Blaze Orange & Coyote Hunting

Chizzy

Hello:

I have been invited to go coyote hunting tomorrow by a seasoned coyote hunter; however, there is currently an open gun season on deer in our wildlife management area that requires ALL hunters to wear a blaze orange vest / jacket and hat.

Would we be just wasting our time? I have had chance encounters with a couple of coyotes while deer hunting while wearing blaze orange; however, I have always been up in tree stands at the time.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Chizzy

I wondered the same thing around here however unless you're hunting big game you aren't required to wear orange. Although I did were an orange cap I wasn't required to and did it for my own safety.

I've called coyotes wearing blaze orange while big game hunting. I don't think you will have a problem.

As I understand it, canines don't see color like we do, so they see in shades of grey. This lets them spot movement very well, though.

Proven fact: Canines can NOT see orange as a COLOR. They perceive it to be a light shade of gray ... almost a white. However, it can glow like a light if the sun hits you. Stay in a shaded place and do as said above by trying to break up your outline a bit. You should be fine.

I have photographed blaze orange even in sunlight and it actually makes great camo in most settings. It has been posted here many times.
I have killed many coyotes and had them come in to the call at arms reach while wearing it.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458 I think it is a better color to have on than anything that is blue.

I'm surprised to see this response. It is a fact that the color blue is one of the very few colors that canines can actually see. Good on ya gumboot, not many people know that.

Chupa

Blows me away that people use blue tarps at their moose camps up here or wear blue jeans hunting. IMO blue and solid black are the 2 worst colors there are for hunting. .

I have worn orange on many stands and have never had a problem. When I go home to coyote hunt, late muzzleloader is in and it is not required to wear orange if not hunting deer but I do anyway so I don't catch one to the face from one of the yayhoos that hunt around there.

Shelton

I am much more worried about being shot by some idiot during the general rifle season than being spotted by a coyote. This is even more of a concern if you are using mouth calls! Watch the wind, limit your movement and you will be just fine. We all know of situations where somebody was mistaken for a deer and got shot. Remember, that blaze orange is designed to keep YOU safe.
P.S. That critter in the photo to your left came in to my mouth call at 18yds. He never heard the shot!

I just called in and killed an old female coyote just last Saturday while wearing my orange vest. She never saw me and I killed her at 50 yards.

Not saying it will or won't... Just saying it seems contradictory to wear camouflage and blaze orange and at the same time... Try using the blaze orange camo... So it won't look like just one flat shade of grey... Then like stated above lean into the shadows...

I've heard that blue is the worst color to wear for calling coyotes because they can actually see it, but I've killed a good percentage, maybe even most of my coyotes wearing blue jeans. Not saying that is the thing to do, but I don't pass up an opportunity to go call because I'm not all camo'd up. Don't flail your legs around in the air, and you'll likely not have a problem.

A buddy killed a nice male yote last year on an elk hunt. We were both wearing orange as required by law here. Although we weren't calling I think it can be done. If it were me and there was an open big game season even if not required I would have at least an orange hat on.

Back