New to ars want to build one?s

zr600

I'm new to ars and would like to build one but don't know much about them. What parts come with a lower and what comes with an upper? Do I just pick a lower and upper and they come with everything I need? Just starting to look into it. What brands do you guys recommend?

Originally Posted By: cbass16Did you even open the "The Everything AR Info Thread"
Wow!..I been around here for a little while now and not sure if I have looked at that everything AR thread..looks pretty cool!

For a quick down-n-dirty (why am I still awake?) answer to the OP; The lower receiver is the part you will need to have sent to FFL Dealer, unless you get a partially completed one (seems like a new option the last year or so). The lower RECEIVER is the part that is tracked by the government....hence the FFL requirement.
Virtually every other component is available for purchase through the mail/internet sales whatever..
A good place to look for parts and to help you get a grasp of the different parts, IMO...check out joeboboutfitters.com.

you can buy the uppers and lowers either stripped or fully assembled I prefer stripped so I can put the parts in that I wish you can go from the best parts the average parts its all up to you and what your needs are. I have used Aero precision sets they're very nice and I agree also Joe Bobs has really good prices.

Yes i did and all the links dont seem to be working. It just directs me to the new forum link and i click on it and just takes me to the main forum.

Brownells has some really good videos as does YouTube. Watch several of them to get an idea of what all the parts are and the tools it takes to assemble one. I've got about $200 in my tools so factor that into your first build pricing.

Having said that, I think every AR owner should build one, its fun, easy and a great opportunity to get exactly what you want.

I recently completed a light weight build that came in at 6 lbs. with a loaded 10 round mag and optic, their are very few off the shelf options that will do that and none for the price I built mine at.

Originally Posted By: zr600I'm new to ars and would like to build one but don't know much about them. What parts come with a lower and what comes with an upper? Do I just pick a lower and upper and they come with everything I need? Just starting to look into it. What brands do you guys recommend?

After buying parts and $200 in tools, You can buy a nice AR. AR prices are back normal.

IMO if yo want to build a nice, accurate AR, two areas you can't go cheap on are the barrel and trigger. I have built many sub-MOA AR's with blemished lowers/uppers, standard lower parts kits but do yourself a favor spend a little extra on the barrel and trigger.

Another place to look for parts is Palmetto State Armory. Around Black Friday it seems they give stuff away (almost)
lol.gif
. They have some pretty good deals though!

There are some very detailed and complete instructions on www.ar15.com if you want to browse there.

The lower receiver is very simple to build if you can follow instructions. I've put them together in 30 minutes or less. Nothing much required except electrician's tape, a small hammer, and a pair of pliers. The upper receiver is a bit more complicated and requires specialty tools to do correctly.

Like the old saying "measure twice cut once" I strongly suggest that you do a lot of research before you jump in. Make your purchases correctly and don't waste money and time due to lack of knowledge.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelIMO if yo want to build a nice, accurate AR, two areas you can't go cheap on are the barrel and trigger. I have built many sub-MOA AR's with blemished lowers/uppers, standard lower parts kits but do yourself a favor spend a little extra on the barrel and trigger.

Another place to look for parts is Palmetto State Armory. Around Black Friday it seems they give stuff away (almost)
lol.gif
. They have some pretty good deals though!

^ this is good advice! because of an AR's design a lot of the other things don't really matter that much. but a quality barrel & trigger will be money well spent. Midway also has some decent barrels on sale once in a while. The AR Stoner brand gets great reviews and they can be had very reasonable. Some of the $75-100 triggers are pretty good as well...good luck

Me and two buddies just built AR last week. All of them were Aero recievers, that came assembled. The rest we got from JoeBob's, we went with Black Hole Weaponry barrels.

It couldn't have been easier and Aero Precision has the best recievers I've seen fit together.

I am willing to bet you won't just build one.
smile.gif

Prices are down and you can buy almost as cheap as you can build but being familiar with your firearm and being able to strip and service your own rifle is good to have in your back pocket.

As stated above build the lower yourself it is not that hard and you will be happier with a good trigger than a standard
AR combat trigger. On the lower pick a roll mark you like the trigger is the heart of it. Buy a good barrel, carrier and bolt and you have the heart of your platform. Barrel length, twist rate, profile and finish run the spectrum. What grain bullets you want to run will determine the twist you will want. The general rule is over 69gr and you will need a 1/8 or 1/7 twist. If you want to plink a lot with milsurp ammo then you will need a wylde or 556 chamber not a standard 223 chamber. There are lots of choices and no end of opinions but the best part is its a lego system for big boys so you can change it with little effort.

You decide you want a different caliber, barrel length etc just swap the upper, within reason of course as to what a standard AR lower can accommodate. as stated AR15.com has lots of information to build it yourself. Fair warning make sure when you are done not to have any extra parts left over not even a firing pin as they turn themselves into new rifles lol. Dont't ask me how I know
grin.gif
. Good luck!

Last edited:
Pick a lower you like and buy a lower parts kit WITHOUT the fire control group. Then find a trigger and stock you like and you should be gtg. I'm a billet lower snob and am partial to JoeBob's as a source. He has good deals on lowers (some allow roll pin free assembly). He also has good prices on lower parts kits. As to triggers, I run Giessels on most of mine, although I do have an ALG on one. I prefer A2 stocks and RRA make one I like a lot, the Operator A2 model.

As to assembling all of this, google/YouTube can be your friend.

A warning is in order here. Notice I referred to "most" of mine? These things are like Lays potato chips, once you start fooling around with them you may have to join BRA (Black Rifles Anonymous) to kick the habit.

Last edited:
Back