Scope for 17 Hornet

castafly

I have two 17 Hornets that I've purchased recently - a CZ 527 Varmint and a Savage 25 Walking Varminter with the black synthetic stock. I wasn't going to get the Savage, but I saw it for a highly discounted price and couldn't resist. I think I'll use the CZ for shooting varmints from a table or a rest, and the Savage to carry. I'll shoot anything from ground squirrels to coyotes with them. Now I need to scope both of them, so I'm looking for recommendations for each, given the quality of the gun and the intended use. I'd love to get high dollar glass, but at this point I'm looking for mid-priced scopes, or scopes that offer the best bang for the buck. I haven't been keeping up on the latest optics info, so any input and specific recommendations (new or used) would be appreciated!

Last edited:
For the CZ, I would recommend a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x ($175 after Burris' $100 rebate) or a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x ($325) from Cameraland NY. For their respective magnification ranges, these scopes are very nice for the price. On the Savage, I would look more in the 2-7x range. What are your preferences in terms of reticles, features, etc.?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb8600For the range you will be shooting the 17 Hornet, I would stick to a 9 power max.

Yeah, 9-10 Max would be plenty. And I would go with a VX-2 or 3. Or a Cabelas Instinct Euro scope.

Back