Any fur friendly 243 bullets?

CJW

I've read plenty of stories of grapefruit size exit holes but has anyone tried to find a 243 bullet that is fur friendly or even found one on accident? Core-lokt's, partitions's, etc.?

Thanks

I've shot two yotes with an 87gr vld hunting. One was at 60yrds and the other at about 150. Both had quarter size exit wounds. It's bye no Meens hard fact at just two yotes to say its fur friendly..... So take it for what it's worth.

This is what I found reading on here. I bought some just haven't worked up a load to try yet.

Barnes 243 varmit gernade 62 gr. hp

Originally Posted By: CJWI've read plenty of stories of grapefruit size exit holes but has anyone tried to find a 243 bullet that is fur friendly or even found one on accident? Core-lokt's, partitions's, etc.?

Thanks

In two weeks when this topic comes back up, I hope you post your findings in that thread. Assuming of course you can find it.

Chupa

Probably lots of bullets. What is not friendly is the velocity. If you're shooting 100-200 yds you'll probably want to download to somewhere around 223 velocities with similar weight bullets. I think the 243 and 22-250 shine at longer ranges. Look at fur friendly calibers for the ranges you want to shoot at and emulate them in the 243. At the very least try to find a starting load het is accurate in your rifle and use that if you're shooting shorter ranges.

I've had no problems with my 243wssm and 55g Nosler Balistic tips. I'm loaded down to 3600 fps. I can get over 4000. It's funny that you will get a million opinions by the time this thread is over. Some guys say they shoot the BT's and get a mess every time, I dont. However with that being said I still prefer my Tac20 with the 35g Berger to save fur. It's a laser to 400 yds.

I have little experience with .243 in fur saving. when watching Randy Anderson videos several guys shoot .243 even on fox and bobcat. Generally this is unheard of with little damage showing. I believe in one video there was mention of a midweight hunting bullet.
This may be similar to me using a 55 gr psp in .22-250 for minimal hole 25 ft and on.

The yotes I've killed with the Nosler 55gr'ers had no fur damage.
And That's with a 243AI. Very Fast.

The yotes I've killed with the 243 and Berger 80 gr'ers look like a Bushhog ran over them, massive scattered coyote parts, fur, entrails, eyeballs, etc.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThomCUse a 100gr. Less expansion and slower than varmint bullets. But, will be less lethal with a marginal shot.

Yep, it will only kill them "mostly dead".

Chupa

This is from a 95gr vld at 100 yards. Bout a silver dollar sized exit. Not horrible but not great. I've shot a few with the .243 and have not had grapefruit sized exits. I'm working on a load for the 80gr berger to see how those do

70 grain Sierra MatchKing. I load em to the minimum charge of Varget. Even had some decent luck on fox with them. Disclosure: They are officially not a hunting bullet.

I'm trying the 58 grain factory Hornady VMAX this year as they are super flat shooting and fairly accurate. My only fear is if I hit a shoulder bone they could splash. Amazing ballistics out of this ammo.

Last edited:
I love my .243 but Im yet to find a good fur round. My last 50 rounds of 70 gr Berger left holes the size of volleyballs....they were nasty.
I have never tried 55 gr bullets..might go give some a try.

Cheers!!

I shot about 33-34 coyotes with the 75gr Vmax at full speed and had 1 with pelt damage. My shots were from about 20yds to just over 400. In all cases except the one, there was no exit.

I was very surprised, as the 22cal 60gr Vmax in my son's 223wssm at about 3,700fps created some serious 'daylight' on coyotes, both through splash and exit wounds.

In my 6mm I have shot 65grn V-max, 70 grain Nosler's, 87 grain sierra game kings, 95 grain SST's and 100grn sierra game kings. The 65 grain V-max were about 50/50 if it didn't exit or splash on the entrance was fur friendly. If it exited I could pick up feet and ears. I quit using this bullet because of bullets coming apart in the grass in front of my intended target. I went to the Nosler's and these have done better. I usually get an exit but if I don't hit the shoulder usually get a silver dollar sized exit. If you hit shoulder all bets are off. the best I have found is the 100 grain game kings. usually about a quarter sized exit. There again if you hit a major bone they make a mess. I usually don't even bother to take my 6mm if I am looking to keep fur. I have found My 6x45 with 70 grain Nosler's is much more fur friendly. At the lower velocities this round just seems to put them down without blowing them up.

drscott

I have had very good luck with Barnes 80 TTSX. Coyotes about quarter to silver dollar exits consistently from 50 to 300 yards. Only shot 1 cat with them and 50 cent pc. exit which is what most of them are. Hit hard and haven't had any runners. Rifle has been a 6 xc with 8 twist 26" long and a 20 and 24" .243 9 twist. For this caliber I feel they are hard to beat.

I use a 95 gr nosler BT and while It always goes through, it doesn't leave a big hole. I use it when it's windy, although windy in montana isn't anything like windy in Wyoming, Best to take broadside shots instead of head on though, doesn't Mess up the good part of the hide.

62gr Barnes varmint grenade over moderate load of IMR 4895. Running approx 3500fps. No exit as close as 40yds but not saying they won't closer. But did split one hip to neck on a grazing 300yd shot, but the frangible nature really showed, luckily tumbled him and then anchored with second round.

Back