SAhort range p- dog rifle(22lr) (17m2)(,22mag)

NCVARMINT

Which one of the 3 should i take to wyoming on a p-dog hunt, this is for the close shots, i am taking 150 rounds for whichever i take. The 22 is a cheap gun i have, but shoots okay, the 17 mach 2 is a nef single shot, and the 22 mag is a marlinn standard barrel.

thanks guys

Take 'em all? If you really can only take one, I'd go with the .22Mag. Gives you a few yards advantage and is very effective within it's range. Haven't any experience with the Mach2 but what I've read it is fairly low powered even for prairie dogs. .22LR has proven itself over time and probably a bazillion prairie dogs so you can't really go wrong with it and if price is a priority might be the way to go.

Maybe I'm biased...I like to shoot the close ones with a .220 Swift...just don't be downwind of 'em when you do it.

I agree....a short range gun is always a short range gun. A long range gun is an "any range" gun. When in doubt go with the .22 mag. if you just have to have a short range gun.

I'd lean toward the .22 Magnum. Whichever you choose, should you find yourself in a good area with lots of dumb pups, the 150 rounds you are planning to take will last you less than an hour.

Couldn't help but notice you excluded the 17HMR. If thrown into the pot, it would be my favorite hands down. I have two rifles and a scoped S&W revover. The Smith is an absolute hoot. Shooting from a bench I love those ground squirrels or gophers at 50-75 yds. The Ruger 77 and Cooper are good consistent kills at 125 yds. Expensive ammo, but if you watch for sales on the internet it sure helps.

Taking a 22LR is a waste of ammo. The 22LR can't put a dog down they just crawl away to their hole. MAYBE the 17M2 being more explosive can get the job done and it's more accurate than the 22mag or the 22LR.

Back