10/2 NY Report

mjfritz07

After bow hunting the afternoon and seeing a surprising number of deer (76 degrees out) we hit 3 stands after dark.

First stand we had eyes in the field as we exited the truck. Made our way in about 400 yards or so to the stand. We originally thought the eyes were fox but after a growling and oct pup distress sequence we had a couple higher pitched barks from inside the treeline 40 yards to our right. So I'm guessing it was a juvenile who watched us walk in.

Next stand put one of us on each side of the road in cut fields. I had eyes immediately 300 yards out. Looked like a small fox. He came in about 100 yards closer in response to my PC1 mouthcall. Then headed on a run across the road (right behind my truck) and into a field that was chest tall grass. My partner never saw him so he must have went into the woods and way around to cut our wind.

Last stand had an owl on the way in. After walking to our normal set we found the field had never been mowed all summer. Darn near neck high in some spots! We did see three bedded doe and a nice 7 or 8 pointer. Called for ten minutes just because we walked so far. Nada. On the way out a possum had joined mr owl on a nearby branch. So we stopped and squeaked and took videos lol. That owl was super confused.

All in all a good first night. The Fusion is AMAZING!

What I've found out after several years of night calling under my belt is that is not about the kill... Heck I've called 2 in this week 1st was shot and not recovered, 2nd....2 guys called 1 in with in 20 yards and none has our guns loaded. We've laffed all week over that 1. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the memories

Originally Posted By: mjfritz07We count any time we hear or see predators as a successful night. Hopefully this season isn't as cold as last year.
X2

Just curious, but are you calling the same general area you're deer hunting? I always carry a rabbit distress and sometimes a howler while on the stand for deer in case ole Wile E shows up. I haven't done any night calling during deer season cause I'm afraid I might chase the deer outta there for a few days.

I've had a barred owl show up overhead at night last winter when I was calling. It's enough to almost make you change your underwear when he starts vocalizing 30 feet above.

I usually don't hunt my deer spots. Not the same terrain I'm looking for. Although I do keep a RedHat closed reed low volume distress call with me when I bow hunt. Just for when I get bored, and it's quiet enough not to spook any deer.

There was a study done on radio collared deer and night hunting. Sent guys in with dogs coon hunting and tracked deer movements. All the deer spooked during the hunt but within a short amount of time after te coon hunters left they came right back. Darned if I remember where I read the study [beeep]. Predator xtreme maybe?

Interesting study. Thanks for the link. I thought I heard a single lone howl about a week ago before sun up while I was bow hunting. After deer season I'll switch to predator mode.

Back