need a new chopper

Rich44

I've been using a Kershaw Outcast for years but my nephew really took a liking to it so I gave it to him and since their not making them anymore I need a new trail clearing knife, weight is not a issue it mostly stays on my 4 wheeler anyway, I'm thinking about a Bark River Grasso Bolo III but am open to suggestions

Since you're carrying it on the 4-wheeler, why not get a real "chopper"?
Axes trump Machete's and all those trendy "bush craft" knives every day.

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=20HBS28

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=JP20HB24C

OK,,, the truth is,,, I've been trying to talk myself into one of these two and I'm hoping you'll buy one and review it before I spend my hard earned Social Security money.
grin.gif

I am a fan of the Woodsman Pal. Quite handy and useful for brush clearing.

Otherwise, a Fiskars/Gerber hatchet is a good option.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Otherwise, a Fiskars/Gerber hatchet is a good option.

I swear,,, you kids and your plastic.
whistle.gif

Give me good ol carbon steel and Hickory.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Otherwise, a Fiskars/Gerber hatchet is a good option.

whistle.gif

cool.gif

I know, Charlie. But they are some dang fine cuttin' tools. And I was gonna put an oldschool disclaimer on my original post...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Otherwise, a Fiskars/Gerber hatchet is a good option.

whistle.gif

cool.gif

I know, Charlie. But they are some dang fine cuttin' tools. And I was gonna put an oldschool disclaimer on my original post...
wink.gif

Sorry bud,,, couldn't help myself. hehe
Plastic aside though,,, the two you mentioned are admittedly very good tools.
Matter of fact,,, this year's firewood has about killed my old splitting maul and after some googlefoo, I'm looking hard at Fiskers for a replacement.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunFor the money the Fiskars cannot be beat....

I agree. I like the splitter as well as my axe I have. They just plain cut.

Originally Posted By: RePeteSince you're carrying it on the 4-wheeler, why not get a real "chopper"?
Axes trump Machete's and all those trendy "bush craft" knives every day.

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=20HBS28

http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=JP20HB24C

OK,,, the truth is,,, I've been trying to talk myself into one of these two and I'm hoping you'll buy one and review it before I spend my hard earned Social Security money.
grin.gif

Charlie
I do carry a 2# hudson bay camp ax and they are great (I really like the one in your second link you posted I think I need to replace mine now, I'll let you know how it works
thumbup.gif
) mines just a cheap one but it works great.

Where I spend most of my time hunting we have huge patches of multiflora rose and greenbriar vines, I use to put a Kevlar vest on my Springer or she would come out a bloody mess when grouse hunting, plus all the wild grape vines.
We have to open up the trails each fall when we get down there, and the old Kershaw outcast was pretty good at wacking through hanging vines.

+1 on the Fiskars splitting ax my brother just got one now I need to get one for the camp

Yea,,, those Velvet Cut's are getting good reviews.
I like seeing them give those uppity European axe makers a run for their money.
smile.gif

I have my favorite old Plumb DB Cruiser and a cheap no name 1 3/4 pounder (similar to Councils Boys Axe) that's handier than a pocket on a shirt but I'm pretty sure it's from Chinaland so it goes against the grain to use it. Council makes some good tools so that forest axe should be a nice step up.

I looked at that Bark River knife.
That thing's a beast! I'd hurt myself with something like that.

Howdy guys...I'm new to this forum but a long time Hunter & Bushcrafter. If you want a serious knife get a TOPS....Made in USA & most models are 1095 steel. you want a Chopper check out the TOPS Bushcrafter Khukuri 7.0
Knife Works
Or the TOPS .230 Machete...
http://www.knifeworks.com/topsmachete230.aspx#.VE7FjRatyp0
I have both & love'em both...I have several different TOPS knives & ESEE & have had ALOT of other brands of knives....TOPS is my favorite hands down.

This cheapo cold steel has served me well for about right years now. Cuts through brush quick. This was a light strike on a sticker bush.

I sharpen her up with a file pretty quick, and she's cheap enough it don't hurt
smile.gif

I velcro the sheath to my atv !

Now iffin a fellar wants to cut a lot of brush........

Probably to much plastic for Charlie's taste, but I like it. Cut through a small iron wood in about ten seconds. Sharpens up with a sthil chainsaw file.

LOL,,,, nope,,, I have several of Sthil's "cheap plastic" products.
smile.gif

Spent a good portion of my fur money on this baby a couple years ago.
It's a beast!

Still think the good lord intended chopping to be done with a good carbon steel/hickory handled AXE though.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tactical TomHowdy guys...I'm new to this forum but a long time Hunter & Bushcrafter. If you want a serious knife get a TOPS....Made in USA & most models are 1095 steel. you want a Chopper check out the TOPS Bushcrafter Khukuri 7.0
Knife Works
Or the TOPS .230 Machete...
http://www.knifeworks.com/topsmachete230.aspx#.VE7FjRatyp0
I have both & love'em both...I have several different TOPS knives & ESEE & have had ALOT of other brands of knives....TOPS is my favorite hands down.

Welcome aboard Tom

I have a friend over in MT that swears by those Tops Knives.
I've never owned one but I handled one of his and liked what I saw.

Originally Posted By: RePeteLOL,,,, nope,,, I have several of Sthil's "cheap plastic" products.
smile.gif

Spent a good portion of my fur money on this baby a couple years ago.
It's a beast!

Still think the good lord intended chopping to be done with a good carbon steel/hickory handled AXE though.
laugh.gif

He sure did, nothing like a double bit Kelly axe for chopping. I got that sthil for briars that came up in my creek banks. Can't do much with it using a axe, and you'll get cut up using a machete. That old weedeater with the blade zips right through.

Just seen your link for the axes. Didn't know of any were still made in USA .

Those plumb axes are hard to beat too. Been turning my grandpas old tool shed into a fur shed today. Took some pics of his old axes.

Here's a broad axe and a broad head hatchet.

Here's a double bit, not sure of the manufacturer.

Back