bowhunting injury?

Sitting here with a broken ankle (not hunting related) and just wondering what I would of done if this injury happened in the field.Anybody ever hurt them self on a hunt..If so let's hear it.Could be anything from cutting yourself while skinning a animal or getting bucked off a pack horse,broken bones,falling from a tree stand, cutting yourself trying to take off a broad head with no BH wrench...Anything goes let's hear the hunting injuries.Pics are welcome ..Just trying to pass some time on my road to recovery...

Fell from a tree stand while climbing. My stand was in a Burr oak that only needed a couple steps screwed in and then easy climb using limbs to 20ft. It had snowed, the branches were covered, guess who had forgotten to put their hunting boots in the toolbox on their truck, yup me.. I was wearing my everyday slick bottom cowboy boots and pin balled all the way to the bottom. Luckily nothing broken (me or my bow) but some unbelievable bruises.

I have a habit/routine to check my broadhead for tight when I load it in the bow. Once while doing so, a great horned owl landed on the limb beside me and the next thing I know I'm bleeding profusely.

Most scary/serious situation was during a elk hunt. I had killed a very nice 6X6 bull, as we took care of getting it packed back down to our base camp (base camp elev. 10,500 lol) we had gotten soaked from rain/snow and sweat. But we were on a roll, and the very next morning pushed ourselves right back up to get after one for my partner. Somewhere in between he had caught pneumonia! A retired special forces soldier, and stubborn as a mule he began arguing with me that he was still fit to hunt.. I spent that night on the mountain wide awake listening to, and making sure, his breathing remained somewhat steady. The next day got him to the truck and down to an emergency room. Every since he has blamed the illness on me, and we laugh!

Wow I can only imagine how bad those bruises could be falling from a tree stand...But the whole staying up all night listen if your buddy was OK that most of been nerve racking....I have never hurt myself in the field or had a close call (knock on Wood)... But I did get a anxiety attack which was my first and last one and I swear I was going to die sleeping in that truck...Thought I was having a heart attack and my arm was going numb and I could not stay still I was shaking like I was freezing to death..Boy was I glad when we hit the road in the morning..Worst night in the woods I have ever had...I use to think anxiety was a joke but now I fill for the people that go through it on a day basis...

I sliced my hand pretty good a couple years ago boning out an elk in our camp a ways off the beaten path. It bled profusely until we got it under control (God bless feminine hygiene pads
grin.gif
). Drove out to the nearest clinic for a few stitches. Had it been worse, there could have been real trouble, as we definitely can't get from camp to the hospital in time to patch up a real life-threatening injury.

I also pulled the stupid "removing a broadhead without a wrench" trick and sliced my thumb open. Luckily this was at a buddy's place and his neighbor was an EMT. We stopped the bleeding and pulled the flaps close enough together to get some tape around it. That one shoulda had stitches too, but by the time I got it looked at the doc said is too late and just used strips to hold it together to heal.

That's the worst of it though; nothing real major.

Nov 17 2012 around 8am.Had three does run behind me inside a tree line.I just new this buck ive been chasing was going to be on their backside.The problem was a limb right in the way.I got out of the stand and was standing on the top of a climbing stick leaning out and trimming as quite as possible when down i went.Apparently the stick had bent into the tree and with rubber boots on never felt it.Fell 20 ft and right leg landed in a split of the tree at the bottom..Femer went thru the hip socket.Surgery pins,screws and 3months of no weight allowed on right side.IM OK.A little background my dad owned and operated a tree service.So literally i grew up in a tree.The only difference is i didnt have on a safety belt.Lesson learned accidents happened.PLEASE WEAR a HARNESS.I came back from this injury very well.Played a lot of softball the last two summers.Could have gone the other way very easy.Im still hunting that deer. lol

Lanceb...I agree 100%. I know of 2 people who fell out their tree stands and are now paraplegic. Always use a harness. I've been lucky with hunting injuries (knock on wood). In the field, I scoped myself once...nice half moon shaped cut in between my eyes. Butchering a deer, I ran a hand saw across the other hand that was holding the deer's leg. I've definitely been lucky, so far.

Sheesh I cant believe I forgot to include this one in my previous post. Four years ago thanksgiving, I went out for a morning hunt before all the family arrived. Do to deer movement the previous morning I had decided to change my stand location about 50 yards (no problem I use a climber). During that process I ran an inch diameter sapling a beaver had chewed off into my calf. There were dozens of these little foot and a half long spears hiding and blending nicely in dead grass of the same height. The spear slid up the back of my boot and calve to the bottom of ball/head of my calf muscle and penetrated about three inches.
I was only a mile from the house thank goodness! Cinched a t shirt around it as tightly as I could get it and headed for home.

Beavers paid a heavy toll after that, I cleaned them out of that stretch of creek.

Back