new ar cycling problems

bomberhat

Long story short I built a high end Adams arms piston driven mega arms upper and lower and mega spr 18" rifle length gas system with a rifle buffer and buffer spring and tube, since it would not load the next round I swapped out the rifle buffer with a carbine one. It cycles now just fine with good factory ammo but it won't with any cheap stuff. Anyone else have experience with this or thoughts? Thanks

Don't run cheap ammo. Some of those AR's can be pretty tight. A couple hundred rounds of good stuff and it will probably start cycling cheap stuff.

Originally Posted By: bomberhatLong story short I built a high end Adams arms piston driven mega arms upper and lower and mega spr 18" rifle length gas system with a rifle buffer and buffer spring and tube, since it would not load the next round I swapped out the rifle buffer with a carbine one. It cycles now just fine with good factory ammo but it won't with any cheap stuff. Anyone else have experience with this or thoughts? Thanks

I'd call the manufacturer. I have yet to see an DI AR choke on any kind of factory ammo except Wolf. I don't have much experience with piston guns.

Could be something simple, like a misaligned gas block. Cheap stuff is generally underpowered compared to the good stuff and it might be enough of a gas flow difference to cause problems.

What caliber., 5.56? What ammo works vs what doesnt work?

Sometimes the gas port has to be enlarged to operate a piston gun. Its a lot more rare these days, but it can happen.

I would inspect the gas block. Is it adjustable? Double check the alignment as crazy mentioned.
Is the oprod and spring aligned properly at the gas block? Is it binding at the upper? Does it line up with the bolt? You should be able to see where gas is being vented after 25 rounds or so.. Piston guns are a pain in this area, they never seem to vent the gases in a good place. If you are seeing discoloration around the gas block, you could have a gas leak....

And as kpk said, a lot of times they need a few rounds to smoothen everything out... How many rounds do you have through it? How did you clean and lubricate the gun? How often/how many rounds between clean & lube? What lube did you use?

With that being said, i would call and talk to someone at adams. They are getting ready to release a piston 308, so i would think they will try really hard to get you sorted out as quickly as possible.

I have never built a piston gun from scratch, but i do have a piston 308... Its gas port is about twice the size as a regular gas 308....

Its a 5.56, the gas setting is correct, I did adjust the op rod by moving the gas block away from from the upper a few thousands, tula ammo won't cycle but american eagle cycles fine, seems to be OK now I don't have many rounds through it. I'm curious if anyone runs a rifle length piston on a 18" barrel with rifle spring and buffer.

If it won't cycle Tula then it's most likely properly gassed for good brass ammo. Rifle length gas (regardless if its a piston or not) will be less likely to cycle Tula due to the lower pressure. Carbine gas systems have a higher pressure with a quicker cycling action and thus will cycle Tula better.

Back