A Boar and a Bear

Gman757

I joined a new lease a few months ago and set up a feeder to see if I could get some hogs in. I have managed to pull in a few but it's tough right now because there are tons of acorns in the woods for them to feed on. I have killed 2 descent boars night hunting and had another small sounder coming in but they seem to be gone for now.

I now have a very large boar coming in but he is proving to be very elusive. He only shows in the daytime and usually at different times. Sometimes he will show a few days consecutive then will not show at all for days. I have a cell camera on the plot so I get the pics in real time. I can get from my house to a stalk on the feeder in 40 minutes and twice I have stalked him and gotten busted due to wind shifts. This land is at a boundary layer that is prone to sea breeze effect wind shifts and on one of the stalks the wind had shifted 3 times by the time I walked about 100 yards. Needless to say he was long gone when I got to the plot.

I have been on the road with work a lot but should have some time soon to see if I can outsmart this big ole hog. I get text pictures in my phone every time he is there and it's getting very frustrating to see him there and not be able to hunt him. Hopefully he won't get killed by another hunter before I can get a shot at him and I will be able to add a photo of this big boy with a 6.8 round in him.

Anybody care to guess what he weighs?

This is my nighttime visitor. He knocked my feeder down but it's all metal and he could not get to the corn so he just hung out a while then left. I staked it down and I will see how that works out next time he shows. Looks like I will have to switch to hanging feeders for this area now!!

Last edited:
That's a big ol' hog. I don't have a guess on weight, so you'll just have to ground-check him and let us know!
grin.gif

Update:

I set this feeder up on a lease to pull in hogs for me and let the other members hunt the Bucks that were coming in also during the current archery season. I joined the lease just for hogs and made the assumption that any hogs killed would be incidental if another member shot one with a bow. WRONG !!!

I stay off the lease on the weekends as courtesy to the deer hunters but I found out today that a guy went after this hog Saturday and shot it. As I understand it the hog ran off and was never found. Needless to say I'm pulling the feeder and will change tactics to random corn drops with cell cameras or spot and stalk at night. . I just found out its every man for himself at my new lease. I was hoping to get to weigh this big hog but it didn't work out.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51That Hog sure was Fat!
Can you shoot the bears?

Are you kidding? They are protected.....they're so cute why would anyone want to shoot one?

Back