bought it from me. It's made from Mesquite.

This is my full size that folds up flat, and is also mesquite, I made it too.

I think that it's a good idea to have it narrow at the nose of it. Slow go from about 3-4" wide at the nose, and then go to about 6" wide about a foot down from the nose. I also found that it's important to thin the backside of the nose to make it thinner and easier to slide the pelts on and off. I also think that it's helpful to have the same arc as a 5 gallon bucket. Taken an old bucket and cut the bottom off, and then coat the inside with chalk and slide it back and forth, or side to side to find the highspots to sand down. This arc makes it easier for the fleshing knife to work as its intended.

Thank you..

I try very hard not buy lumber. I have a Chainsaw, and Logmill. When my neighbors loose a tree in a storm, they pay me to cut it up. I haul it away and use the logmill to cut the logs into timbers to make things like this.

I found that cutting the timbers into 3x12" blanks, stacking them and banding them together until they dry is a great way to have all the lumber you need for wood projects.

his is one I made, pull the two outside nuts on the spreader bar at the bottom and it folds up to slide into the truck. I've made a shorter one that slides into the receiver hitch(no pica). The long one is nice because I can set it up in the tent and stay warm while working.

Back