Tikka t3 lite/long range??

There are alot more positives to me than there are negatives.

Isn't long vs short action just a preference to one or the other? Or is there something I'm missing?

What savage in my price range ($550) is as good as the tikka? I have looked at some model 11/111's, but I read as many bad reviews on those as I have on the Tikka.

Thanks

Tikka only comes in ONE action length, long.

For example, the Savages you mentioned, the 11 is a short action, the 111 a long action.

A short action Tikka is actually a long action that utilizes a bolt stop for the short action cartridges....

If you have to ask, then it probably won't be an issue for you.

Personally, I prefer my short action cartridges to be housed in short action receivers. But that's JMO....

I like my Tikka T3 Lite 223 1 in 8 twist with 18" barrel. But then again I bought it used and cheap. Interestingly I never noticed the long action thing.

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterThere are alot more positives to me than there are negatives.

Isn't long vs short action just a preference to one or the other? Or is there something I'm missing?

What savage in my price range ($550) is as good as the tikka? I have looked at some model 11/111's, but I read as many bad reviews on those as I have on the Tikka.

Thanks

Simply.... a long vs short action is one is longer then the other. For most people, it really doesn't matter. But a shorter action means less metal being used, which equals less weight. And a stiffer action which means better accuracy, all others being equal.
You're buying a short action cal, but Tikka doesn't make a short action gun, just a long action with a stopper.

I don't know what the prices are in your area, but in mine a similar savage cost ~30% less then a Tikka. I have personally shot 3 tikka's and 5 savages. I couldn't tell you which was the more accurate one of the 8 guns. The difference IMO comes in how they are built. And I do strongly feel they (savage) are better guns.

Along with metal parts where it counts, (and a trigger guard certainly counts imagine breaking that) you also get way way way more in aftermarket support. I live in a small city and I know I can get a aftermarket stock, and trigger for a savage, within 15 min. I don't know if anyone makes a trigger for a tikka, and they only recently made one stock... Heck it's actually common for people to turn the lowly stevens into a benchrest gun, I have never heard of someone doing that with a Tikka.

Buy what ever pleases you. I bought a Tikka, before I knew about guns, and the more I learned, the less I liked it. You don't even have to buy a savage, my next budget rifle will most likely be a Weatherby Vanguard, which comes in, in my neck of the woods, at almost half the price of a tikka.

Now that being typed.... I really don't want to bash Tikka, just for the sake of bashing something.
It does work, it is as accurate as anything else I own, and it has a decent trigger.
I don't like them, because I can say the same thing about several other guns, and all of them are IMO better built, and most importantly cheaper.

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterThanks for the feedback. If i need to, i will pay a machining shop to cut me a recoil lug out of steel.

I read somewhere else that the lug getting dented/bent, wont happen in the aftermarket stocks. Why is that???

If there is anything else that you guys think i should know, please tell me.

Thanks

yes getting a good recoil made is not a problem. It taking the barrel off that is frends don't let frends drive tikka

Last edited:
I have owned many rifles, I have reloaded for over 30 years. I acquired my first Tikka ( HB 204) a couple years ago on a trade for a 10 gauge semi.It is the most accurate 200 yard factory gun I have ever seen. It doesn't matter bullet or powder its sub MOA. I now have 6 Tikkas!!!.( 2 x 204, 2x 223, 22-250, and 7mm Rem Mag.)
The recoil lug is not what I am used to but it works at least up to 7mm Rem Mag. I didn't like the plastic mag, but Ive never had it fail me. Stock is a bit twangy,I added a $5 spring to my trigger and its very good. and I could care less what the trigger guard is made of ????
BUT...these things flat out shoot, you will be hard pressed to find another make that will shoot out of the box like a Tikka,in the price range or for several hundred dollars above, savage would be a number two. But there is no comparison between the fit, finish, and smoothness between Savage and Tikka.( savages feel cheap) and your more prone to hit a scattered DuD with savage. BTW I have seen many failures with the metal, savage mags. My experience is that it will take about 100 rounds to get your Tikka settled in , most guns are the same.
BUT my favourite thing about Tikka is the repeatability from a cold bore. Even the T3 lite, will place the first bullet exactly where it placed it yesterday in similar conditions. My 22-250 can shoot a 1 inch group at 200 yards with 5 bullets, each bullet fired on a different day. Many rifles can't do this. My next purchase will be another Tikka.

All,

Knowing this thread is 2 years old, I'd still like to ask about the ergonomics of the Tikka vs the Weatherby Vanguard S2 stocks. The Weatherby looks like it's more comfortable and has a nice cheek riser built in.

For any of you that have handled both, does the Weatherby "feel" better in your hands when shouldered?

I'm asking specifically about the feel of the hands, shoulder, and cheek rest on the stock.

I have to buy sight unseen as I can't find any locally in my LGS's.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I like the feel of the Vanguard better, but that doesn't mean you will. I think it feels more solid.

There is no way anybody else can answer this question for you.........

I have had the Weatherby Mark Ultralite and the Weatherby Vanguard, and several Tikkas wood and synthetic.
For the feel of the stock alone I preferred the Weatherby Vanguard, but did not keep the Weatherbys.

Back