first aid kit for the field!

Just wondering what kind of first aid kits you guys take in the field.Did you buy a kit or did you put your own together..Lookin for details on what is in your first aid kit....Never really thought of how important a first aid kit could be until I injuried my self on my own property.. Now looking back what would I have done in the field by myself...All comments are welcome..

You would be better off to make your own kit. You will save money and get what you need. Most of the kits contain items that will never get used. I carry a medical jump bag in my vehicle.

Out in the field, I carry a roll of medical tape, a roll of kerlix gauze, a few bandages, and couple of 2"X2" and 4"X4" gauze pads. These are carried in my call bag. These few items will take care of just about anything you encounter in the field.

Ibuprofen, bandaids, and antibiotic ointment. Any injury that I can't fix with that will require a trip to the doctor anyway.

I carry 4 band aids for finger cuts. Moleskin for blisters. Small roll of med tape. 2 4x4 gauze pads. 1 roll of gauze. 2 alcohol prep pads. ibuprofen. 3' of duct tape. A Lighter. All fits into a sandwich sized ziplock and weighs next to nothing.

Also carry a small UV water purifier that works with a Nalgene bottle, a GPS with extra batteries. 25ft of nylon string.

I'm interested in reading more thoughts on this. I have a generic kit from some "mart" in my pack, but as I found out this weekend after digging a nasty mesquite thorn out of my thumb with my Leatherman Squirt (love that little tweezer), most of the stuff in it's old and ready to be replaced. I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

Go homemade. I got some bandages, gauze pads, alcohol wipe things, and a pair of latex gloves in case I get a deep cut on my finger. Fits into a small ziploc that I can stick in my back pocket. Any worse injuries I'll just go to the house.

Is this for just taking out with you while hunting? How far from your truck will you be? I usually don't carry anything when I go out because I am in areas I can get to my truck in a short time. And I can use what's on me to stop bleeding. Gloves, belt, sock, knit hat, bottom of shirt. But kerlex is great stuff, it's a gauze but can be used as a bandage or a dressing.
I have carried a couple of battle dressings in my pocket before. They are all wrapped up about the size of a deck of cards but when unwrapped they have a nice pad dressing hooked to some cloth that looks like a triangle bandage. Put the dressing against the wound and wrap it up. In my truck I always have a field bag with 4X4s, kerlex, hand cleaner, aspirin, needle and twizzers to get out thorns, hemostats for putting stuff out. Bottle of water so long as it does not freeze. Bandaids for little things, plastic wrap or Vaseline gauze. Nothing will top you brain when things happen and they are going to clean clean clean at the hospital or clinic so I don't worry about things needing to be to sterile. I dropped a tree stand on my head once and used my cotton glove wrapped to the top of my head with my rope used to lift my bow into the tree. Finished hunting then went to get a few stitches. I looked funny but it worked fine.

Are you looking to save a life or just prolong your hunt? Very different priorities depending on what you're concerned about.

A lot of my hunts are overnighters and even on some all dayers I find myself up to 10 miles from my vehicle. My 'kit' stays in my pack 365 days a year, don't even realize its there really. Luckily I've not needed it very often and usually it only comes out for one of my less prepared hunting buddies!

I carry a few large Anti-Clot bandages in case of an Accidental shooting or knife wound. Very similar to what the military guys carry. Something that may save ones life in the field. Other than that I can walk back to the truck for a bandaid.

I asked my wife (she's a DR) to put one together for me a while back. I don't have access to it right now, but I will say that she put things in there that I would have never even considered. There is a ton of info and suggestions on the web if you search it out. I will say that two things are imperative: A way to stop bleeding and an extremely sharp blade. Lets face it, you aren't going to do surgery in the field but you do have to stop bleeding from an injury. Pain is tolerable if you have to do a little cutting on yourself to remove something that has impaled itself. Depending on the situation that might or might not be the appropriate thing to do.

Depending on the distance you travel from your vehicle and the terrain you are dealing with your kit will vary in it's contents. Do research on the net and pick the items that you think are appropriate for your particular situation.

Back