More fun with Nagel 30's and Coyotes

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
Was finally able to get out and do some more hunting with this weekend. With my old partner Tim. I was using my .17 Predator with the new Nagel 30 gr. bullets, at about 4050 fps. We got into the coyotes pretty good.

I shot the first coyote of the morning, an adult male, at about 100 yards, frontal facing shot. Just a DRT bang flop and no exit wound. Textbook perfect!

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-3W.jpg

Second customer of the morning, came in on my side again. Got to see something unusual, have seen it a few times, but only a few. This coyote was barreling in at a gallop from my right side. I was tracking him in my scope and all the sudden he missed a step and did a face plant, HARD, right into the dirt! I mean, full speed, face first right into the ground. Remember, I hadn’t shot yet, LOL! He stood up broadside to me, at 75 yards, in a big cloud of dust, shaking himself off and had an embarrassed look on his face. That’s when I put a 30 grainer right behind his shoulder. Bang flop. No exit.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-7W.jpg

Next stand we had another fun experience. Have had a lot of coyotes hit the caller over the years, but never one quite like this. This adult female came charging hard straight for the caller. She was coming right up my barrel at me and I probably could have tumbled her before she reached the caller. But, I was feeling like a coyote hog, wanted Tim to get a shot. Was hoping she’d break to his side when she got up to the call. But she went all the way up to the call ten yards from me and started slashing at the Foxpro with a vengeance! I saw her jaws slashing, bit that Foxpro at least three times, just going to work on it like a chainsaw. Her teeth were flashing and slashing like crazy. Then she got he handle and battery pack in her mouth and started to shake the dang thing!! That’s when it dawned on me that she might actually damage the wires or something so I jumped up and hollered at her. She took off like a bat out of hades. Tim missed the running shot, I got lucky and rolled her up on a full run just before she got over the hill. About 75 yards, quartering away. Raked a hip up into the liver area, rolled her butt over tea kettle. No exit.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-8W.jpg

Tim got the next one with his .243, a big old female.

Then it was my turn again. Female, frontal facing, 25 yards, no exit.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-10W.jpg

Then we picked up a pair. I shot a huge old male, running at the caller, frontal facing, rolled him at 15 yards, he died five feet from the caller. No exit. Minute later an adult female came in and stopped to sniff the dead male and Tim dropped her. The female isn’t small. She’s a pretty decent sized coyote for this area. That male Is just freaking huge. Has to be in the top 20 biggest I’ve ever killed in my life.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-12W_1.jpg

Then it was Tim’s turn again, he whopped the crap out of one with his .243.

Then it was my turn again. Got another big male, not as big as the one two stands earlier, but still a big coyote and a real old timer. He’d been running this sage brush for a lot of years. Shot him at 80 yards, broadside, bang flop, no exit.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-17W_1.jpg

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-20W_1.jpg

Finally, last stand of the day, had a sneaker that I didn’t even see until I noticed her standing 10 yards away looking at me. A YoY female, drilled her with the frontal facing shot at 10 yards. Expecting some mess, but there wasn’t any. No exit.

201411Coyote%20Hunting-21W.jpg

After we carried that last little coyote back to the truck, we just decided to put up the tent right there for the night. Grilled up some good steaks, sat around sipping some good whiskey and talking about old times for awhile before bed.

First stand of the morning yesterday, we each killed one. Mine was a YoY female, 50 yards, broadside. Hit the shoulder and opened up a 50 cent piece entrance hole. Bang flop though.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-31W.jpg

Next stand, Tim got another one with his .243, had to shoot it twice. It was a longer than usual walk to the truck and the coyote was shot to doll rags, we just left it laying there.

Next stand, an adult female got all the way in to the call without offering a shot, then left, without offering a shot. She finally stopped to look back from 300 yards out and I put one right through her precious heart. Dropped her in her tracks. 300 yards, broadside, had a quarter sized exit wound.

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-32W.jpg

And that was pretty much it for testing the Nagel 30 gr. this weekend. A good time for sure!

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-41W.jpg

We did make one more stand on the way home. Tim shot a big old boss dog male. An old warrior, he had tattered ears, scars on his face, you can even see a couple porcupine quills stuck in his nose in this picture. Which also shows how old he was. Always special to get the old fighters like this one.

