why come running now?

22cat

Monday night I went into a spot that had some sign back in the spring. I let out a howl and about 4 it sounded like howled back about 150-200 yards down the river and 2 more older sounding ones about 400 yards up the mountain. 2 of the 4 howling down river came up the river down wind of me howling then all of a sudden shot back down the river then made a sharp 90 and up over the mountain making warning barks the whole time. I thought I would just stick with it and maybe the 2 up on the mountain would come down the holler to check things out and present a shot. I did rabbit distress off and on and finally on the 20 minute mark, 2 came running in from down river where I originally first heard them howling. the one I shot was a yearling male, the other got away. but I have thought and thought on it the past couple days and can not figure out why after 20 minutes they decided to come running in. It was 40 some steps to where i shot it with a hand load of lead bb and it broke that thing down like it was nothing. of course he only weighed 20 lbs.

I guess, If we fully understood them It wouldn't be as much fun.. Or maybe not
smile.gif

Congratulations on the successful hunt!

If they were down wind, my guess is they smelled you. The two young ones came looking for for the other 2 that went up over the mountain. They are tricky jokers...that's why we chase them!

Originally Posted By: possumalSimple curiosity gets a lot of coyotes killed.

thats the best i have came up with. i feel like they never left from where i heard them howl and the 2 giving warning barks had them on hold and then finally the itch got the best of them and they came running in full speed ahead. i have had this happen 3 other times with coyotes and ounce with a bobcat. one coyote incident and the bobcat was i was calling very little and waiting 5-8 min between calls and thought maybe they only moved in while i was calling and thats why it took so long. the other coyote incident was i could hear birds raising cain up on the mountain and assumed it was a bobcat and called pretty continuously for an hr as i heard the upset birds working towards me. they got withing about 60 yards and a coyote came flying off the there so fast i didn't even get my gun up and he was gone. the other time was just like Monday night. but i had a highway about 400 yards below me and about the 20 min mark he came running up the ridge full speed so i figured maybe he was across the highway and traffic had him held up. if it was not for all these instances where when they came they came at full speed instead of just walking in then i wouldn't question it as much. but due to these assurances i believe i have been leaving my stands way too soon and on most occasions should start staying on stand for at least 45 min instead of my typical 15-20

Originally Posted By: Realtree555If they were down wind, my guess is they smelled you. The two young ones came looking for for the other 2 that went up over the mountain. They are tricky jokers...that's why we chase them!

the 2 that came in, came from the direction the ones left in that was making warning barks. the only way they would have missed one another without me seeing them would have been if they crossed the river but the one i shot was not wet at all. the only other thing i can think of is the warning barks happened right on top of me but through the and sort of a bowl in the land and the 2 i called in was further down the river and did not hear that and they came from way down the river and when they got to where i originally heard the pack respond to my howling, the heard me making that rabbit distress and came on in. the problem with that though is its rock cliffs below where i heard them howl and it seems they would have to swim or go all the way to the top of the mountain around the cliffs then back down to get by that section. i am truly stumped on it, i just cant figure it out. probably just the good lord blessing me with a beautiful coyote. i guess it don't have to make since

Its because coyotes care more about territory, than they do food, breeding, and sometimes their own safety...
What does your dog do when he sees a dog walk by out on the street? Coyotes respond the same way...Maybe not as vocal or direct, but they have to see who is invading their territory, whether with site or smell they will check it out.
It is my belief that coyotes respond to the call 90 % for territorial and curiosity reasons vs. hunger...

Last edited:
Back