Is it slow where you are?

Kizmo

The title says it all. Misery loves company. It's as slow an October as I have ever seen in south Georgia. In my last two dozen stands or so (morning, evening and night), I've called up a grand total of two yotes (missed), one bobcat (not in season yet) and a white German Shepherd from across the highway. The only yotes I've heard were a pair in the woods off one pasture and a pack across the river. That's it. AND, every place I hunt is actively calving. Over 800 calves on the ground in one place, don't know how many in another. Ought to be hearing them by the dozens.

How about all you other fellas?

For being in Utah we've actually been doing better than normal. Killed 8 and missed 2
thumbup1.gif

We've been doing fine here. Alot of pups this year, 20x more than I've seen in past 3-4 years. Killed 59 coyotes in the past 3 1/2 weeks.

Slow for me in Missouri.....crops have been out for a bit( corn and cotton )
late beans still all over.....so maybe after they get them out it'll be better
I live in the Swampeast part of MO......Southeast Bootheel......wont be long the deer hunters
will be out shooting at anything and everything that moves.....I do anything but hunt for those 11 days of pure lunacy. Most dangerous folks I have ever seen. No kidding, I dont even like to drive on county roads during that period. I look forward to that being over .THEN my coyote season really starts

I think that the calling has been slow and they really don't seem interested. Jack sends them running the other way.

Last weekend i saw a few, and called in some coyotes, but it just felt slower than usual for me.

I chalk it up to the heat. (mostly because i don't like sitting out there in the heat)

Been bad slow in W Ky. Not sure why but I havent been able get a reaction out of anything other than vocals and that has been real weak! And I been trying hard to get coyotes infront of my pup, so I been trying hard and no dice!

Haven't had a chance to get out after them in a long long time.
But there is a whole lot of them around.
I've been listening to them every night and most mornings.

And like SandCountry, we're about to start our duck and cover routine during deer season.
We'll start wearing our orange while outside in the next week or so when youth deer season starts.
And we'll continue wearing that nasty orange until around Jan 1.

Been hearing them at night ..seen about a dozen road kills and to top it off I am recovering from a broken ankle and can't even go out and play...All my buddies are putting them down really good this year compared to last 3 or 4 years....Are you hunting private land or public..

Pretty active here ( 19 0f 54 called), but it does go in streaks. On a fair roll recently with coyotes called on last 5 evening/sunset stands.Real good lately with a lot of corn coming out ..Abundance of coyotes of well fed coyotes with the males averaging 35# / females 32#

I shot 8 last week, but weather was too warm and sunny so that limited my stands. First called coyote took 36 minutes to come in. Would have left early, but saw him at the 20 minute mark and he tried to circle but couldn't get my wind. The next coyote came on the double. It was mixed reactions for me throughout the week, but there are plenty of coyotes out there at this time. Still running in family groups.

Well, I'm glad everyone is not having as sucky an October as I am. Part of my problem, I think, has been the new place I've been hunting. 5,000 acres, at least half pasture and they're calving. Called up the two that we missed (at 20 yards) on the third stand on the first day there. One was as orange as Morris the cat on the old 9 Lives commercials. About a mile of pasture borders a 30,000 acre plantation/nature preserve, which is where we called up Morris. I've been hitting that place hard, trying to get Morris. The pasture in that area has a thick stand of scrub oaks which obscures the property line. Last week, I finally got tired of not seeing anything there for a month and decided to go through those to actually look at the property line. Lo and behold, the damned plantation has a freakin' prison fence around it! 5 ft. hogwire with barbed wire strands at the top and the bottom. I'm 5'11" and the top barbed wire strand was at eye level. Walked a good 500 yards of the fence and couldn't find a single slide big enough for a yote to squeeze under.

That being said, I'm still not hearing many, and you'd think with the 800 calves on the other place, they'd have lost one or two by now. I hunt there year round. Maybe I've become the victim of my own success.

I have only really hunted part of two days in both Colorado and Texas but calling was better in both areas than last year. Numbers of young seemed up to me as well.

My friend and I have tried several times here in Western Ky but not a single coyote ever showed up. They are howling like mad all over the place and one would think there were hundreds of them all around. One evening my friend was talking to his wife on his cell phone and she could hear the coyotes and how much there were.

Three or four years ago, at the place with the 800 calves, it was nothing to stand at the south gate and hear 6 or 7 big packs of coyotes competing to see who could make the most noise. Now, despite all those calves, the only yotes I hear are one pack across the river.

Slow around here no howls at night nothing but I have got to watch the twin fonds growing up in the pasture next door. The bucks are harassing the does.

Back