gas block

Originally Posted By: groundhogassassindoes adjusting the gas block do anything for accuracy?

I have not personally seen it make much differnce. Of course once I find the sweet spot there isn't a lot of changing to do.

Greg

Originally Posted By: groundhogassassinwhat exactly does the gas block do? mine is still in the position it was in when I bought it

An adjustable gas block adjusts the gas that cycles the action.

Originally Posted By: groundhogassassindoes adjusting the gas block do anything for accuracy?

No it just is used to slow down the BCG.

Originally Posted By: groundhogassassinwhat exactly does the gas block do? mine is still in the position it was in when I bought it

The gas block funnels the gas from the gas port in the barrel, to the gas tube and sends the gas back into the upper receiver to actuate the bolt and bolt carrier in order to extract the fired shell casing and facilitate loading.

Adjustable gas blocks are mainly used for proper timing when using suppressors, different powered loads, or sometimes to correct for an incorrectly drilled gas port.

The really effect cycling and not accuracy.

Originally Posted By: JOKERNot to hijack -- but ---
Do you have to run adjustable block to put can on AR ???
Thx

it's not a bad idea, but weather or not it's necessary is hard to determine until you actually start shooting a suppressor on your rifle.
If you're running a .30 cal can on your .223 (as many predator hunters do) then I would doubt you'll need it. The .30 can has a large enough volume and bore, that your back pressure likely wont spike the way it will with a .223 can.

Now, if you run a .223 can and you notice your brass is getting banged up, or you get stove pipes or pass overs...it's usually because your BCG is running WAY to fast because you're getting too much gas. An adjustable will fix it.

Adjusting the gas block will do nothing to the accuracy. An adjustable gas block can provide a reduction in recoil and a faster recoil recovery (which can aid in faster target acquisition for follow up shot). It can also make a gun a bit cleaner running. Also, if you start adjusting the gas block, shoot all of the various ammo you intend to shoot thru it to make sure it cycles reliably.

An adjustable gas block might allow you to shoot a load that is super accurate in your rifle but may not cycle well do to pressure issues. I found a really accurate load in my Grendel with H322 that wouldn't cycle well, but I was able to get it tuned in to shoot with an adjustable gas block.

If you are over gassed couldn't you move the gas block forward a few thousands or more until the problem is solved? Couldn't any regular gas block be moved forward to reduce gas.? Conversely reaming the gas port will cure an under gassed setup?

Originally Posted By: tactikelIf you are over gassed couldn't you move the gas block forward a few thousands or more until the problem is solved? Couldn't any regular gas block be moved forward to reduce gas.? Conversely reaming the gas port will cure an under gassed setup?

In theory yes. In practice no. When you change your load you would be chasing the placement. Life is to short to dick with something so basic. Why beat your head against a wall. Many blocks are going to be pinned or thread locked. Not as effortless as it sounds.

Greg

An adjustable block can also help reloaders have their brass all land in a neat little pile. I put one on one of my AR's a few years ago and even though it's adjustable I haven't fiddled with it since my initial adjustment when I installed it.

Back