1-6 or 2-12 leupold VX6

seasley

Just got my stag 3G , now trying to figure what power of scope to purchase on the gun. I am pretty dead set on the VX6, but I am asking you guys opinions on what would you choose.

i am really like the 1-6, but the 2-12 has my interest also, just concerned with close quarter shots with the 2-12 scope

The 2-12 will do fine on close quarter shots. While it does not have the huge FOV the 1X has, it is still plenty good on 2X IMO....

How close and how often ?

VX6 is a very nice scope and either will serve you, but I would consider terrain, FOV, etc

I use a VXR 1.25-4 with the Pig Plex on a 6.8 AR because it's my stalking rifle and I hunt in dense cover 90% of the time.

I have no trouble shooting from 10-250yds with it. I've even used a 3-9x40 and 2-7x in the same terrain but needed a wider FOV so I went with a lower power.

The 1-6 has double the FOV which will make it great in dense cover and running shots.

Last edited:
I mainly hunt pastures and occasionally fields, but mostly cattle pastures. I will NOT take a shot past 300 yards, and about 99% of my shots and kills have been under 100 yards, so that's why I am leaning towards the 1-6

The 3-9x40 has a considerably smaller FOV than the 2-12x42 has on 2X. Yet the 3-9x40 is still plenty good for close up shots. The 2-12 would do very well IMO.

Now if 6X is plenty of power to shoot as far as you need, then by all means the smaller scope would be the better option....

Originally Posted By: seasleyI mainly hunt pastures and occasionally fields, but mostly cattle pastures. I will NOT take a shot past 300 yards, and about 99% of my shots and kills have been under 100 yards, so that's why I am leaning towards the 1-6

Get the 1-6X...

Originally Posted By: seasleyI mainly hunt pastures and occasionally fields, but mostly cattle pastures. I will NOT take a shot past 300 yards, and about 99% of my shots and kills have been under 100 yards, so that's why I am leaning towards the 1-6
That's basically the type of locations I hunt and I went with the VX6 2-12 with the German #4 reticle. I have absolutely no complaints. I have used lower power scopes in the past and really liked them, but I went with the 2-12 on this one because I just started reloading last year and wanted something with more magnification for working up loads. The field of view on the low end is plenty wide, and you have the option of really zooming in if needed. I put a MGM Switchview lever on mine to make magnification changes really quick.

The VX6 is the highest price scope I have ever used so I can't compare it to any of the other high end scopes. Before it the best scope I had used was a 1-4x VXr. With that said, I am highly impressed with the clarity of the glass. I can't see myself ever wanting/needing anything better for my hunting purposes.

I do not have the best vision and my eyes tend to do better with mid priced scopes than high end so you may see things differently.

The glass is clear, bright and resolution is similar to the VX3. However, the difference is the true 6x mag range, illumination and wider FOV.

Back