Need help deciding

bobschauber

I am thinking about purchasing a FLIR PS24 for scanning and a M845 Mk.4 2.8x Red dot sight for id and shooting. I wanted to make a purchase last year and didnt. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck ( like everyone else ). I will be making shots between 50 and 200 yards. I mostly hunt in fields and hedgerows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have the M845 its a great scope and a lot of field of view, especially if the coyotes may get in close...
I would spring for the PS-32 not the 24...

That is a great scope, if you can spring for the PS-32 it would be better but for most detecting you can get by with the PS-24 at the ranges you mentioned, the PS-32 would be worth the upgrade in the long run though.

I hunt with a M845 and a L-3 Thermal Eye X50 at similar distances, the combination works really well for me.

200 with a m845 is not a problem with a little practice and a good IR, at those distances the 24 should work well as long as your environment is not all rock or heavy timber that will hold heat longer.

Sounds like I may need to save up some more cash! I don't want to buy things that I will just want to upgrade! This stuff is too dam expensive! What about just getting one of the thermal rifle scopes?

Atn x sight or photon xt 4.6 1/2 the price of I^2 night vision.
The ps32 can be had for around 2300.00 vs the ps24 for 1700.00
I have both, the ps32 for 5-600.00 more is well worth it to me.
Not from a better image point (they are both too similar to tell the difference), but for the 2x zoom feature.

The atn x sight 5x-18 is shipping, so some reviews should start hitting the internet.
The day pics I have seen are very impressive.
Deer 800yds 5x
Deerat800yards.jpg

Last edited:

"The ps32 can be had for around 2300.00 vs the ps24 for 1700.00"

I'm real interested to know where you can buy a FLIR PS32 for $2300.00. I looked for a month and could not find a price like that anywhere.

Thank you guys for all of this great advice. Hardware I think I will take your advice. The refurbished ps32 and something similar to the x sight! Thanks guys

FYI, The refurbished FLIR comes with a one year warranty, it DOES NOT have the three/ten year warranty. I called FLIR and was told that they do not transfer warranties, so if you buy a used unit you might be out of luck as far as any warranty goes.
I weighed the price difference and chose a new unit.

Last edited:
I picked up a ps32 that is used but looks brand new off ebay for 1640.00 but had to pay tax, so total price was around 1750.00 delivered.

Just looked at ebay prices are 2600.00+ for the ps32, before summer prices were around 2100-2300 buy it now for the ps32. I saw several listed.

Keep us posted on what you bought and how you like it.
Pics are always nice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hard_wareI picked up a ps32 that is used but looks brand new off ebay for 1640.00 but had to pay tax, so total price was around 1750.00 delivered.

Just looked at ebay prices are 2600.00+ for the ps32, before summer prices were around 2100-2300 buy it now for the ps32. I saw several listed.

Keep us posted on what you bought and how you like it.
Pics are always nice!

Those ebay prices sound pretty good. I really don't like dealing on ebay because there are too many ways to get burned. Even so, the quality level of the Flir ps32 is so high, that I don't think you can go far wrong buying one in the dark ie ebay. I bought one used from an individual and except for losing the lens cover haven't had one iota of difficulty with it. Flir does warranty their tube whoever owns it, at least that's how I heard it from them. I am happy every day I use mine and it really raises the level of hunting productivity. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I think a PS32 and a digital scope are a killer combination for folks on a budget, and that describes me. My Photon XT and Flir have really been working for me. My wife is beginning to wonder why I'm not home nights. Ha!

There are two models of the FLIR PS-32, both have the 320X256 microbolometer but the PS-32 has the 19mm germanium lens and the PS-32R has the 35mm lens. The both have InstaAlert and brightness adjustment and are the same except for the lens size, but the PS32R has a built in video output port for recording the image which the PS32 does not.

I normally recommend the standard PS-32 with the 19mm lens to most hunters because it has a wider FOV and excels for finding downed game in thick underbrush as well as being able to detect a fox, rabbit, coon, coyote, hog, deer, etc out 350 yards. At night, WFOV is your friend.

The PS32R with 35mm lens has a longer range of detection out about 600+yards, but the FOV is 1/2 the standard PS32. The larger lens with the same microbolometer increases the detection range about 2X but also makes it more difficult to find downed game at night due to the smaller FOV.

They are both ergonomic and easy to use and the internal battery lasts an entire night of hunting.

I have both of these and use them all the time, my PS32 is 3 years old and is my standard Go-To, if I forget to bring it out with me on a night hunt everyone is extremely mad that I left it at home....you will see 10,000X more game animals than you ever saw with any night vision device, it is a total game changer for night hunters.

Takes awhile of practice (couple of months of use) to learn how to judge size and distance but once you have enough experience not a problem, using it around the farm at ranges that you know is the best way to prepare for going somewhere you are unfamiliar with at night.

PS32RCamo.jpg

A FLIR RS32-35 or RS32-19 also makes a great thermal weapon scope for night hunting with similar range as previously mentioned above:

Here is a video I made through the FLIR PS32R-35mm:

Deer are 50 yards out and otherside of pond is 250-350 yards away in the video.

Originally Posted By: TCSThe PS24 is down to $1575 on amazon.

Looks like about 6 sold yesterday and now it is back up to $1944.83

Good find, though. Wish I would've jumped on that deal!!!

I have my ms224 a yellow color unit, same as the ps24 but yellow.
I have the instalert added and the lights for the buttons turned off.
With the flir software the features can be user set. I will send it on a cd.
Unit is 2yrs old, works like the day I got it.
Will ship with a cd with the flir software to enable or disable the button backlighting, change time for timer to auto shutdown, the instalert mode or the marine red mode.
Only going to sell it to someone that is registered and has posted in the forum.
Under 1 yr warranty left plus the 7yr left on the detector. Registered to me thru flir so warranty might have to go thru me if ever needed.
$1100.00 PM me if interested, also have ls64 for $4000.00
Not wanting to sell to just anyone thats why its not on ebay or craigslist but for members posting in the night calling forum.

Mods if you do not want this posted here just delete it, don't put it in the for sale section.

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I purchased the new atn XSight 5-18 and the flir ps32. I know the x sight might be a wild card, but I am going to give it a chance. I am super excited to get my ps32! Thanks again everyone!

Back