AR's and lost coyotes

GhostsoftheGrass

Was wondering on how many of you fellas shoot ARs and how many coyotes you lose. Last night we lost 2 coyotes with solid hits. They get up and take off with nothing to be found. Last year I lost 3, all running shots so I can't really say the shots were well placed. But I've never lost a coyote to a 22-250. My buddy who also lost a coyote last night and lost 4 or 5 last year. We lost majority to the 53 gr Vmax and 50 gr Zmax. Last night lost we lost 1 with 55 gr Nosler BT. Thoughts n wisdom will be appreciated!

not saying this to upset you in any way but ive been shooting coyotes with an ar for a long time and never lost one with a good hit. maybe hitting shoulder or something? what ranges?

Under 150 yds. Last night was first one I lost on a standing shot. It was frontal so on those there isn't much distance from a center shot to shoulder shot. But my body has lost all his on broadside shots. So I must be a better shot than him. All mine lost coyotes were from running shots so shot placement on those are tough to say.

ammo out of an AR is not any worse than the same ammo. out of a bolt gun. So not sure why you'd include the type of gun in your post.
Ammo, or better yet, the bullet used and shot placement are the issue.
Always cracks me up when someone loses a coyote when using a .223, or a .17 Rem., first thing to blame is the caliber. I always wonder what caliber it is that people stop blaming for cripples, and instead start blaming shot placement for reason of losing animals.

I went from 55gr vmax to 64gr power point and have not lost a dog since. I was having the same problem I was aiming at the shoulder and they would go down and get back up and run off. I needed to avoid the shoulder with the vmax now it has not mattered they go down but I still try to avoid the shoulder if I can. YMMV.

There is a difference from AR to bolt gun. Like at least 200 fps. Not saying that's the issue. I'm just saying I've lost em to my AR cuz that's what I'm shooting. And if your theory is correct then my 22-250 is dead nuts on cuz its never lost one. I just like the concept of the AR on being able to stay in the scope.

Originally Posted By: GhostsoftheGrassReloads. We've used 53 Vmax, 50 Zmax, and 55 gr Noslers. I'm in process of trying out 52 gr Sierra MatchKings.

I have no input on the AR issue but I have had great luck with the Speer 52 gr match hollow point. Punches in and nothing out. I have even made less than desirable shots from rushing/excitment and hit shoulder and they hit the dirt. Only one I lost was one I accidently clipped in the a$$ when I rushed the shot and he stepped forward. Couldn't connect on another shot and couldn't find him. Good luck.

Shelton

my reloads are running with at a respectable 3275 now for a 55 gr bullet. that's out of a 20'' ar. the ar is not the problem.

My reloads are a little over 3100 fps on 18" barrel. So... Lets get off the AR terminology. I said it cuz that's what I own. So now we'll refer it to a 223. Didnt realise that was gonna start kaos. Coyotes still run away from it more than I want.

all I can think to blame is hitting the shoulder. just about any .224 bullet out there will kill a coyote at those ranges. I try to look at shooting predators like bow hunting. its nice to stick one right up close to the shoulder but hitting it can sure ruin a hunt

Originally Posted By: GhostsoftheGrassReloads. We've used 53 Vmax, 50 Zmax, and 55 gr Noslers. I'm in process of trying out 52 gr Sierra MatchKings.

I hope you meant Sierra 52 grain Blitz Kings. The MatchKing is for paper punching.

I'm going with shot placement also. Amazing the will to live these critters have. Velocity aside there's not much difference between them. I use 60 Gr soft ponto and they usually drop in their tracks. The last one I hit facing me spun and bucked so I had to send a couple more to anchor it. CHeck scope mounts and shoot a couple groups to make sure there's no issues with point of impact.

Last edited:
ive lost a few due to shot placement, we all have. those frontal chest shots I have learned that my point of aim is higher that right between the shoulders. I like to hit them right in the base of the neck

Originally Posted By: possumalOriginally Posted By: GhostsoftheGrassReloads. We've used 53 Vmax, 50 Zmax, and 55 gr Noslers. I'm in process of trying out 52 gr Sierra MatchKings.

I hope you meant Sierra 52 grain Blitz Kings. The MatchKing is for paper punching.

Guess it might be different in the .223 world? In the .22-250 and up world, the 52 and 53 MK's are good coyote bullets. Better coyote bullets than the BlitzKing. Been a long time since I owned a .223, maybe the plastic tips are going slow enough to work okay in a .223. But I bet the MK's are still better.

- DAA

Back