20141107_Coyote%20Hunting-47W_1.jpg

Need to call Chan this week, see if he has the 25’s ready to go yet. If he does, I’ll get some ordered to try out in the old .17 Mach IV.

- DAA

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Dave. Great weekend. I am shooting some of Chan's old 25s in my 17 Remington. I shot 8 coyotes a couple of weeks ago in Montana. I haven't loaded any of the new 30s I just got. Don't know if they will have enough oomph to them out of the 17 Remington. You can't ask for a better weekend than that.

Day-hum, Dave! Talk about a showoff!
tt2.gif

You don't let the grass grow under you do you? Most impressive. I don't use my .17 Remmy for more than colony varmints but sure would like to try it on a yote or two. You make it look easy you do.

Hey- when are you and Tim coming out with your next video? Been a long time since your last one and some of us are getting tired of waiting! What's the good word?

And keep up the good shooting. Don't kill them all though. I got a mess of catching up to do!

Good grief Dave, you guys knocked the snot out of them.

Yooos guys probably collected more fur in a couple of days than many here get all season. I am just imagining the numbers you would rack up if you did it for a living.

Last edited:
You know how it is. Sometimes, you just end up in the right spots at the right times and everything just works. I'm a pretty average caller, really. And my shooting skills are definitely in decline, just can't shoot like I used to, and that's a fact. Didn't do anything unusual, 15 minute stands, used the same jackrabbit sound I always use, let it play continuously like I always do. Just worked better than usual is all. It's nice to get lucky once in awhile
smile.gif

Rusty - no more videos planned. Actually, I plan to not make anymore
laugh.gif
. Had a lot of fun doing them, glad to have had the experience, but glad it's over too. Just a lot more fun hunting just to be hunting and not worrying about anything else. Not to mention, I'm glad you guys liked them, I really, really am. But! Me and Tim are lousy camera guys!

- DAA

glad to see you are able to get out and whack some fur Dave.
did you skin them??, if so, what kind of damage did you see.
so far Nagels 30's have ben SUPERB on the coyotes i've killed.

nice write up. hope your season goes well.

Skinned some of them, my left arm isn't working quite 100% and it was too hard for me to try and skin many. Love my old buddy Tim, but, he don't do the skinning
laugh.gif
. Damage was minimal. Except the one old timer on the way home, the ones I skinned were all ones I shot that had no exit, so basically, zero damage.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: ab_bentleyAir hose, makes it easy.

Adam

Hasn't ever worked very well for me. I've got onboard air in my Jeep, tank and everything. Tried it a few times, just never saw that it was any faster or easier? Plunging the shoulders and peeling the heads takes all the time and the air hasn't ever helped with those parts at all for me.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Mike BFor all the yotes you guys shoot, a hitch receiver skinning machine connected to your winch would make sense to me.

It's an idea I've had, believe me. The Warn on the Jeep pulls too fast, too hard for skinning though. Not nearly enough control - one click of the controller just pulls in too much line, too hard.

I built this one for the Jeep.

IMG_2569.jpg

Just a simple pole, and it works fine. But, as limited as cargo space is in the Jeep, I usually don't take it anymore. I just hang them from the dead coyote rack to skin them.

IMG_2506w.jpg

That's not perfect either though. After a few years of pulling on that rack skinning coyotes, the spindle that the swingout is on has started to sag pretty bad, which isn't good.

My partners old Tacoma doesn't have a hitch, so I made a base plate to put a tire on and that works pretty good too.

IMG_4274.jpg

His new Tacoma does have a hitch. But it has such a tiny bed that pole doesn't even fit in it. Some camping gear and a few coyotes and things get cramped in that truck!

201411_Coyote%20Hunting-33W.jpg

I built this one, using a boat trailer winch for my truck.

IMG_6032.jpg

There is another piece for that one, not in the picture, that I can hook them up to at the bottom and use the trailer winch to peel with. It's not worth messing with when there is only two or three to skin, but works great for a pile. But I don't take my truck very often. And just too much for the small cargo space in the Jeep. Even broke down into sections.

I've thought about just using the pole I built for the Jeep, with a simple come-along and a golf ball. Should work pretty good if there is something handy to anchor the come-along to. Have not actually tried that yet though.

Even with all these gee gaws I've built, seems like most the time I just end up doing it the old fashioned way!

IMG_2725.jpg

- DAA

Back