my friend's marlin x7 25/06 need help cant get it to shoot under a inch

varmit_master

I have been working with gun. It has a 6x18x40mm on it. The powder I have tried RL19 22 IMR 4350 4831 H4831 and the bullets sierra 117 gr gk speer 100 gr hot core 117 gr SST and rem 87 gr HP and nosler 85 gr BT using win brass CCI primers . Has anybody have the same gun they could give me some data please help. Thanks

Someone having the same gun with good load data wouldn't do you any good. As P.O. Ackley stated years ago "barrels are individuals". My experience with a Rem. 700 was that the closer I was to max, the better it shot. With all bullets. It did have a strong preference for Hybrid 100V. I loaded a Marlin X-7 in 30-06 for a friend of mine last year and it shot pretty good, .75 to just over an inch. We ordered a Boyds stock for it and now it is a true half inch gun. AND ITS PRETTY!

Thanks I told him we could get it shooting. That we may have to buy a new stock. He said he wasn't putting anymore time or money in reloading stuff. Funny thing he hasn't bought a thing but one can of powder. And it is mag pro. I fount some brass he said buy it and he would give me my money back still waiting. I bought the brass bullets primers powders and Die's . I about had my feel of it. I got it to shoot a 3 shot group today with imr 4350 and a 87 gr rem HP. That wasn't good enough. He won't shoot it after I load his bullets. I will help him his time on his gun but not on anymore. I think the stock is touch the barrel somewhere. Thanks again.

The stock issue on the one I worked with wasn't from touching the barrel, it was jumping inside the soft plastic stock. Once in the laminate boyds, it didn't move around so much, it may even do better with a bedding job, but $100 was his limit, kind of like your guy.

Think I might tell this guy to go find some factory loads he likes and leave you out of it. Sounds like he wants all the gain with no pain type of deal to me.

That being said I load a few different 25-06 and have found accurate loads for all of them with 117 gr SST and H4831sc using a middle of the road powder charge.

I have several friends that I help out and load for but if they act like what your describing this guy as they can go somewhere else.

Also the X7 is a bottom of the line budget rifle. Some cheap guns shoot great and some don't. This rifle may not be a sub moa gun. You can't always expect to shoot bugholes with a 300 dollar rifle.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my Stevens 200 in 25-06. If your sure your not having a bedding problem then the next thing I tried was magnum primers . This helped me. I am using 53 grains of H4831sc , Remington 91/2 m primers and 117gr Hornaday SST bullets.

Last edited:
Check the barrel crown and make sure the barrel is free floating. Might want to go back and examine the rings and bases for tightness. Also, is the scope known to be good. Sometimes tightening the rings and bases and changing scopes can get the desired results. You didn't specify the brand of scope. some brands are suspect from the get go.

I will help my friends out with their reloading projects, but they need to show up with their own dies and components unless I shoot the same caliber and them they can pay me the cost of components.

Last edited:
Definitly go over the rail mount screws and scope rings. You might go over to www.marlinowners.com and ask around as well. They have an area for the X7's.

Mine in .223 turned in an honest 1/4" group the other day. But I have done a lot of load development work to get it there.

BTW, I think your friend needs a "come to Jesus" talk.

I bought some more type bullets to try in it. He said he was going to order a Boyd stock. To try on it. It looks like the factory stock is touching in one place. I my sand it down. I had a 700 adl 22 250 one time I couldn't get it to shoot good. So the gunsmith glassbeded it and floated the barrel and it turn out to be a tack driver.

Sandpaper wrapped around a dowel is a lot cheaper than a new stock. And that gun may just shoot the well at best. Or the shooter may be doing his best for 1" Only on the internet is every shooter putting touching groups in at 1000 yards.

I know I can, buy I think the others are lying.

Last edited:
I noticed on your list you missed the best powder ever made for just about anything...H-4350 !!! If it won't shoot with it then it's just not going to shoot and sub one inch groups and besides other than benchrest competition I hardly think it matters in the hunting world whether a gun shoots 1 inch groups or 1 1/2 inch groups.

I took the stock off tonight and the stock is touching the barrel in 3 places. I have new TC venture rifle 25/06 . I loaded imr 4831 53.1 gr with a sierra 90 gr HP gk 5 shots u can cover with a dime. Same way with 50.5 gr RL22 117 gr SST 5 shots the same way at a 100.

No load info here but I do own a X7VH in 22-250. When I got it, it would shoot a inch or a hair under even with me shooting it. I pulled the stock off and there are two pressure pads at the front (on the heavy barrel model at least, never handled a sporter). I bought a boyds thumbhole which free floated the barrel and now it will shoot .5-.75" if I don't screw it up. I was fine with the way it shot before for coyote hunting, but why not make it better and a bit prettier? Hah. Good luck!

Shelton

Own 4 marlin X rifles: 7mm-08. 308w. .223 and a 25-06 that's now a 7x57. Rebarreled the 25-06 simply because I wanted a smaller case cartridge....it shot well when a 25-06 as have all my Marlin rifles. With right load, expect them all to shoot 1/2-3/4" 100 yd groups. Matter of fact, took the .223 to range this morning and one 4 shot 100 yd group was 1/2", with three of them in basically the same hole.

Anyway, first thing I did after trying one of my Marlins was to do as suggested before....make the barrel free floating and reduce the trigger pull by adjusting it lighter. Worked for me. But as mentioned earlier, perhaps you just have one that will not shoot well.

Occassionally run into a fellow shooter at range with a Marlin X rifle. Like me, theirs shoot quite well for them.

Keep trying.

I have an sx7 in .243 that shot about 10MOA out of the box with factory loads. I ended up free floating, glass bedding, and bore lapping (tubbs final finish). Seemed to do the trick, I was able to work up sub MOA loads after that. If your not willing to go through all that trouble, make sure screws are tight and hope for the best, I guess.

10moa for a modern rifle out of the box is worth the trouble of driving it back to the store. I don't pay to fix defects.

Originally Posted By: UncleFesterSomeone having the same gun with good load data wouldn't do you any good. As P.O. Ackley stated years ago "barrels are individuals". My experience with a Rem. 700 was that the closer I was to max, the better it shot. With all bullets. It did have a strong preference for Hybrid 100V. I loaded a Marlin X-7 in 30-06 for a friend of mine last year and it shot pretty good, .75 to just over an inch. We ordered a Boyds stock for it and now it is a true half inch gun. AND ITS PRETTY!
thumbup1.gif
..."barrels are individuals"...perhaps should be in BOLD at the beginning of every reload forum, manual...etc.,lol
I have a Marlin X7Y in the youth model and am very satisfied with 1" groups. 243 Win. 100g Sierra, 95g NoslerCT, and 55g NoslerCT.
5 shot groups ~1" @ 100 yards.
I think a person could spend a great deal more money for a rifle and have the same results.... or less..JMO

Back