Anyone Near Spirit Lake, Iowa?

Smokin250

I am heading to Spirit Lake Iowa First week of Nov, and was wondering if anyone lived in the area. We are going to pheasant hunt, but would like to hunt early mornings or evenings for coyote. I have been here several times in past years and hunted each times with no luck. Anyway, I was looking to see if anyone had any guidance as to where to go, or any other advice.

Thanks
Brian

Quite a ways from me (3 1/2 hrs). I would guess the coyotes would be hard to call if the pheasant hunters are out banging around. Try areas away from bird hunters, timber/wetlands.Paul

Thanks for help. We have been fortunate enough to find private land last time we went with a very nice gentlemen. I hope to find some more this time.

I'm About An Hour.Away. Calling Is Tough. Stick To Calling At The First And Last Light Of Day. Mid Day Is All But A Waste Of Time. Further You Can Get From Roads And Houses The Better.

Sounds good. I will have to try it out. We have met some great people out there over the years, it would be great to hunt a little private land right before dark, or like you said at day break as well.

Smokin, the harvest is late this year, so the corn is just starting to go out. The pheasant hunters will be out in force, so good luck trying to find private ground that may not have been pushed. I am just across the border, we have best luck after ice up and trying sloughs.
good luck.

Coyote and red fox are very active when combines are taking out corn. I like fields with 1/4-1/3 still standing. Rabbits are being pushed around and predators are trying to take advantage. The coyote and fox do not worry about the machines until the rounds get close. Use the distress rabbit and coon pup sounds.

Awesome, thanks guys. I will take stab at it.

DakotaBoy, That's what I figured. I heard corn was still in, which makes it tough. I was hoping that going second week of season would help a little due to less people being there. At least its not bad in the past. There is so much public land around there though, we rarely run into anyone.

It would be sweet to find a coyote or too.

Some guys really concentrate on hog confinements, always dead pigs around for the coyotes. If you can go a little south and hunt around the Little Sioux River you may get away from the pheasant hunters some. Good luck!

The corn fields that are left will be holding coyotes. I think they prefer standing corn to CRP acres. Look for fields with mowed waterways , get down wind and get ready,.

Just saying coyotes in area you will be hunting see a lot of unfriendly vehicles in fall and winter. They know the differance between farm machines and hunting activity. They will shift around their territory and hang tight to areas where there is not hunting pressure. Standing corn is great cover and small mammals,birds are the food source.The later it stands and more isolated from road traffic the better your odds coyotes are staying in the field.

Got back yesterday. Pheasant numbers weren't all that great, and my shot to kill ratio wasn't either!! Didn't get to coyote hunt at all, but saw one while hunting down near milford. Ended up getting sick on Wednesday and din't get to hunt anymore. Still had a blast hunting with my dog.

Back