Brakes

wicka

Anybody using a muzzle brake on there varmint guns? Not AR's.
Are they worth the added cost, or worth installing
Any thoughts pro or con
thanks

Generally a brake makes it much louder for the shooter. A can will reduce muzzle movement and noise; in my opinion they are worth getting.

I have a levang linear on my .223. Well I took the barrel off last night, but the brake is still on there. A .223 isnt exactly brutal but it did make a bit of a difference in recoil and it was a smidge quieter behind the trigger. Nothing ground breaking in either one.

Originally Posted By: obaroGenerally a brake makes it much louder for the shooter. A can will reduce muzzle movement and noise; in my opinion they are worth getting.

I rarely got to see the hits with my .220 Swift before putting a muzzle brake on it. Part of the fun of prairie dog shooting is watching the tosses and before I had George Vais put one of his famous brakes on my gun I usually had to rely on a spotter to tell me the hits (or, ahem, misses sometimes
blush.gif
) with it. Yeah, it was louder but the bit more noise was well worth it.

Not sure that I would bother with one in something like a varmint weight .223 but for a .22-250 and up to me they are well worth it.

I put one on my Savage 223 model 11.It makes hits and more importantly misses easier to spot,the crosshairs never move off target.I caught a lot of flak from my prairie dog shooting buddies but one of them got an extra brake I had and put it on a 223 to take next year.We all wear hearing protection anyway and usually shoot different directions so the noise doesn't bother too much.

Save your money and your ears and don't put a brake on it. I experience very little differance in muzzle jump with a JP brake and another I recently tested on 223 model 11. You absolutely had to have ear protection. Accuracy was not increased and in fact as soon as the brake was removed and the thread protector went back on the groups were more consistent.

On a .223 a brake seems to work best to maintain sight picture and muzzle rise during rapid fire shooting an AR. "My opinion"

If you were bench shooting prairie dogs I be more likely to stick 10 lbs. of weight in the stock vs. a brake any day.

Originally Posted By: wickaAnybody using a muzzle brake on there varmint guns? Not AR's.
Are they worth the added cost, or worth installing
Any thoughts pro or con
thanks

People who don't like brakes don't have to use them, nobody's gonna force anyone. You're in Montana with lots of colony varmints there, groundsquirrels and prairie dogs. Before brakes we went through all kinds of hassle to keep the gun from jumping.... leaded stocks and a variety of bolt-on lead weighted plates. Now brakes are a much better solution. With guns shot off bags a brake makes it all more fun. Even a heavy barrel .223 is nicer to shoot when braked......feels like a 22lr, it'll just sit there and hardly quiver....... crank the scope to 24 or 32 and watch the whole show. That's what you want off bags, to use lots of scope power and have the view nice and steady. My large boltface guns weigh up to 20lbs or so and are still braked, they barely move when shot and there's no muzzle rise. The guns in my avatar are large boltface chamberings from 22BR to 257Wby....... they all have brakes and are a pleasure to shoot. The unbraked sporter is a truck gun. Defintely wear ear muffs - people should do that anyway - and there's no problem.

I have brakes on my two specialty pistols ,savage striker in .308 win and M.O.A. maximum in 6.5 x 47 lapua I shoot rifle scopes on both,always wear ear muffs and never been bit yet.

I just put a brake on my savage .308 and love it,after having neck and shoulder surgery the recoil of bigger cal rifles was just to painful even the .308 would get to me after a few shots, now I can shoot 40-50rds with no problems.

Back